Abalone....love it or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abalone....love it or not?

I like them and I would like to add one to the stable. I just have not seen a watch that I truly want yet.

My only concern would be that I would want to do a minute and hour hand mod to clearly see the time more easily.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

I love me some Abalone. I have 2 in my watch boxes now and am thinking about adding a third one. I do find it harder to wear though. The Abalone is very overstated, where the MOP is a little more understated. So when I grab this one from Wing around Christmas time with the bike chain bracelet, I will probably end up selling either my SAN I Abalone or the one Neil posted above. But then again, I might just keep all 3. Time will tell.

All I have to say Bob, if you like the iridescent watch you bought, you will like the Abalone dial. Just try one.

After I have consumed the meat, I think the shell makes an interesting watch dial material, just like the MOP, carbon fiber, and meteorite. As collectors or guys who buy a lot of watches, I would think you would want a lot a variety in your collection. In my case two is enough.

Like everything under the sun, it's a personal choice. It matters not what others think. If you like it, own it.

For me, abalone dials remind me of of women's fashion or costume jewelry. It's not something I would personally wear.

I like it, but not quite as much as MOP. I especially like it with rose gold, as in the Aragon I posted in WRUW.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Prefer it to MOP, but don't see a reason to have more than 1 or 2 executions, it's a "fun" watch not something I'd wear daily. Getting a little played out at the moment IMO.
My favorite to date is also the gray enforcer it's the most wearable and toned down version, if that's what you're looking for.

I don't hate it ... but I surely don't like it as much as MOP ... This is a hard question ... Is this gonna be on the test?

I like it but not on me. Looks pretty but there is a limit to how much pretty I will wear. But Wings Evo jammy jam in black looks tempting.

I love me some Abalone. I have 2 in my watch boxes now and am thinking about adding a third one. I do find it harder to wear though. The Abalone is very overstated, where the MOP is a little more understated. So when I grab this one from Wing around Christmas time with the bike chain bracelet, I will probably end up selling either my SAN I Abalone or the one Neil posted above. But then again, I might just keep all 3. Time will tell.

All I have to say Bob, if you like the iridescent watch you bought, you will like the Abalone dial. Just try one.
Dan, I never got an iridescent watch....irresistible, yes, like me......but not iridescent.

I like it a lot. Trying to get "additions" that are unlike anything I have to date. Really thinking about the Aragon version on the SS bracelet (50mm).

Could have sworn you had one. Maybe you were just talking about one. How could I get Bob confused with someone else? Whoever I confused with Bob, I am sorry I offended you! :grin Seriously though Bob, I would at least get one in your hand. Go down to you local Big I store and take a good look at one. I think you will like it.

Dan, I never got an iridescent watch....irresistible, yes, like me......but not iridescent.

Could have sworn you had one. Maybe you were just talking about one. How could I get Bob confused with someone else? Whoever I confused with Bob, I am sorry I offended you! :grin Seriously though Bob, I would at least get one in your hand. Go down to you local Big I store and take a good look at one. I think you will like it.
You're not crazy...I did talk about it, but chickened out.

I think it is attractive, and unique. Being so visually intense, however, a watch using this material, needs large, and easy to read hands. As of now, I don't have a piece in my collection, because of this reason.

I love my RD with abalone dial. ( I would love it more with MOP, but anyway.) That watch is only 36mm square (about 41mm, I think.) If I could wear the huge one if I could? No. A little bit of it goes along way. ( I have this opinion of gemstone watches.)

Keep in mind I am female, for me it's like a jewelry piece which will coordinate with other colors. It's an interesting piece. The dial is a perfect slap. I don't wear wild colors, prints, etc. It's got a multifunction movement, but it's not over the top. It's OK. I have the 38mm SANI and the piece there is tiny. B
I don't think it lends itself to very large, complicated pieces.

I have no desire for any more of it. Invicta has to run through its pile of it and then we won't see anymore. Other watch companies have also been using it.

It's a rather interesting look, just not my personal style. But I think you should get one so I can see one live. :grin

You're not crazy...I did talk about it, but chickened out.

Well, it's not like you don't already have a great collection but I was all spun up over the possible purchase of a Baby Tuna.

I had such grand plans of starting with the lumibrite then using it as a wedge into your collecting habits with an end game that might have benefited my AD as well as the trade balance between the beltway and central Florida.

Hope springs eternal - If I can convince Mr. Hattori he needs an iridescent baby tuna with abalone we might well wear you down yet.

I'm seriously not stalking your purchase habits - just consider it the price of celebrity.

:)

I never thought I would like the Abalone fancy kind of Dial but after consideration I went with my Heart and thought just a 3 hand with no sub dials might work for me. Low and behold here comes an Invicta San3 with a 3 hand Abalone Dial with rich looking Leather strap that won me over. It puts to shame all my MOPs.

Well, it's not like you don't already have a great collection but I was all spun up over the possible purchase of a Baby Tuna.

I had such grand plans of starting with the lumibrite then using it as a wedge into your collecting habits with an end game that might have benefited my AD as well as the trade balance between the beltway and central Florida.

Hope springs eternal - If I can convince Mr. Hattori he needs an iridescent baby tuna with abalone we might well wear you down yet.

I'm seriously not stalking your purchase habits - just consider it the price of celebrity.

:)

A fine memory you have. I considered a 50mm Seiko 50th anniversary baby tuna, and woosed out on that, too. And don't forget my near buy of that Precisionist last week.

I can readily appreciate abalone's beauty but as of right now, it's just a bit too loud for my taste. Who knows, maybe I'll take a chance on one sometime...But for right now, I prefer a more subdued tone in my watch and the subtleties of MOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom