More Bad News For The Swiss Brand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Companies have the right to protect their brand, copyright or any other intellectual property, for instance Wing took Sony to court over his company trademark name Android.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/203...o-sues-google-for-trademark-infringement.html

https://www.law360.com/articles/565792/sony-can-t-slip-android-watchmaker-s-trademark-suit

Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property"Swissness" – clear rules for the "Swiss Made" brand
The new "Swissness" legislation strengthens the "Swiss Made" designation and the Swiss cross. It provides clear rules for use of the Swiss indication of source when used for marketing purposes, which in turn contributes to preventing any wrongful use of the "Swiss Made" brand. This ensures the long-term value of the label.

https://www.ige.ch/en/law-and-polic...ce/swiss-indications-of-source/swissness.html

Any competent watchmaker should be able to repair ETA mechanical movements if they are no longer under warranty. ETA isn't the only choice in order to have SWISS MADE on the dial. A company can easily use a Selitta Swiss made movement and abide by the regulations which came into force on 1 January 2017.

http://www.sellita.ch/index.php/en/societe/history

Founded in 1950

Sellita is an independent swiss company specialized in assembling “Swiss Made” mechanical automatic watch movements.

Being aware of the technology changes in a competitive market, Sellita decided in 2003 to develop and produce their own mechanical movements.

Strict standards of productivity

Sellita is a successful leader in the watch industry with a considerable volume of production. Our company combines the watchmakers’ craftsmanship with rigid quality standards. This has been the key idea of our work and it is the reason for our dynamic development.

Over the years, this philosophy has enabled Sellita to provide mechanical movements to the mid-range as well as top-of-the-end markets and watch brands.

Our newly developed products and activities provide us a higher flexibility.

OKO davey cage match with GOLIATH...so how did KING WING's pea shooter do ? did WING's mouthpiece use the 1 inch punch ? ( BRUCE LEE used the 1 inch punch which means release of internal energy NEI JIA through FA JING... an inscrutable art of chi best learned from a master who wasn't wiped out by the cultural revolution ) i.e. PUBLISHED VERDICT ? huzzah WING MAN !

hey thx 4 the meat on the bones RW...gonna digest it all...I have posted my thoughts on these subjects ad nauseum...for once I got nuthin'...

hey...shoot me I like to watch tyme pass and measure it 2...

Okay, I missed that reference. I still don't see ETA as the only Swiss Movement company. Like Mike posted, there is Sellita as well. So while this isn't a Monopoly, I guess you could argue it is an Oligopoly, but that doesn't fit either, because there are other movements out there from other companies. I also don't agree that you need a Swiss movement to make it. Look at MVMT watches or Daniel Wellington for that matter. 10 years ago no one had ever heard of DW, but here we are in 2018 and they are doing massive sales annually. I think to much is put into the Swiss Made moniker. There are plenty of watches made out side of Switzerland that can compete with the Swiss, and in some cases beat the Swiss.

As far as repair, there are plenty of repair shops across the country that will work on a Swiss movement.

Just my 2 cents.

I was referring to ETA sorry not swiss Co.'s in general. You either make your own, source from ETA or source from cheap Asian ones. If you want your watch to be "swiss" you must source 60% of it's parts from Switzerland thus there basically is a monopoly because if you want that branding (which if you don't you won't really make it) you must buy ETA.

Oh also I'm pretty sure if you take your ETA movement to get serviced it must be serviced by them, costing a lot to those who don't know how to fix them.

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

I stand corrected, I always had the presumption that Sellita was a Chinese Co. That sourced Swiss parts. I just thought their price was reflective of the best movement in Asia. Jumping gee wilickers was I off.

BUT still sourcing parts and repairs on ETAs is right ridiculous unless you know what you're doing. Take it to a watch shop, I don't know if it's that way still plus everything ETA does is 100% backed by the swedish govt so their monopolistic practices are legal.

Look here: http://www.ofrei.com/page1505.html

And here: http://www.ofrei.com/page1567.html

That will explain better than I can. I agree more things are different with the availability of other movements from other places. But a Co. That conducts business like that is not a Co. I will go business with. Simply my opinion on the matter of course it's not gospel and I may very well be wrong, but from what I understand that's what I see.

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

I personally don't think those docs hold any water. I agree that you need their parts and what not for the repairs, but I still don't see a Monopoly here. If these docs were from the government, I would agree, but these are just someone's opinions. It says right at the bottom.

My comparison to what is being said here is this, and before I go into it, no one is calling this a Monopoly.

If your iPhone breaks, you get it fixed, typically by Apple, because they are the ones with the parts. Controlling your supply of parts and who has them isn't a Monopoly, it is good business. Keeps the margins up and competition down.

This isn't to knock Invicta, but I'm using them as a comparison to ETA and sourcing SWISS parts. At one time you could order pins, screws or other parts from Invicta, but now you can only get straps and bracelets direct. If you need any other parts you have to go through their service department and send the watch in for parts and repair. Many of the parts are proprietary so you need to get creative if you want to avoid doing this.

giphy.gif
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom