A Christmas Dope Story (and question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee052496

Tyme Machine
Founding Member
Hello all. First a Merry Christmas to everyone. Secondly I have a question--and I don't expect any replies today for obvious reasons--but here goes.
I recently got my first Aragon. It is a 50mm Ultra Open Heart piece. This morning I decided to try and resize it so I could wear it today. Here's where the "dope" part comes in. Not the slang meaning or the pharmaceutical meaning but the idiot meaning. UGH! After I took out one of the pins, I realized that it did not have one of those corresponding arrows matched to it. I'm sure you know the arrows I am referring to. Long story short.....if my life depended on it I couldn't get it back in. In fact I actually bent it. Question: With a replacement pin do you think a jeweler would be able to fix it for me so I could actually wear the Aragon bracelet that came with the watch or do you think that even before DAY #1 I have to invest in a new bracelet/strap? I feel like such a dunce. To me the true beauty of a watch is in the face anyway. The band/strap while important is secondary.
Now that you have a sense of my Yuletime Idiocy.....what say you? And be NICE! It's Christmas :) :) :) :)
PS: Thankfully the watch itself went unharmed :) :)

I wouldn't sweat it. Any jeweller should be able to fix very easily for you.

So relax and enjoy your holiday.

Yup, what Jay said. ^^^ It should be easy peasy for any watch repair location. You should be up and enjoying it in mere minutes, Good Luck and Merry Xmas Ed.

The narrow part of the pin goes in the opposite direction of the arrow. Sounds like maybe you tried with the flared part of the pin, if so did you try a pair of pliers to try & pull it out? Or maybe try using a pin punch & see if you can tap it out?

Either way the jeweler can this this done easily & for a few bucks.

P.S Merry Christmas Ed!

Thanks all. I know in the grand scheme my concerns are nonsense. Have a beautiful day! I already have found a leather strap that I find quite unique that I may be going with anyway. Not sure. Tyme will tell :)

Should always size your bracelet closest to the clasp end unless it is ceramic or tungsten, not the first link, but the next is generally a good starting point. As you go further up towards the lug ends, many times those links are not meant to come out and is the reason you do not see any arrows, other times when not seeing any arrows on the inside of bracelet could indicate pin and collar links. Good luck on the repair.

15123060_10154153800258546_3270812860708808987_o.jpg

I wouldn't sweat it. Any jeweller should be able to fix very easily for you.

So relax and enjoy your holiday.
^^^^^+1^^^^^:hand:

Sounds like it won't be the end of the world, Ed.
Forget it for now, and enjoy the day.

Just a follow up question if I may. If I were able to get some replacement pins myself (eBay perhaps? The bracelet is 26mm I believe), do you think this is something I could possibly fix on my own? If so, on what edge should I tap the pin in to fix it? Meaning the edge that has the points to the arrows or the other edge? Hope that made sense. Or should I just have a jeweler do it?

"Just bring it into the shop and I'll take care of it for you Ed"

images

"Just bring it into the shop and I'll take care of it for you Ed"

images

Question asked and answered :) Thanks. I found a new pair of "shoes" for it anyway but just want to have the bracelet in tact should I decide to go back to it. Thanks!

Just a follow up question if I may. If I were able to get some replacement pins myself (eBay perhaps? The bracelet is 26mm I believe), do you think this is something I could possibly fix on my own? If so, on what edge should I tap the pin in to fix it? Meaning the edge that has the points to the arrows or the other edge? Hope that made sense. Or should I just have a jeweler do it?
http://blog.esslinger.com/how-to-remove-cotter-pin-watch-band-links/
R-Cotter_Pin-1.jpg

NOTE:When there are arrows on the links, links without arrows cannot be removed. Also, if there are no arrows on the band, you will need to push the pins out from the side without the seam in the pin, like this.

R-Cotter_Pin-5.jpg

Take the extra links you have and grab one to add to the first side of the band. Line up one end of the free link with opposite end of the loose end of the band. They should fit together like this. Insert one of the free cotter pins into the links to hold them together. The thin straight end of the pin should be inserted first, against the arrow direction. The wide part of the cotter pin should always be pounded in last.

Cotter_Pin-3.jpg

http://blog.esslinger.com/how-to-add-cotter-pin-watch-band-links/

It'll be done by a jeweler. Thanks everybody for helping me with my decision.

Hello all. First a Merry Christmas to everyone. Secondly I have a question--and I don't expect any replies today for obvious reasons--but here goes.
I recently got my first Aragon. It is a 50mm Ultra Open Heart piece. This morning I decided to try and resize it so I could wear it today. Here's where the "dope" part comes in. Not the slang meaning or the pharmaceutical meaning but the idiot meaning. UGH! After I took out one of the pins, I realized that it did not have one of those corresponding arrows matched to it. I'm sure you know the arrows I am referring to. Long story short.....if my life depended on it I couldn't get it back in. In fact I actually bent it. Question: With a replacement pin do you think a jeweler would be able to fix it for me so I could actually wear the Aragon bracelet that came with the watch or do you think that even before DAY #1 I have to invest in a new bracelet/strap? I feel like such a dunce. To me the true beauty of a watch is in the face anyway. The band/strap while important is secondary.
Now that you have a sense of my Yuletime Idiocy.....what say you? And be NICE! It's Christmas :) :) :) :)
PS: Thankfully the watch itself went unharmed :) :)

Hello,

I apologize for late response. I must have missed it in the past.

You can bend the pin straight and widen the opening, insert the pin back to the link/bracelet. It should work.

Thank you,

Wing

Thank you sir for your kind reply. It is appreciated a great deal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom