fogging crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronco bible

Tyme Watcher
crystal on my android parma 200 AD837 is getting fogged up anyone know how to solve this?

You have to take the movement out to clean the crystal, good luck. That model shows the Hattori PC32 movement, although the video is not the same movement it will give you an idea of the location for the stem release.

http://watchintyme.com/showthread.php?491-DIY-Let-me-make-this-crystal-clear-by-Rog

PC32-photo1__64681.1477101626.500.750.gif

http://www.timemodule.com/upload/PDF/PC32_SS.pdf

PC32A.jpg~original

welcome to WIT... usually they say remove crystal swab with Q-TIP /rubbing alcohol....

bunch of theories like outgassing from plastic movement holder

Another thought before removing everything is to pull/open the crown out & put the watch in a sandwich bag & use either rice or a silca bag then put on a electronic box like a cable box for just bit warmer than the room temp & see if that works.

If this works & down the road you get the same condensation you might have to replace the gaskets/O-rings as somewhere the watch is getting moisture in there.

As long as your fogginess isn't from condensation, it should be an easy fix.
You can usually find out by searching online where the release button is for the stem for your particular movement. I usually clean mine's with eyeglass cleaning spray and tissue. I use a loupe to check for lint and streaks. I'll use tape for any remaining specks or residue.
I've found that the fogging most likely will recur but it'll happen slower over longer periods of time.
Not sure what causes it; my guess is it's probably gases released from something curing like plastic spacers, rubber seals, glue, etc, sorta like the "new car smell" process. JMHO.
I've done this to at least 4 or 5 watches - all Invictas.
The only issue I had was with my last cleaning on an Invicta vintage; when I reinstall the stem, the date wheel won't advance. Everything else works.

Let us know what you came up with. I would be very interested in knowing how to fix this. Thanx.

My sister had a Lupah with a very foggy crystal that drove me crazy. Last time she was here I got her to let me open it up. I thought she was going to pass out when I removed the stem and movement, but when I gave it back to her all back together she had to admit that it looked a lot better. I would never have attempted the cleaning without the knowledge I have gained from reading all the posts from you WIT's.

Most of my crystal fogging issues are from Invicta and Android. Cleaning is as simple as using eye glass cleaner, lint free cloth, tape and/or can of air. It does come back which is frustrating but the process is simple to fix. I'm most nervous about re-assembly because of the possibility for a dead movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom