No announcement yet.

Trash or Treasure? Invicta Pro Diver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On average they do a pretty good job of not going the last step too far. In the inevitable forum debates following the Ricochet it was noted that Hamilton division stood by while dozens of shield-shaped watches went to market. True enough but if my memory of the court documents is correct the Ricochet would have lived a long life but for Tim once mentioning the MIB movies. That was a no-no. No other homage maker stepped on the land mine of actually saying "Elvis" or "MIB" out loud.

Ditto the SWI episode. They had a couple cease and desists from AP but it's possible nothing would have happened until someone on their streaming show uttered the forbidden words: "Royal Oak" - then it was Katie bar the door.

IWG and the TV folks have not to my knowledge ever gone that last step of actually saying something too specific. Similarly Wing got good mileage out of his dual balance wheel product but the word "Breguet" never was uttered.

Anything like "MIB" or "Royal Oak" has a radar signature akin to a tinfoil covered Hindenburg to the IP holder.

Such mistakes tend not to make it into marketing materials but on live TV there are rare but memorable cases of a host accidentally rolling a live grenade across the sound stage.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard View Post
      On average they do a pretty good job of not going the last step too far. In the inevitable forum debates following the Ricochet it was noted that Hamilton division stood by while dozens of shield-shaped watches went to market. True enough but if my memory of the court documents is correct the Ricochet would have lived a long life but for Tim once mentioning the MIB movies. That was a no-no. No other homage maker stepped on the land mine of actually saying "Elvis" or "MIB" out loud.

Ditto the SWI episode. They had a couple cease and desists from AP but it's possible nothing would have happened until someone on their streaming show uttered the forbidden words: "Royal Oak" - then it was Katie bar the door.

IWG and the TV folks have not to my knowledge ever gone that last step of actually saying something too specific. Similarly Wing got good mileage out of his dual balance wheel product but the word "Breguet" never was uttered.

Anything like "MIB" or "Royal Oak" has a radar signature akin to a tinfoil covered Hindenburg to the IP holder.

Such mistakes tend not to make it into marketing materials but on live TV there are rare but memorable cases of a host accidentally rolling a live grenade across the sound stage.
      I remember the launch of this watch and Tim more then once mentioned a certain movie which was about to come out(MIB III) which Hamilton had a ad structure around the watch and movie. In this case he did it the whole first day of the launch as the movie was out that weekend. For once I felt sorry for Larry. That's where the hammer ended up nailing that watches coffin. Yet there was a time when Larry was promoting his Hublot knock-off Apocalypse and with Skelton next to him, he kept saying what a "big Bang" the watch was. Did it a number of times with Skelton actually trying to stop him but Larry was not backing off. Live tv and salespeople can be a bad mix.

Comment

ShopNBC 2010_03_21 Larry Magen with Jim Skelton 12AM TTV Apocalypse Trifecta

"Flesh could not keep its glamour, nor eyes their sheen. They would go to nothing soon. But monsters are forever"

ÔÇťAmerica will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
        If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.
        As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide".
        Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by roadwarrior View Post
          ShopNBC 2010_03_21 Larry Magen with Jim Skelton 12AM TTV Apocalypse Trifecta

You are the man RW. At about 2:12 is the first time it happened. Believe he did it the following day on Sunday later in the day as well. Don't know how you do it, but you are a wizard of the search and find.

Comment

Working...
          X