We need a Beating Dead Horse Forum Cause

Gregg...don't think you'll get much love for this one...:wink:

giphy.gif

You know, I think before we make a decision on this dead horse thing, we should make several more threads and exchange hundreds more posts and discuss this . . . :smiles:

PS You better be ready to buy me dinner if you want me to keep my crown out!!!

Just to predictable, Joel!

There was a time when I used to think the same thing as well. I came to realize this hobby is always adding newbies. We all were there at one time. Knowledge is power and you can never have enough. When I was a rookie collector I wished I had all of the beating a dead horse stuff. I would have absorbed it like one of the seven deadly sins, gluttony, and digested the good from the bad. It would have also helped me save a bunch of cash in the process to use on other watches. I have a feeling my collection would be totally different from where it winded up with the many wrong turns I took in my learning process.

with the horo learning curve redundancy of fundamentals is good because even though you my know stuff repeating what you may have not seen in a while re0inforces whatt you know

I like this idea cause it could be Beat the Dead Chicken or anything your heart desires. Heck, Beat the Dead
Watch, haha. Just something fun to do and one more opportunity to Beat that Dead Horse! Tanks for your comments.

There was a time when I used to think the same thing as well. I came to realize this hobby is always adding newbies. We all were there at one time. Knowledge is power and you can never have enough. When I was a rookie collector I wished I had all of the beating a dead horse stuff. I would have absorbed it like one of the seven deadly sins, gluttony, and digested the good from the bad. It would have also helped me save a bunch of cash in the process to use on other watches. I have a feeling my collection would be totally different from where it winded up with the many wrong turns I took in my learning process.
Part of the challenge is we all have our own learning curse. I have been lucky learning from you WIT's.
I agree, Mike!

this 100%, one of the easiest ways to turn off new collectors and to make us all seem like a bunch of watch snobs is to make the new collectors feel like they're wasting our time in asking beginner question. I'd rather someone be eager to participate and ask a redundant question than presume they shouldn't participate because of their relative newness to the hobby.

I've been on watch forums since about 2006 and have reached a point where I have nothing really left that's fresh or interesting to offer. We always need new blood in a forum or things become stale. I've learned so much over the many years from all the great people and had tons of fun in the mean time. That said since I've cut back on purchasing my level of interest in things becomes more and more limited to the point where it all seems like maybe not so much a dead horse but a horse I've ridden so often that every move made seems like deja vu all over again and just can't shake the feeling of been there done that, redundancy.(an example of a completely redundant sentence used to make a obvious point) Which is a huge reason I've personally not been participating much lately as who needs jaded or stale opinions when people are just here to have a good time or to learn. This place deserves better than that and there are tons here who provide that without a weary point of view. I agree everyone is new to a place and should feel free to ask anything they want to learn about, free from someone like myself saying something snarky out of redundancy(to me). The forum deserves the best people have to offer. To help grow the hobby. Right now for me I don't feel I can be all that on a steady basis. Unless of course we could add a new section titled jaded grumpy old members where only us old burnouts can sit and have at it.

One man's dead horse is another man's learning experience. If we see a thread posted that is old hat to us, we don't have to read it. I was always taught that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. Let the good times roll. Let folks ask & learn. I don't think it hurts anyone. JMHO :cheers:

it's true...we were all newbies...newbies are the life blood of forums... fundamentals need to be repeated periodically... honestly it was me that started the dead horse meat thread...FALL BACK ALL A T ONCE OR ONE AT A TIME.. and i had a blast reading the wits responses... and my own response is different in time now then when i had larger collections...

and I very much enjoyed reading the fellas musings on DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME and whether it should be kept or trashed

I'm just not comfortable with this suggestion. I wouldn't want to offend any vegans. Can't we call it beating a dead ear of corn? Or a carrot perhaps?
No.... I got it...
squashing a squash...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom