Interview With Third-Generation Marathon Watches Leader Mitchell Wein

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Based outside Toronto, Canada

DEC 15, 2019 — BY ARIEL ADAMS

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/interview-with-third-generation-marathon-watches-leader-mitchell-wein/

Based outside Toronto, Canada, with a dedicated watch assembly facility in La Chaux de Fonds, Marathon Watch Company is a brand timepiece collectors must know about. Not only is Marathon the last real direct supplier of watches to military forces, but it also makes some of the finest tool watches around. Marathon watches have been known among dedicated aficionados for some time, but to a large degree, collectors still don’t know about the brand. Part of this is due to the fact that Marathon has only been selling its products to the general public for about a decade — despite producing wristwatches for many decades.

Marathon-Watch-Co-Mitchell-Wein-Interview-1.jpg

Marathon is a family company, primarily run today by Mitchell Wein. His parents (who have some of the most interesting stories about 20th-century wristwatch history) are still technically an important part of the company, but Mitchell and his team handle the day-to-day operations of Marathon. Mainstream consumers probably know Marathon via its successful electronic clock business, but at its heart, Marathon is a wristwatch company. It produces a range of quartz and mechanical timepieces for a variety of military, professional, and tactical uses.

The focus on functionality, utility, and value is why I believe Marathon timepieces strike such a chord for me, as a collector and why I think anyone who appreciates a good tool watch will find at least a few irresistible things about the brand, ranging from fair pricing to solid styling. I recently visited the Canadian headquarters of Marathon and sat down with Mitchell Wein to help tell the Marathon story to the aBlogtoWatch audience. Here is what he had to say.

Marathon-Watch-Co-Mitchell-Wein-Interview-25.jpg

top mil-spec contractor ...i know the story...got good CS shipping my tool to TORONTO...i should hunt another...after seeing these pics... maybe hunt vintage or NOS...mil-spec contractor to US & CANADIAN militaries

Back
Top Bottom