Grail Piece Finally Achieved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

takethe5th

Tyme Machine
Founding Member
I have been wanting an Omega Speedmaster "Moonwatch" for many years and always put other pieces before it either because they were more easily reachable or I've been distracted by other shiny objects. Also, there is a heavy debate among tymepiece hobbyists between the 3570.50 (1981 movement) and the 3573.50 (1983 movement). Even Watchjac and I exchanged our reasons for wanting our respective versions. Neither Moonwatch is identical to those worn by Apollo astronauts. However, it would be fair to say that the 3570.50 is more faithful to its history than the 3573.50. The 3570.50 has a solid caseback housing the mechanical chrono movement without polish, Côte de Geneve or other fancy accents because it isn't viewable, absent removing the caseback. It also has a hesalite (plastic) crystal as did the original versions. However, the 3573.50 has what has come to be colloquially known as the "sapphire sandwich". This version has a sapphire domed crystal, sapphire exhibition caseback, as well as accented and polished 1983 mechanical chrono movement. The sapphire crystal has a "milky" white ring at its base due to the fact that it is raised from its base and is sapphire. This is often a reported turnoff for collectors, but not for me. The hesalite crystal, admittedly, has a "warmer" look. The sapphire is also considerably more expensive than the hesalite version. Also, the 3573.50 states that the Moonwatch was the "first and only" watch on the moon. It is well-known that some astronauts took their own watches to the moon and, I believe the Bulova watch was there too. So, another turnoff for collectors is the inaccurate term "only" on the caseback. Maybe it will be worth more because of it, like a minting imperfection for a coin, who knows? Despite its lack of as much fidelity to the original as the 3570.50, I chose the 3573.50 mostly because I am really into the movements and I could not accept not viewing the only mechanical manual chrono in my collection. Also, no one would reasonably argue that the watch isn't a "Moonwatch". I hope you enjoy the photos below.

image_zpsbhphacnw.jpeg

image_zpsa0rg3umo.jpeg

image_zpsqk9e11ob.jpeg

image_zpsxikmcr8q.jpeg

image_zpsrchbkjbd.jpeg

image_zpsbvfh1g0b.jpeg

image_zpsfrrqwho1.jpeg

image_zpsevgdwouo.jpeg

Last edited:
That is beautiful! Enjoy that man! That movement is just to die for. I now know why they uncovered it in this model. Congrats man!

WOW ! Congrats on your grail... very Encouraging for me to focus on my quest too.

WoW! Congratulations on your grail piece Stan! Beautiful presentation!

A grail of many men now rests on your wrist. I could say I'm not jealous but I'd be lying. Congrats my brother.

That is a real impressive grail. Major congrats. Enjoy your new acquisition.

Regards,
Stan

That is a stunning timepiece! Big congrats on your grail masterpiece!!

Beautiful grail piece added to a really fine collection, big congrats Richard !!!

Grail Piece Finally Achieved!

This is one piece I'm definitely getting before I'm gone. I'm very happy for you achieving this grail:) just one of the best looking watches made! Nows the time to enjoy this. Congrats Richard!

Huge congrats on obtaining this grail timepiece !!!
It's absolutely stunning.
Wishing you many years of enjoyment with it.
Wear it in the best of health my friend.

That really is a trophy piece for sure! A big congratulations on adding it to the collection, Richard! A magnificent presentation in it's packaging. A defining point in your collecting.:applaud: ENJOY, my friend!:outstand:

Not a clue what a moon watch is,way above my pay grade and feeble mind,but it looks nice,which in my eyE, is all that counts. EyE'm always glad to hear when someone can earnestly obtain a piece they have been on the hunt for,congratulations .

Wow, all I can say is that I like it. Given its history, I can say that I like it even more. Definitely an amazing watch. The movement is great, I would not like that covered up either. Congratulations and wear in good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom