A SPEEDMASTER IN GOLD FOR APOLLO 11

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
The new Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Limited Edition pays tribute to history.

50 years ago, mankind took its very first steps onto the surface of the moon. The OMEGA Speedmaster was there, strapped to the wrists of the astronauts, and this year, we’re paying tribute to the mission’s lasting legacy, with the new Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Limited Edition model of 1,014 pieces.

img-ambiance-story-spmoonapollo11-50anni-large.jpg

THE INSPIRATION

Four months after Apollo 11 reached the moon in 1969, OMEGA held a special “Astronaut Appreciation Dinner” in Houston, Texas, where the gold Speedmaster BA145.022 was presented to NASA’s astronauts. Only 1,014 of these models were produced between 1969 and 1973, and they remain hugely sought-after by collectors.

imgsoldier-modele1969.png

imgsoldier-31060425099001.png

THE NEW MODEL

Following the design of the famous BA145.022, OMEGA has produced today’s new Limited Edition model in a unique new alloy known as 18K Moonshine™ gold. There is also a bezel in burgundy ceramic and a vertically-brushed gold dial with hour markers in facetted onyx. On the inside, the watch is driven by the manual-winding OMEGA Master Chronometer Calibre 3861 - complete with burgundy markings and several 18K Moonshine™ gold parts.

img-gallerie1-story-spmoonapollo11-50anni-large.jpg

img-gallerie2-story-spmoonapollo11-50anni-large.jpg

img-gallerie3-story-spmoonapollo11-50anni-large.jpg

“In a paler hue than traditional 18K yellow gold, Moonshine™ gold offers high resistance to the fading of colour and lustre over time.”

img-pushproductpage-story-spmoonapollo11-50anni-small_5.jpg

DESCRIPTION

Marking the golden anniversary of the OMEGA watch that was gifted to astronauts in 1969 to celebrate the first moon landing, OMEGA has produced this Speedmaster limited to 1,014 pieces, driven by the manual-winding OMEGA Master Chronometer Calibre 3861.

18K Moonshine™ gold has been used to create this commemorative timepiece. The vertically brushed step dial, also in 18K Moonshine™ gold, includes facetted onyx hour markers. Inspired by the piece of 1969, a few touches of burgundy have been added, including the ceramic bezel ring, the markings on the caseback and the movement.

The inner decorative caseback ring, crafted from 18K Moonshine™ gold and blackened, features a partial world map of the American continent and a domed lunar meteorite inlay, representing the true proportions of the Earth and the Moon.

FEATURES

• Anti‑magnetic
  • Chronograph
  • Limited edition (1,014)
  • Small seconds
  • Tachymeter
  • Transparent case back
TECHNICAL DATA

• Between lugs: 20 mm
  • Bracelet: Moonshine™ gold
  • Case: Moonshine™ gold
  • Case diameter: 42 mm
  • Dial color: Yellow
  • Crystal: Flat scratch‑resistant sapphire crystal with anti‑reflective treatment on both sides
  • Water resistance: 5 bar (50 metres / 167 feet)

Remember this one when Father's day rolls around, guys. My address is available on request. :wink: :D

Gold is not my thing, either. But in this case, I would make an exception. :hmm:

I hear you. It would be a real struggle, but I think I could make an exception as well and clear a spot in the watch box.......

I believe Tim Mosso mentioned a Omega Apollo LE, New for Basel :think: Hmmm
Thanks Mike

Speedmaster-Gold-4197.jpg

https://www.fratellowatches.com/gold-omega-speedmaster-apollo-11-50th-anniversary/

SPEEDY TUESDAY OMEGA
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Gold – Breaking News
A New Master Chronometer Co-Axial Manual Wind Movement Debuts
BY MICHAEL STOCKTON 7 MIN READ

The BA145.022 – Highly Desirable

Ironically, the BA145.022 was a watch that showed up frequently on sale boards and eBay until about 5-6 years ago. After that point, vintage steel Speedmasters finally gained a level of appreciation that extended on to this early gold model. Now, figure on $60K as a starting price for this commemorative gold piece. And so, it makes sense that we once again get to celebrate the moon landing with a Gold Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary model.

Omega-Speedmaster-Apollo-11-Anniversary-Limited-Edition-3.jpg

1,014 Pieces – Like the Original

Rounding things out, the Gold Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary will be made in an edition of 1,014 pieces just like the original (above) and will be packaged in a cratered box. This time, though, the box will feature ceramic outer panels made of ceramic with a 3D-printed lunar surface. The top of each will be in the form of the Sea of Tranquility, where the astronauts first landed. Now comes the tough moment when we talk about pricing. For sure, you weren’t expecting this watch to come inexpensively, and on that front, you’d be right! At *32,000 CHF, this watch clearly isn’t for everyone, but it’s also not a surprising figure for what promises to be a heavy slug of 18K. Compared to other gold watches – most of which aren’t limited or commemorating an event – I actually think it’s priced fairly. We’ll update you on availability as soon as we find out more.

* 32,000 Swiss Franc equals 31,776.64 United States Dollar
SpeedmasterBA145022-69-FullSet-6.jpg

Speedmaster-Gold-4191.jpg

Revolution Watch
Published on Mar 12, 2019

Omega commemorates 50 years of the Moon landing by releasing a very special Speedmaster that's reminiscent of the 1969 Tribute to Apollo XI timepiece. This new edition is presented in their own 18k Moonshine gold, with a new Master Chronometer in-house Caliber 3861. Revolution founder Wei Koh speaks exclusively with Omega CEO Raynald Aeschlimann on this important timepiece.

Speedmaster-Gold-4197.jpg

https://www.fratellowatches.com/gold-omega-speedmaster-apollo-11-50th-anniversary/

SPEEDY TUESDAY OMEGA
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Gold – Breaking News
A New Master Chronometer Co-Axial Manual Wind Movement Debuts
BY MICHAEL STOCKTON 7 MIN READ

The BA145.022 – Highly Desirable

Ironically, the BA145.022 was a watch that showed up frequently on sale boards and eBay until about 5-6 years ago. After that point, vintage steel Speedmasters finally gained a level of appreciation that extended on to this early gold model. Now, figure on $60K as a starting price for this commemorative gold piece. And so, it makes sense that we once again get to celebrate the moon landing with a Gold Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary model.

Omega-Speedmaster-Apollo-11-Anniversary-Limited-Edition-3.jpg

1,014 Pieces – Like the Original

Rounding things out, the Gold Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary will be made in an edition of 1,014 pieces just like the original (above) and will be packaged in a cratered box. This time, though, the box will feature ceramic outer panels made of ceramic with a 3D-printed lunar surface. The top of each will be in the form of the Sea of Tranquility, where the astronauts first landed. Now comes the tough moment when we talk about pricing. For sure, you weren’t expecting this watch to come inexpensively, and on that front, you’d be right! At *32,000 CHF, this watch clearly isn’t for everyone, but it’s also not a surprising figure for what promises to be a heavy slug of 18K. Compared to other gold watches – most of which aren’t limited or commemorating an event – I actually think it’s priced fairly. We’ll update you on availability as soon as we find out more.

* 32,000 Swiss Franc equals 31,776.64 United States Dollar
SpeedmasterBA145022-69-FullSet-6.jpg

Speedmaster-Gold-4191.jpg

Revolution Watch
Published on Mar 12, 2019

Omega commemorates 50 years of the Moon landing by releasing a very special Speedmaster that's reminiscent of the 1969 Tribute to Apollo XI timepiece. This new edition is presented in their own 18k Moonshine gold, with a new Master Chronometer in-house Caliber 3861. Revolution founder Wei Koh speaks exclusively with Omega CEO Raynald Aeschlimann on this important timepiece.

What a relief cause only have to sell part of my home to fund this baby.

gold with a touch of burgundy is classy as hell.

I doubt these will ever see the show room floor for us to have a chance to purchase. 1014 isn't a small run but the demand is there. I was discussing this with the assistant manager at the Omega boutique where I've made my purchases and they have many customers who have left deposits to get on the list for the 50th anniversary speedie before knowing a single detail. I supposed a few may back out when seeing it is gold or in seeing the price but the collector list around the world is long. Take a dozen or more reservations at every boutique and I'd bet that even some of those people will get turned away unless there are additions to the ltd editions, ie different models, finishes, colors, etc.

Back
Top Bottom