Omega Speedmaster 38.6mm 1957 Unboxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Omega Speedmaster 38.6mm 1957 Unboxing & The Must Have Book For Newcomers & Enthusiasts On Watches

The Urban Gentry
Published on Apr 13, 2018
In today’s quick video I take a look at the perfect book for newcomers just getting into watches, and unbox the Omega Speedmaster 57' "broad arrow" 38.6mm luxury chronograph.

I discuss why Louis Nardin's "The Magic Of Watches" is not only an outstanding introduction to the world of fine watchmaking, but also why it is an essential reference guide for more experienced watch enthusiasts too.

I then give my initial impressions on one of my favourite releases of 2017. This limited edition watch was famously reissued as part of a trilogy to mark the 60th anniversary of the original trio back in 1957.

To find out more about the Speedmaster Ref. 311.10.39.30.01.001

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...dmaster-57-chronograph-38-6-mm-31110393001001

soldier-31110393001001.png

To find out more about the book

https://themagicofwatches.com/book

The book

What is a beautiful watch? How do you make a good choice? “The Magic of Watches” explains how and why these little objects are so precious, fascinating and exciting. “The Magic of Watches” loves paradoxes: why a one-million-dollar watch might be less precise and more fragile than one that costs 15 dollars. “The Magic of Watches” comes back to the origins of the measurement of time: how did we go from the water clock to the wristwatch? “The Magic of Watches” dares to speak about technique: how does a mechanical movement work? How does a quartz one work? “The Magic of Watches” delves into details: what is a “complication” and when do we speak about “chronometer”? “The Magic of Watches” likes art: how do we enamel a dial? “The Magic of Watches” is unique: it focuses in detail on the basics in order to understand and love watches better.

Table of contents

Welcome

Why a book, why this one
Why watches are magic
How to use this book
The first mission: To tell the time
The challenge of measuring time
The quartz revolution (1960s)
Fantastic plastic (1980s)
From an instrument to much more (1990s)
Smart, or connected, watches (2010s)
Buying

Ten reasons why you should get a watch
Choosing
Key elements
Secondhand
Selling your watch
Knowledge

Care

Settings
Maintenance and care
Service and after-sales
Repairs
Travel
Insurance
Icons

Anatomy

Display
Indications
Functions and complications
Movement (Caliber)
Case
Bracelets and straps
Materials

binder1-page-012.jpg
binder1-page-006-50.jpg
binder1-page-005.jpg
binder1-page-015.jpg
binder1-page-022.jpg
binder1-page-024.jpg

parallax-optimized-4.jpg

another killer vid by UG...greedy horological mits... 1935 mil-ops omega killer...1957 38.6 omega jake...

price ratio: 20 to 1 ( new/now to old/then )... that is what i had figured in my lizard brain...and imho that is why killer values in vintage...laying in peeps drawers unloved unworn 50-100 years...sold broken...given a bath...re-furbed...labor intensive and then pure profit...old grails way below new retail...incalculable kool...do they keep time ? who cares anachronistic reduncy...aint i u got a mobile ? ( jk-- mines pass a 6 & 24 hour time test..mostly they have all been one the clock...broken in transit or time test failures get returned or e-bay no question refund... sometimes vendors let me keep broken AND pay refund and I trade them in to the next vintage vendor...short story long ...the bay takes the risk out of inherently risky business of vintage watches... )

i also try to avoid complications ...even date wheels ...and try to buy work horse mechanical movements...i never move the hands back wards...only forwards... i change the hours in like 10 minute intervals...gentle...like caressing an egg shell... those crowns are elusive in fat fingered hairy man hands... searching for the man in the boat practice...

Always interesting stuff from this guy. And I think a lotta WiTs know that Omega is my #1 favorite watchmaker. Gonna have to take a peek at that book... :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom