MAKO 3 Miyota 9015 Released : As of 01/16/20 "Most of them have not gone out yet i'm afraid" ET

Here is the case back of the early version I have. I've read and heard the case back on the new models are more refined compared to the originals. My original feels fine to me and has nothing that seems to bother my wrist.

m3GHAi.jpg

Random Rob mentioned the sharp edges on the case-back too, I am a little concerned. I have the v1 and the case-back is not sharp, I don't know why they would change the case-back finishing. I had an Obris Morgan Explorer II, the case-back was so sharp, I just stopped wearing it and eventually sold it.

I can feel the edges on the shark itself. I suppose you could say sharp but I've worn it throughout a day and night and you do not feel it on the wrist. Would no way actually cut you. Also have two Swordfishes and the fish are different on each, one being smooth and one having the same "sharper" edge as the Mako. Maybe it can be seen in these closeups. The stainless has the smoother edges, the bronze the more "sharp" like the Mako. None of them are a bother in the slightest. To me anyway. I can't see the need of complaints. Checking a few others lying out right now, I have some others that feel the same and some that are less edgy. If others are causing you concern Engo, I'd say don't be. You'll be happy.

Mike, for comparisons it's about the same as the star on the back of the 70's Seastar.

49394624411_d71c3b81ab_k.jpg

script>

I can feel the edges on the shark itself. I suppose you could say sharp but I've worn it throughout a day and night and you do not feel it on the wrist. Would no way actually cut you. Also have two Swordfishes and the fish are different on each, one being smooth and one having the same "sharper" edge as the Mako. Maybe it can be seen in these closeups. The stainless has the smoother edges, the bronze the more "sharp" like the Mako. None of them are a bother in the slightest. To me anyway. I can't see the need of complaints. Checking a few others lying out right now, I have some others that feel the same and some that are less edgy. If others are causing you concern Engo, I'd say don't be. You'll be happy.

Mike, for comparisons it's about the same as the star on the back of the 70's Seastar.

49394624411_d71c3b81ab_k.jpg

script>

Thanks for the comparison Paul. I agree and it's fine for me as well. The more defined details on some engraved case backs are going to be cut deeper and I know what you're talking about. I have plenty of detailed case backs that because of the raised details are not as smooths as etches ones that will wear off in time. I would rather have the deeply engraved ones that won't fade away in time.

44334270215_995b70be57_c.jpg

36562129794_0a326cf79f_c.jpg

R6GtcJ.jpg

The Viperfish has a lot of engraving on the back that is deeply cut. The difference is that instead of being raised it is cut into the case. I'm not sure what is harder to do, but the VF is one of the best looking case backs I have and it also has a see through back.

36316601091_ae231d3e8e_c.jpg

Thanks so much for the welcome, and the reassuring words all. I have seen reference to a laser engraving process, so perhaps the trade-off with that is more 'precise' edges. Anyway, in the context of the reviews I've seen, the rest of the watch is getting lots of praise, and this may be a "if I had to complain about something, it would be this" thing.

Super excited to be receiving this watch! I ordered the frost dial that RR reviewed in the other thread, and seeing that lume shot has me salivating.

:eyes:

Congrats on the frost. Hopefully you're not disappointed. Looking forward to what you think..

Elshan Tang

"The caseback for the Mako 3 was done in a different method to get the details more defined, but it is indeed a little sharper than the earlier pieces. Not a missed finishing step though"

Last edited:
I would have to agree with Elshan. In the direct comparison on the Swordfish's, the sharper laser like cut one does indeed look better.

Thanks Steve. I shot him an e-mail. I don't know WTH is going on. This is the first time I've never received a heads-up my order has shipped. I had no clue it was shipped.

She's beautiful. Mine will be here Monday. I was lucky that a green popped up in the early hours this morning. It will join my Teal. Enjoy that one Mike!

Thanks Stan. Congrats on the green. They are all nice, but that one was a standout as well.

I had to sign for mine Steve. The girl mentioned she was glad I was home or would have had to come back. They know not to leave anything for me, but if the delivery says no signature required they drop it and run. I had it out the other day with them and Epson. Epson sent me a printer to replace a bad one that was seven months old and still under warranty. The printer cost more than this Zelos watch and was no signature required, go figure. Twenty-five pounds in a big Epson printer box, just drop it and run, lucky I was home.

I thought I posted a case back photo, but I just noticed it wasn't there. I did take the plastic off after the photo was shot to feel for any rough edges.

hDL159.png

These photos below show the older version case back.

TXeDBk.png

frJYXd.png

Back
Top Bottom