A. LANGE & SOHNE will surprise you / Hands-on: A. Lange & Söhne ODYSSEUS added 10/24/19

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Since then the official embargo ends and we can go online with the entire video.

Oct 17, 2019

WatchAdvisor

I am so sorry, but I can't tell you more here and now. Since then the official embargo ends and we can go online with the entire video. I promise you you will like what you see! A day to remember in the history of A. Lange & Sohne!

AGF-l78-14qBJlXPgqvtH_5xtTlkyk6JZwKHWnic7w=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo
[h=1]Hands-on: A. Lange & Söhne ODYSSEUS - The ultimate luxury sports watch![/h] Oct 24, 2019

WatchAdvisor

WOW, what a ticking beauty the new ODYSSEUS is! I love its total independent design and the fact that A. Lange & Söhne developed the L155.1 DATOMATIC movement with a new & unique weekday indication.

I had the ODYSSEUS on my wrist, the watch fits perfectly and it looks really cool.

Well, now I am very curious to read your comments and to discuss the ODYSSEUS with you.

In brief this is what you need to know about the new A. Lange & Söhne sporty-elegant watch:

The new ODYSSEUS is a watch for people who admire fine watchmaking but live active lives.
The design of the stainless-steel case with a diameter of 40,5 millimeters and a height of 11,1 millimeters, featuring an integrated stainless-steel bracelet, embraces traditional A. Lange & Söhne brand elements and reinterprets them.

This applies particularly to the sculpted, slightly cantilevered middle band of the three-part case. Its surfaces are decorated with a satin contour finish and the edges are emphasized with a chamfer.

The combination of brushed surfaces and chamfered edges is echoed on the lugs and links of the massive stainless-steel bracelet. Specially sealed, tapered buttons for correcting the date and the day of week are arranged at 2 and 4 o’clock.

The new ODYSSEUS is the first A. Lange & Söhne watch with a water-resistant case and a screw-down crown. The watch is guaranteed waterproof up to 120 meters.

Movement: A. Lange & Söhne manufacture calibre L155.1 DATOMATIC, self-winding, crafted to the most exacting A. Lange & Söhne quality standards, decorated and assembled by hand; precision-adjusted in five positions; unidirectionally winding central rotor with platinum centrifugal mass; balance bridge engraved by hand

Movement parts: 312
Jewels: 31
Screwed gold chatons: 1
Escapement: traditional lever escapement

Oscillation system: Shock-resistant balance with four poising screws; balance spring manufactured in-house (!) with a frequency of 28,800 A/h (= 4 hertz), precision-beat-adjustment with cam and whiplash spring.

Power reserve: 50 hours when fully wound

Functions: Time indicated in hours, minutes, and subsidiary seconds dial with stop seconds; day-of-week and date displays.

Operating elements: Screw-down crown for winding the watch and setting the time; two buttons for correcting the day of week and date.

Case dimensions: Diameter: 40.5 millimeters; height: 11.1 millimeters
Movement dimensions: Diameter: 32.9 millimeters; height: 6.2 millimeters

Case: Stainless steel
Water resistance: 120 meters
Dial: Brass, dark-blue
Hands: White gold, hours and minutes luminous.
Glass & case-back: Sapphire crystal (Mohs hardness 9)
Bracelet: Stainless steel.
Buckle: Safety deployant buckle with precision adjustment mechanism for adjusting the length.
Price: 28.000 Euro including 19 % VAT.

Limitation: None!

I expect A. Lange & Söhne to manufacture 300 - 400 ODYSSEUS per year.

Today, A. Lange & Söhne has five watch families:

LANGE 1
SAXONIA
RICHARD LANGE
ZEITWERK

The ODYSSEUS is the new face that introduces a sixth watch family. I wish @alangesoehne the best of luck for its new ticking superstar!

Introducing A. Lange & Söhne Odysseus, the brand's first steel sports watch

Oct 24, 2019

AGF-l79sHrSs1DpEMdYUCRZtDxCXrW1dQO3I-9ebOg=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

Monochrome Watches

Meet the Saxon brand's most polarizing new watch since its inception in 1994, the brand's first steel sports watch, a watch to compete on the luxury sports watch market, the new A. Lange & Söhne Odysseus. In this video, Anthony de Haas, A. Lange & Söhne's director of product development, introduces the first Lange Sports watch, with its integrated steel bracelet, its robust and water-resistant steel case but also a true Haute-Horlogerie, Lange-standard automatic movement.

Hands-On With The A. Lange & Söhne Odysseus

The new sporty Lange in stainless steel

BY BERT BUIJSROGGE
OCTOBER 24, 2019

4 MIN READ

https://www.fratellowatches.com/a-lange-sohne-odysseus/
  • We usually don’t find an NDA document in our mailbox. I can’t remember having to sign a nondisclosure agreement before any event. So when you receive one from A. Lange & Söhne, you know something big is about to happen.
ALS-Odysseus-363.179.020.jpg
A. Lange & Söhne Odysseus

A Lange watch and steel is an odd combination. In the past, only very few pieces from A. Lange & Söhne in steel have left the manufacture. Apart from some truly unique pieces. Yet, their desire to add something sporty to the collection, alongside demand from clients, results in a new model line, in stainless steel. In all honesty, when I saw this watch for the first time, it took me a brief moment to get used to it. You instantly see the typical A. Lange & Söhne DNA due to the large day and date display, which are placed on the outside of the dial.
ALS-Odysseus-363.179.012.jpg

Another first for A. Lange & Söhne is the integrated steel bracelet. While talking to Anthony de Haas, I learn that each link of the bracelet has polished surfaces on all edges. Apart from the great aesthetics, this also prevents your hair from being pulled. Luckily my arms don’t suffer from excessive hair growth, so this wouldn’t be an issue for me anyway. In short, the bracelet looks very well made, and it has no screws at all. Looking at the links from the back, you notice small circles. When you press these with a special tool, you can pull the outer link away. So it’s possible to shorten or lengthen the bracelet without too much effort. The necessary tools to do so are supplied with the watch itself.

ALS-Odysseus-363.179.029.jpg

What makes a great feature in the clasp is the micro-adjustment. By operating the hidden pusher (the A. Lange & Söhne logo on the clasp), the bracelet can extend up to 7 mm in total. And it can be easily pushed back inwards to shorten the bracelet again in small increments. This gives you all the flexibility you need to wear the Odysseus comfortably on the wrist.

ALS-Odysseus-363.179.019.jpg

The rotor is made from Arcap, which is an alloy that has a very high tensile strength and corrosion consistency. With its extra flexibility, it makes an excellent choice for a sporty watch. An extra platinum mass has been added for better centrifugal forces, which helps smooth winding. The rotor is both signed with ‘Platin’ for the platinum weight, and “DATOMATIC” because of the automatic date function of the movement. Other than that, no matter how close you look at the movement, it’s finished to perfection, as you can expect from Lange.

img_07.jpg
Reassuringly familiar.

At A. Lange & Söhne, we find no rest until we have the best solution for each model. For the new ODYSSEUS, this meant that our watchmakers and engineers developed a tailor-made movement from the ground up. To guarantee high-rate accuracy regardless of external factors, the newly designed balance operates at a frequency of 28,800 semi-oscillations per hour (4 hertz). Fitting to their respective form and function, all parts undergo an elaborate finishing, as is our custom. This even applies to the parts hidden from view. Additionally, many traditional hallmarks of our watchmaking artistry can be found, such as plates and bridges made of German silver or the screwed gold chaton. And of course, you will never come across a watch of ours whose movement has not been assembled twice.

img_09_10_movement.jpg
Calibre L155.1 DATOMATIC

Number of parts: 312

Number of rubies: 31

Number of chatons: 1

Power reserve: 50 hours when fully wound

Oscillation system:

Frequency: 28,800 semi-oscillations per hour

Beat-adjustment system: Shock-resistant balance with four poising screws

Movement measures: Diameter: 32,9 mm; height: 6,2 mm

img_02.jpg
ODYSSEUS Stainless steel with dial in dark-blue

Reference: 363.179

The three-part stainless-steel case awards the ODYSSEUS its distinct design. Especially striking is the sculpted, slightly cantilevered middle band. Its surfaces are decorated with a satin contour finish and the edges are emphasised with a chamfer. The combination of brushed surfaces and chamfered edges is echoed on the lugs and links of the massive stainless-steel bracelet. The dark-blue dial features white-gold hands and appliques. The hour and minute hands as well as all hour markers are luminous.

img_04_fullwidth.jpg
Product Specs

Family ODYSSEUS Timepiece ODYSSEUS Reference 363.179 Calibre L155.1 Case steel Dial dark-blue Hands white gold Case Measurements Diameter: 40.5 mm; height: 11.1 mm

Back
Top Bottom