Hands-On: A Trio of New Seiko Alpinist Models Upgrades to a Fan Favorite and Globally Available (39.5mm in diameter, 46mm L2L and 13.2mm in thickness)

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Hot on the heels of their official release, we go hands-on with the three new Seiko Alpinist references.

P1110008.jpg

BY MICHAEL STOCKTON
JANUARY 14, 2020
5 MIN READ

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-a-trio-of-new-seiko-alpinist-models/

It was just last week that we published an article on discontinued Seiko watches that collectors love. One of the watches I discussed was the long-running SARB017 Alpinist. I mentioned that Seiko was planning to release a trio of new Seiko Alpinist watches and it just so happens that those pieces arrived at the local Seiko Frankfurt boutique this past Thursday. I took the opportunity to visit the shop and the fantastic team there was gracious enough to allow me to handle and photograph each of the three. Here’s your chance to see all three and get some feedback on whether the addition of two new colorways along with some higher end (and cost) attributes are worth your time.

P1110031.jpg
[h=3]The New Seiko Alpinist Models – Alpinists by any Other Name[/h] When I discussed the former SARB017, I mentioned that the new Seiko Alpinist pieces would join other watches such as the Seiko Sumo in going more upscale and by adding the Prospex “X” logo on the dial. What I didn’t mention is that these watches no longer contain the word “Alpinist” on the dial or case back any longer. You’ll read other articles on these timepieces referring to them as “Alpinist-inspired”, which feels like Seiko PR speak for “we don’t want to use the Alpinist name any longer.” Well, at the risk of sounding combative, I am going to refer to this trio as Alpinists because they absolutely are in my mind. Note that this is not the first time we’ve seen Seiko step away from a legendary name as the latest 300 Meter divers, such as the green SLA019, are no longer officially known as Marinemasters. But here again, even the Seiko boutiques refer to them by their former, and in my view rightful, names because fans refer to them this way. With my rant now done and dusted, let’s look at some watches!

P1110015.jpg

Inside, the new Alpinist gets an upgrade as the movement changes from 21,600 bph 6R15 to the 28,800 bph 6R35 and that now means 70 hours of power reserve. Glass wise, Seiko continues to move its Prospex line away from Hardlex and to sapphire. It also picks up a display case back. And in what will likely go down as somewhat controversial, the new pieces brings back a cyclops over the date window. Water resistance remains at a “go anywhere, do anything” 200 meters. But the biggest change we have is the introduction of two additional colors aside from the green edition that qualifies as a neo-classic. If you’re a real Alpinist fan, these three models echo the colors of the 4S15-powered pieces that marked the return of the line in 1995. The Spring Bar has a fantastic article documenting their history.

Very sharp indeed!:wink: Thanks for posting this up, Mike.:hat:

brilliant marketing strategy old wine new bottle much higher MSRP

Purchased the 2020 Seiko Alpinist - SPB119J1

AGF-l78vspYfYFXVzF28qdJLYtc7XYDL3_gCnoH_Tw=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

Jan 7, 2020

I just received the new 2020 Ivory alpinist and I share my first thoughts and impressions on this watch.

Back
Top Bottom