Status
Not open for further replies.

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/news/pressrelease/20180322-3/

Blue_Ceramic_GMT_SBGJ229__HERO.jpg

design@2x.png

The Hi-beat GMT 9S86 caliber joins the ceramic series for the first time.

Respect for the past. Materials of the future.
The twentieth anniversary of the 9S mechanical caliber is an occasion to look both back into Grand Seiko’s history and forward to new opportunities. This new Ceramic Hi-Beat limited edition speaks of both the past and the future and does so in the spirit of the 9S caliber that it celebrates.
The inner case and outer bracelet links are crafted from the very light high intensity titanium.
The outer case and the center links of the bracelet are made of the new Grand Seiko blue zirconia ceramic, a material that is seven times harder than stainless steel so that the watch is virtually impervious to scratches. Behind the sapphire case back, titanium and tungsten combine in the oscillating weight to resist distortion even when the watch is subjected to shock.
The titanium section of the weight is treated with an anodic oxidation* process that creates a new, rich and vivid blue that complements the Grand Seiko blue of the ceramic and the dial. In its use of these advanced materials, this remarkable watch echoes and celebrates the advanced watchmaking that made possible the first 9S caliber twenty years ago.

* Anodic oxidation treatment
This is a surface treatment in which metals are subjected to electrolysis so as to generate artificially an oxide film. Titanium oxide film produces color according to the light refraction index, enabling production of different colors by varying the thickness of the oxide film.

Its performance is as remarkable as its construction. The hi-beat movement has been specially adjusted to the Grand Seiko “Special” standard and offers a precision rate of +4 to -2 seconds per day, a level even higher than the Grand Seiko standard itself. The “SPECIAL” mark on the dial and the 18k rose gold Grand Seiko lion insert in the oscillating weight bear witness to this high precision achievement.
This watch is offered in a limited edition of 350 and will be available in July 2018 at the Grand Seiko and Seiko boutiques worldwide as well as at other selected Grand Seiko retailers.

20180322-3-img02.jpg
20180322-3-img03.png
case@2x-600x600.png
20180322-3-img04.png
movement@2x.png
movement01@2x.jpg

Grand Seiko Blue Ceramic Limited Edition: SBGJ229G
Caliber 9S86

Driving system: Automatic
Vibrations: 36,000 vibrations per hour (10 beats per second)
Accuracy: +4 to -2 seconds per day (when static)
Power reserve: 55 hours
GMT hand
Number of jewels: 37
Specifications

High-intensity titanium and ceramic case
High definition dual-curved sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
See-through screw case back, Screw-down crown
Water resistance: 10 bar
Magnetic resistance: 4,800 A/m
Diameter: 46.4mm, Thickness: 14.6mm
High-intensity titanium and ceramic bracelet
with three-fold clasp with push button release
Approximate recommended retail price in Europe: 15,000 Euro
Limited edition of 350

15,000 Euro equals
18,455.25 US Dollar

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/g...-beat-gmt-special-limited-edition-introducing

Quick Take
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the caliber 9S – the base of many Grand Seiko greats – Grand Seiko has released the Blue Ceramic Hi-Beat GMT "Special" Limited Edition (in addition to quite a few other LEs). The GMT is a staple of the Grand Seiko family, so it should come as no surprise that Grand Seiko has released a new version to commemorate the 9s. This special edition (limited to 350 pieces) features a 46.4mm case made of Seiko's High Intensity titanium, treated with an anodic oxidation process that turns it blue.

The process involves the metals being exposed to electrolysis to generate a film of titanium oxide. You can get a very wide range of colors using this process – the color you get depends on the thickness of the oxide coat. The center links are made of a new blue zirconia ceramic that is seven times harder than steel and is very scratch resistant (good news for those who are hard on their watches). But the most impressive part is the Hi-Beat movement, the caliber 9S86 (the same movement used in previous GMT models), which has been adjusted to meet the Grand Seiko "Special" standards with a precision rate of +4 to -2 seconds per day!

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/grand-...at-gmt-special-limited-edition-sbgj229-watch/

Grand-Seiko-Blue-Ceramic-Hi-Beat-GMT-Special-Limited-Edition-SBGJ229A-aBlogtoWatch-13.jpg

Let's begin with the biggest issue of them all: the price. At $14,800, this is about double what other Grand Seiko GMTs are running for – or at least had been running for, before GS started aiming for rather more ambitious price levels as part of their weird non-Seiko-Grand Seiko branding strategy, introduced last year. Near as makes no difference, 15 grand for any four hand watch is extremely steep in my book and so there'd better be many and strong justifications to make my – and other responsible watch collector's – wallet open wide enough to let this big sum slip out.

Grand-Seiko-Blue-Ceramic-Hi-Beat-GMT-Special-Limited-Edition-SBGJ229A-aBlogtoWatch-24.jpg

movement02@2x.png

Now if I only had $18,455.22 Beautiful watch. This one I could afford.
SUR225_FXA.jpg

Wow - that is cool - way out of reach price-wise, but cool.

Seiko never sits still. Always new and exotic stuff coming from them. I never get tired of looking at it.

Thanks for the info. :good: That's *WAY* out of my price range but it's a beautiful watch that I can admire from the sidelines. If anyone here gets it, please share your opinions.

I'm sure that the die-hard Seiko collectors will complain incessantly about the "huge" size and it's sporty (some would say "gaudy") look. That's why I love WiT - that's considered a small and plain looking watch over here. :) One thing that bugs me about the watch collecting world is that the snooty wine and cheese side of it thinks that all expensive watches must look the same - plain and boring.

Of course I type that as I'm wearing my Invicta Excursion with a high polished stainless steel bracelet on it. I'm wearing the poster child for what is 100% wrong with the watch industry today according to that snooty crowd...and I love it! :D

while this is not to my taste...that does not lessen my respect for innovation and quality...japanese indeed ...while they may not invent make an art of perfecting--

as i watch difficulties in the alps... i am amazed at the confidence and muscle flexing in the land of the rising sun...

- i wonder if the bottom line backs up the confidence exhibited ?

-both alps and island nation face same millennial pressures..has 1 found the magic lamp ?

Yum! I like the funky direction they are messing around with here.

I do like the watch--very much!

But for that same $15,000 I could get a Zenith El Primero, a bada$$ 48MM Seiko MarineMaster SBEX005 with 36,000 bph in titanium, and 2 Breitling Auto Chronos on bracelets, and still have $1,000 leftover for some nice straps and a few lower end Seiko Auto divers. That just sounds like more fun to me! Ha ha! :happy:

A stunner for sure so will take out a watch-equity-loan. I'm sure the banks have them ???

Thanks for the info. :good: That's *WAY* out of my price range but it's a beautiful watch that I can admire from the sidelines. If anyone here gets it, please share your opinions.

I'm sure that the die-hard Seiko collectors will complain incessantly about the "huge" size and it's sporty (some would say "gaudy") look. That's why I love WiT - that's considered a small and plain looking watch over here. :) One thing that bugs me about the watch collecting world is that the snooty wine and cheese side of it thinks that all expensive watches must look the same - plain and boring.

Of course I type that as I'm wearing my Invicta Excursion with a high polished stainless steel bracelet on it. I'm wearing the poster child for what is 100% wrong with the watch industry today according to that snooty crowd...and I love it! :D

You and me, both, buddy...

Great looking watch and Seiko OR Grand Seiko's are very special watches AND movements. The price, well, let me think about how many Hamilton's, Chris Wards and, and.... Let me see, I just got my wife a beautiful new wedding ring for our 40th in February, NOPE, she would still send me in for a Psych evaluation, just before...

Thanks!
Dan

I absolutely love the dial on that one.
The bezel is OK.
I hate the blue on the case and the bracelet.
Without even considering the price, this would be a no go for me
And the price puts it in a different universe.

What is there not to like ?? What I ask :happy:

In many other watch message boards, people would whine about the "large" case size. Other watch people think that anything over 40 mm is "too big." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom