Orient King Diver 70th Anniversary An Exciting Reissue Comes from Japan

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Reissue Comes from Japan

HEADER.jpg

We take a glimpse at the newly announced Orient King Diver 70th Anniversary models.

BY MICHAEL STOCKTON
FEBRUARY 06, 2020
3 MIN READ

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hot-...h-anniversary/

We’ve been doing our best to review a healthy mix of both new and vintage Orient models here on Fratello. As we’ve mentioned, we find the brand’s watches worthy of consideration if you’re in search of value and a lengthy spec sheet. We’ve also detailed the company’s somewhat confusing marketing strategy and the fact that there’s not yet a truly global product offering. But today’s subjects are exciting as the new Orient King Diver 70th Anniversary pieces will be sold globally. Of course, there will be JDM and “rest of world” offerings.

P8120011.jpg

The Original Weekly Auto Orient King Diver

Let’s bring you back to a #TBT article published back in August 2018 about a 1960s Weekly Auto Orient King Diver that I’d sourced from Japan. I declared it to be large and very different from the many smaller Japanese watches during the era. I also mentioned that it, and the rest of Orient’s King Diver line to come, were pretenders in terms of being actual dive watches due to a scant 40 meters of water resistance. With a case that aped the famous EPSA Super Compressors, it looks like a real diver! These watches were technically interesting as they cribbed an IWC-style of automatic movement. Now, it’s 2020 and we have the 70th Anniversary of the Orient Watch Company as we know it today. With this comes a series of retro-inspired Orient King Diver 70th Anniversary models.

rn-aa0d11b_sp1.jpg

the KING is in the house...pretty interesting 70th anniversary...big for land of rising sun...44mm 50mm L2L fume gold my pick

:outstand:Thanks for posting this up, Mike.:hat:

Too much verbiage on the dial for my tastes... Then there's the dreaded extended date window. Other than that, I like it! :oops:

I agree with the criticisms noted above but this might be the most appealing Orient I've seen in a long time. As far as the extended date window, which is usually a deal breaker for me, this on is interesting with the presence of the kanji.

no kanji on USA version...and mineral crystal sub for acrylic on USA version...and " extended date window " is a deal breaker on my fantasy picks 'cause I try to NBZ occupy ..but LEE gets me on occasion...i like fume gold

Back
Top Bottom