Citizen Caliber 0100 Watch Review (accurate to one second per year)

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
38mm case/44mm L2L/9mm thick

Feb 24, 2020

AGF-l7_kZJ82GLXHTGfx3X4dYaTfc9nbcStKKmNfig=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

aBlogtoWatch

Citizen Caliber 0100 Watch Review | aBlogtoWatch

Ariel Adams of aBlogtoWatch reviews the Citizen Caliber 0100 watch - the world’s most accurate self-contained timepiece movement, accurate to one second per year. This particular reference (Ref. AQ6021-51E) is made of Citizen’s proprietary Super Titanium, which offers a hard, scratch-resistant layer over the base grade 5 titanium. The case is 38mm wide and 9mm thick with a 44mm lug-to-lug distance, and topped with a lightly-domed sapphire crystal tops. Pricing is $7,400 USD.

Caliber%200100.png

Citizen-Caliber-0100-11.jpg

Redefining precision and design, the most accurate light-powered watch in the world. The distinguished Limited Edition CITIZEN Caliber 0100 with an annual accuracy of +-1 second and limited to just 500 pieces worldwide. With a focus on every detail, this brand new timepiece features an Super Titanium™ case and bracelet with contrasting black dial, showcased with a skeleton caseback and anti-reflective sapphire crystal. Featuring our Eco-Drive technology – powered by light, any light. Never needs a battery. Caliber number 0100.

Caliber%200100-back.png

Citizen-Caliber-0100-7.jpg

ne of the Caliber 0100’s secrets is how it performs the above task using so little electricity. Citizen Eco-Drive movements (of which the caliber 0100 is one) derive power from a photovoltaic cell right underneath the dial that charges the internal battery. Light power generation is effective but extremely limited when it comes to overall power generation. Standard quartz movements are able to sip electricity and thus the meager power generated by light is enough to power these movements. This is the basic premise of Eco-Drive watches and Citizen has been doing this for well over 30 years. What is different about the Caliber 0100 is that, in principle, it should use dramatically more power than standard quartz movements because of its operating frequency. How Citizen was able to make an 8,400,000 Hertz movement (Caliber 0100) operate with roughly the same electricity generation as a 32,768 Hertz movement (standard quartz) is a total mystery to me and part of the innovation magic inherent in this new product. From a sheer technical perspective, this fact is, in my opinion, the most impressive feature of the Caliber 0100.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/citizen...year-accuracy/

A very sharp three hand, from Citizen. A new "King of the Mountain" in accuracy.:dance2: Beats Bulova by 7 seconds a year!:happy:Thanks Mike.:hat:

I'm amazed at the accuracy of those expensive quartz watches.

Though the movement is accurate, the bracelet adjustment is not. There are no micro adjustment positions for the link in the clasp. :banghead:

This Bulova Precisionist is also accurate to 1 second a year but I only paid around $200. (even though this one is a chronograph I frankly think it looks much better) Just sayin'!

47484620991_a30ec175e7_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom