New Bulova Oceanographer Devil Diver Watches Hands-On

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
APR 11, 2019 — BY BENJAMIN LOWRY

Link to full article →→→→ https://www.ablogtowatch.com/new-bulova-oceanographer-devil-diver-watches/

Spurred on by the success of last year’s Archive Series Oceanographer Devil Diver, Bulova has recently announced the release of two new color variants to expand its heritage-informed collection. The new watches are, except for updated dial colors, identical to the last year’s non-limited, slightly less true-to-the-original, 44mm-wide Devil Diver, originally available with a black and red color scheme. While the new dial colors do not represent a totally new watch, the pieces are bold and representative of Bulova’s (and, indeed, the entire watch industry’s) ever-increasing interest in reissues.

Bulova-Devil-Diver-01-1920.jpg

The two new dial colors are a sort of turquoise-like green and an orange and blue model, both with matching bezels. I am impressed with Bulova’s willingness to employ a couple of color schemes that are seldom seen in the watch industry, harkening back to the glory days of funky-looking and colorful watch dials, especially on divers.

Bulova-Devil-Diver-09.jpg

Last year’s limited-edition (and more expensive) Archive Series Devil Diver came complete with a Swiss movement (a Sellita SW 220), whereas the more pedestrian model featured a Miyota Cal. 821D. These two new Devil Divers also sport the more-than-capable 821D, a workhorse of an automatic movement that beats at a somewhat slow 21,600 vph and does not hack (gasp!).

Bulova-Devil-Diver-06.jpg

The lack of a hacking function will be a turnoff for some but does add in a small way to the vintage feel, as many older automatic divers were not bothered with the need for precise synchronization. The Japanese movement is also indicative of Bulova’s owners, Japanese watch giant Citizen. And a Miyota movement positions the Archive Series Devil Divers at a more affordable price-point, something we as watch nerds can get behind.

The bracelet is only part of the story. The movement is a 21,600 bph Miyota 821 series. I'm sorry, but for this kind of scratch a high beat movement wouldn't hurt instead of this $45.00 non-hacking movement.

The bracelet is only part of the story. The movement is a 21,600 bph Miyota 821 series. I'm sorry, but for this kind of scratch a high beat movement wouldn't hurt instead of this $45.00 non-hacking movement.

I agree which is the only reason I've held off so far as under $400 closer to $350 is what I want to pay. Now I'm just waiting for a few years until one of these new colors gets to that point. I do really like the watch as the case is great and the size perfect for me. I'm patient.

Back
Top Bottom