Bremont Supermarine S500 Watch Review

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Bremont_Seaplane_HR_1350x593.jpg

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont-supermarine-s500-watch-review/

Bremont Supermarine S500 Watch Review

FEB 27, 2019 — BY BENJAMIN LOWRY

Bremont, a British brand closely associated with aviation, has produced several chunky diver’s watches since 2010, including the 43mm Supermarine and 44mm S2000. However, by 2018, the time had more than come for some new subaquatic offerings, and Bremont stepped up with a totally new 40mm watch series in the S300, as well as an updated 500m Supermarine they’re now simply calling the S500. Here, in a wrist time review in which I promise not to attempt to write with a British accent, I’ll share my experiences wearing the newly updated Bremont S500, both on land and beneath the mighty Great Lakes waves. Very well, off we go then, chaps.

While I entered the testing period somewhat unsure, Bremont’s S500 proved itself a totally capable and different-looking diving watch set amidst a brand backdrop of aviation-oriented pieces. While that lineage complicates things a bit, it shouldn’t take away from what Bremont has done in the Supermarine, especially in its newly updated design. This is a real diver’s watch, albeit in a luxurious trim. While I’m not personally the type to take my own $5000 watch diving, especially for work, there are a select few people who will and do, and Bremont has built a watch that is a solid choice for just that. For the rest of us, the Bremont S500 is a distinct diving tool watch design with a lot more capability than it needs, with an interesting tie-in to the aviation community. While it’s easy to argue about value, if you like the S500 and have the coin, you’ll find it a stylish and worthy companion for adventures above and below the water. The Bremont S500 retails for $4495 on a rubber strap or $5095 on a stainless-steel bracelet.

Necessary Data
>Brand: Bremont
>Model: S500
>Price: $4495 on rubber; $5095 on bracelet
>Size: 43mm
>Would reviewer personally wear it: Yes.
>Friend we’d recommend it to first: The aviation watch guy who also loves a good diving watch.
>Best characteristic of watch: The understated, yet effective, dial.
>Worst characteristic of watch: While an interesting idea, I still have some doubts about the long term durability of a three-piece case intended for underwater use.

S500_2018_BK_Front_596x1000.png
S500-BK-18_Back_596x1000.png
Bremont_S500_Black_Lifestyle_1_1400x1400.jpg

RUTHLESSLY TESTED BEYOND ENDURANCE

The first diving watch Bremont ever produced was the 43mm Supermarine 500 which was introduced back in 2009. Co-Founders Nick and Giles English had wanted to build a robust but beautifully engineered diving watch that was very practical in design, but also tied into the brand’s strong aviation heritage. The watch had to also hold its own against any other mechanical professional diving watch in terms of engineering, design and price point. The range was named as a tribute to the brothers’ love of the iconic British aircraft manufacturer responsible for the Supermarine S6B Schneider Trophy Seaplane and of course the incredible Supermarine Spitfire.

• BE-92AE automatic chronometer with 38-hour power reserve
  • 43mm stainless steel Trip-Tick® case construction
  • Water resistant to 50 ATM, 500 metres
  • Integrated rubber strap

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

MOVEMENT

Modified calibre 11 ½''' BE-36AE automatic chronometer, 25 jewels, glucydur balance. Anachron balance spring, Nivaflex 1 mainspring, 28,800 bph, 38-hour power reserve, Bremont moulded and skeletised decorated rotor.

FUNCTIONS

Hour/minute/second, date and day at 3H. S501 features day only.

CASE

Stainless steel Bremont Trip-Tick® case construction with scratch resistant DLC treated case barrel. Inner soft iron anti-magnetic Faraday cage to protect movement. Protective patented anti-shock movement mount. Sapphire uni-directional rotating bezel with Super-LumiNova® luminous coating. Case diameter 43mm. Overall height 16mm. Strap lug width 22mm.

CASE BACK

Stainless steel screw-in and decorated case back. Please note that all our dive watches have screw in case backs for added protection against water entry, this means that any decoration on them may appear at any angle.

DIAL

Metal dial with applied indexes. Super-LumiNova® coated indexes and hands.

CRYSTAL

Domed anti-reflective, scratch resistant sapphire crystal.

WATER RESISTANCE

Water resistant to 50 ATM, 500 metres.

RATINGS

C.O.S.C chronometer tested.

CERTIFICATION

Individually serial numbered with accompanying C.O.S.C certification.

Reminds me of the TSAO Torsk Diver at a much higher price.......Still nice looking

Zelos used a similar crown guard design, but moved it down to the four position.

lighter

Bremont overall is a curious case for me. I feel that at retail they are about 25-40% over priced for what you get. This is especially true in the aviation lines, IMO where the dial finishing and details are not remarkably better than a Christopher Ward. Of their lines though I do like the Super Marine series. They decided to go with a specific case architecture to provide a vision across the product line, similar to how Omega has the same basic case for Speedies and Seamasters. And that is where the money goes my friends. The case shape is unique and very well finished.

Went to a Bremont event last Oct co-hosted by the TGV, the product line didn't compel me to put any on the wish list. Going to another Bremont event next week where I'll get to preview the 2019 lines so lets see if anything gets more exciting....

of note I have now been invited to as many Bremont events (2) without ever buying anything from them as I have Omega and Breitling where I have made AD/boutique purchases. So much for customer perks?
:think:

I have no problem with the price. If the design, build and anything else that goes into the production merit the cost. Would I pay it? Probably not, even if they picked me up in a Rolls-Royce to take me to one of their events. Too many of these companies use a modified ETA movement and put their own caliber on it, dressing it up with a custom rotor. When you get into a certain price range you should have your own in-house movement, invest some of the asking price back into product development rather than advertising campaigns.

be-36ae-dd.png

Bremont caliber BE-36AE

Brand: Bremont
Reference: BE-36AE
Base: ETA 2836-2
Movement: Automatic
Display: Analog
Diameter: 25.60
Jewels: 25
Reserve: 38
Frequency: 28800
Date: Date, Day
Hands: Hours, Minutes, Seconds
Additionals: Chronometer
Description
Modified calibre 13 1/4” BE-36AE automatic chronometer, 25 jewels, glucydur balance. Anachron balance spring, Nivaflex 1 mainspring, 28,800 bph, 38 hour power reserve, Bremont moulded and skeletised decorated rotor

Back
Top Bottom