roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Part 2: New York City Street Photography

AGF-l79l4rtCXGS9zUX3GBOeCigT5uwWoOZvPXGdgg=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

At HODINKEE, I oversee digital products and strategy

Oct 24, 2019

Hodinkee

In the first installment of MY LEICA – a four part series made in partnership with Leica – we offer a glimpse into the world of Mo Ali. In addition to directing product strategy at HODINKEE, Mo is an avid driver, family man, and Leica shooter whose approach to photography is anchored by his desire to slow down the world around him.

"I first took up photography when I was working in the start-up world, when the pace of my life was constantly accelerating," says Ali. "Photography was a way for me to slow down and focus on a single thing. I would bring the camera up to my eye, tune everything else out, and click the shutter."

For the full story https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/my-leica-mo-ali

Last edited:
I love his views, they are indeed valid. but in todays world the idea of film is long gone. In a profession where phones capture images and take video just as well, and twice as fast, with full size digital cameras topping even that. Uploading your art directly from your device to the social media of choice. Add in price differences, and storing 1000 photos digitally as opposed to 1000 film snap shots. longevity of your work. Its really not even a debate. I do understand the idea of taking time to smell the flowers, but we are just a digital nation. when I was 20 I woulda never guessed it. but here we are...

May 27, 2019

https://thedarkroom.com/film-vs-digital-comparison/

These Professional Photographers Are Still Shooting Film. Here’s Why

https://time.com/4646116/film-photography-inspiration/ [h=1]
The serendipity of a moment that cannot be erased and the separation of the editing process not only demands a more thoughtful method but also frequently engenders “the perfect mistake." Rather than discarding his errors, Pinckers, who shoots most of his work on film, celebrates these happy accidents. “I don’t review or learn from my mistakes – I use them,” he says. “The mistakes in the work very often function in a positive sense; they surprise you. With a digital camera the room for error is much smaller.” Jessica Dimmock, a documentary photojournalist, adds: “I think that there’s something a little more mindful and deliberate about film that’s really appealing and that’s part of the comeback. We can all get whatever we need on our phones anywhere at any time, there’s something really nice about removing photography from that immediate equation."
[/h]

In my 35mm shooting days it was all composing your subject: light source, film speed, depth of field and your optics.
It actually took time to and thought to get the shot. Lot's of things to consider. I miss those days, and my camera's sit in a drawer.
Noize is correct, it has all changed, and may be not for the better.

I love his views, they are indeed valid. but in todays world the idea of film is long gone. In a profession where phones capture images and take video just as well, and twice as fast, with full size digital cameras topping even that. Uploading your art directly from your device to the social media of choice. Add in price differences, and storing 1000 photos digitally as opposed to 1000 film snap shots. longevity of your work. Its really not even a debate. I do understand the idea of taking time to smell the flowers, but we are just a digital nation. when I was 20 I woulda never guessed it. but here we are...

^^^^^+1:cheers:^^^^^

Jack Forster On New York City Street Photography, Past And Present | My Leica

Nov 14, 2019

AGF-l79l4rtCXGS9zUX3GBOeCigT5uwWoOZvPXGdgg=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

Hodinkee

In the second installment of MY LEICA – a four part series made in partnership with Leica – we introduce you to HODINKEE Editor-in-Chief Jack Forster and his Leica M Monochrom. Jack's passion for street photography was born when he moved to New York City in the early 1980's and he's been documenting the city's transformations through his own unique lens ever since.

For the full story: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/my-leica-jack-forster

Back
Top Bottom