Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE 14 BRAND NATO STYLE SHOWDOWN AND REVIEW- TOXIC NATO ADDED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very nicely done posting Gavin...
    Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey...

Comment

Originally posted by Cootuk View Post
      I've only just come across Marine Nationale straps as opposed to a Nato, and I have to say they're brilliant.

Erikas Originals start around £45, but custom buckles and strap printing can take them nearer £90.
      Elasticated material is comfortable and allows easy removal of the watch (you don't undo the buckle).

Since Natos were specified in 1973, any vintage diver or modern homage would look authentic on an MN.

Apart from NdCstraps and Erikas Originals, who else are the reputable suppliers? It does seem a limited market that, with a bit more general awareness, could grow substantially.
      Seems as though NDC are only sold through Jackostraps right? I think they're one in the same. I never really got too deeply into them because the fabric and customization choices aren't nearly as varied as Erika Originals. From pics the hardware doesn't look as good either but I can't speak for that at all. It would seem there is an open door for a market here with the style of strap with some variation perhaps to the single stripe look of typical MNs. As noted in my review, the Watch Steward is certainly aiming for the same crowd.

Originally posted by gregg View Post
      This is a must read reference for us Watch addicted folks. Anyone venturing into that nether world for Nato's or their Zulu cousin then this is best place to start. I did just order a leather belt from Sophie so can't wait to put on my Almirante.
      I have spent so many hours perusing the WWW and your work helps narrow down my buying options to a manageable list, just Great Work Gavin!
      Originally posted by timecat View Post
      Wow. All I can say is Wow. I've never seen a review like this before. You and I have had some interesting discussions about Natos, so I know how much you know about them. This is over the top and to the best of my knowledge far and away the best such review on the internet. Thank you Gavin! This is the kinda stuff that make WatchInTyme so great!

I actually just sold my Erika's Original--shipped it yesterday in fact. Not because I didn't like it, but more because I couldn't find a good match for it with my current watch collection. I had the lumed stripe Black Ops, which was 50 Euros shipped, and I sold it for $48 used, so I was happy. The resale value on these is quite good. They are amazingly comfortable, and the quality is definitely there. I will say that I felt the lume on my lumed stripe could have been brighter.

I feel compelled to toss in my Amazon best value idea--made by Randon, which I assume is a Chinese manufacturer. It's a set of 2 seat belt Natos, one black and one Bond. $15.99 for the pair or $8 bucks per, shipped. Very high quality material.....The quality belies the price, IMHO....

https://www.amazon.com/Randon-Straps...om%2Bnato&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Randon-Straps...dom+nato&psc=1
      Gregg and Robert thanks so much for the kudos. As I mentioned I was a little hesitant to provide a review like this withouth Toxic, Phenom and Moose straps represented because of their positions in the market but I also didn't want to spend another $100 to buy 3 straps that I didn't need/want at the time.

That is a great deal Robert and I think that's quite indicative of the nato strap game right now. There are soooooo many websites out there selling their own versions. I think the Gnomon in my review are examples of some of the standard Chinese factory work that's out there to be branded and sold. There are too many out there to mention let alone review but it is always helpful when a fellow enthusiast can find you a deal.

I also hear you RObert on "finding the right watch". I can't tell you how many color combos are out there that I love but I just don't have the watch to match and it would be foolish to buy a watch just to match a strap.... right? lol
      "It had to start somewhere, It had to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?"

Comment

Wow...That is some review. I can tell that you not only like these straps, but that you are fairly well informed about them. Thank you for great presentation.
        "NON SIBI SED PATRIAE"
        NOT FOR SELF BUT FOR COUNTRY!
        Marlon Craige / U.S.Navy

Comment

So I went a little nuts for "strap week" and added 14 new straps from Cheapest Nato. Not a big deal I know, the prices were insane.

HOWEVER! For the purposes of this thread I was also able to add a Toxic Nato Shiznit strap the the fold. After living with it for a little over a week I felt comfortable adding information on it to the thread. So some pics a small write-up and additional information has been added to include the Toxc.

Hope you find it helpful
          "It had to start somewhere, It had to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?"

Comment

I have to tell you, Gavin, that it is presentations like this one that I love to just curl up with and enjoy reading, which, by the way I DID X2! I love colorful NATO straps, and it seems I'm always looking for a new one to complement some watch or another that I may have picked up on a whim, and so perhaps don't feel that I've too much invested to give a few different ones a try. Well, I've come full circle from that sense of "how it's done with NATO's," and I have to credit that to, I think, the Happy Band of Happy Horologists at Happy Hamilton, or just 'Happy Hammy,' for short.

When they provided the above strap with the above watch, it sent me to a place I'd never been to before, vis-a-vis expensive dressy/sporty watches with colorful NATO straps. (Unfortunately, the metal tip they -- Hamilton -- put on the thing almost backfired, but it was just a simple matter of bending it a bit, and -- voila! -- there it t'was!!) Suddenly, a NATO actually looked BETTER than the OEM strap, and no one seemed to get too upset -- excepting old Mrs. Seamas, and she has 38 cats, so no one listens to her...

In the end, it was that one Hammy NATO that really got me going, and suddenly, no combination was too outlandish, and NO design was too weird...

My weird old "Zody"...

NOS Seagulls...and so on.

V V V V V V Even THIS one! V V V V V V

And before it gets any MORE goofy, I better quit while I'm ahead...

Uh-OH! Too LATE!!

So much for THAT idea...
            "Remove all the psychopaths, liars, idiots, sociopaths, morons, illiterates (functional or otherwise), vainglorious, imbeciles and U of Oregon boosters. Throw in some tolerance, mutual respect, high intellect, basic goodness, genuine caring for each others' values & beliefs, and insistence on the truth. THAT is how you go from 'them' to 'us,' here at WIT." - M.D. Praesepultus

Comment

^love those cool natos, tons of retro vibe!

Comment

Cool and cheap with these color combo's is the only way to go. Tanks for sharing Gavin and MJ for contributing here.

Comment

I don't know how I missed all this Gavin.
                  Its a great thread.
                  You made me take two days to read all of it
                  ..........Louis..................sigpic .........

Comment

@darkoverlord, many, many thanks for letting me butt into your excellent thread! I wasn't trying to out-do you, but rather was wanting to show that I too was into the whole NATO thing! I really & truly enjoyed the opportubity to contribute to the thread...
                    "Remove all the psychopaths, liars, idiots, sociopaths, morons, illiterates (functional or otherwise), vainglorious, imbeciles and U of Oregon boosters. Throw in some tolerance, mutual respect, high intellect, basic goodness, genuine caring for each others' values & beliefs, and insistence on the truth. THAT is how you go from 'them' to 'us,' here at WIT." - M.D. Praesepultus

Comment

Holy smoley! Just noticed them. Nice!

Welcome to WatchinTyme, where you don't have to wipe your feet before entering! But don't bother me because I'm on my coffee break!

Comment

UPDATES ON 6/2/19

New brand and straps added.
                        Hadley Roma joins the thread.... the newer Alpha Shark Premier by BluShark is added and an update on the Alpha Shark line as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X