Retro Review & Analysis: Strider Watch LTD "Hyperdive" - Watchland's "One Hit Wonder"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice review and pix....I have the black (#1) that I got from Wing a year or so ago.... long after the demise.....

Excellent review :outstand: I have both black dials in stainless and black ip that I have never worn or sized. Too many black dials at the time, but had to have the watches regardless.

Anyone have a grey dial to trade. :hmm:

Very nice review and pics, thank you for taking the time and sharing it with us.

Great review. Have the pvd.
7973ca95fb82390d5e1f80592f3eea13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well done Bill, thank you for taking the time. I'm glad that you, and others appreciate the watch and all the work that went into it.

You raised a couple of questions, and I thought it would be a good idea to answer them for you.

It took two years to develop the watch because I'm extremely cautious about anything that I design. My Imperious watches also took two years to come to fruition. I have a particular vision in mind, down to the smallest details, and i don't like hearing "we can't do that", so I press until I get my way. Wing of course never said no, but factories don't always like to do exactly what you ask for.

I like that you were fair and unbiased in your notes. You're absolutely right about the finish on the non-PVD models. It was supposed to be a much finer brushed finish. As a matter of fact, the example I gave the factory was to replicate the satin finish of an Omega. I was preoccupied with luminescent issues and hand issues that needed to be changed from the prototypes to the production models, and I didn't stay on top of my finish requests, so the finishes weren't as refined as I had wanted. Good catch, and fair call out.

As to the plans for other models and the ultimate demise of the brand....

Many things changed when I left Florida for Texas. I was partnering up with someone else to get the next model funded but everything fell through. It's a shame because I made the mistake of believing someone who ultimately just wanted to take advantage of me. It happens, and it's in the past, so I don't bother to think about it anymore.

I was going to simply going to fund it myself (I still own Strider Watch LTD to this day), but the capital required went into my shop set up for knifemaking (which I do fulltime). I have also invested in another business that's soon to launch (not watch related), so all of my funds have been tied up indefinitely.

I still have renderings of the second design, and my sketches of 3 other models. They may or may not ever come to fruition. I'd like to do it someday because I think a lot of folks will love them.

I appreciate all of you who have owned one, and still own some. Thank you very much. I still wear my black PVD nearly daily.

Well done Bill, thank you for taking the time. I'm glad that you, and others appreciate the watch and all the work that went into it.

You raised a couple of questions, and I thought it would be a good idea to answer them for you.

It took two years to develop the watch because I'm extremely cautious about anything that I design. My Imperious watches also took two years to come to fruition. I have a particular vision in mind, down to the smallest details, and i don't like hearing "we can't do that", so I press until I get my way. Wing of course never said no, but factories don't always like to do exactly what you ask for.

I like that you were fair and unbiased in your notes. You're absolutely right about the finish on the non-PVD models. It was supposed to be a much finer brushed finish. As a matter of fact, the example I gave the factory was to replicate the satin finish of an Omega. I was preoccupied with luminescent issues and hand issues that needed to be changed from the prototypes to the production models, and I didn't stay on top of my finish requests, so the finishes weren't as refined as I had wanted. Good catch, and fair call out.

Many things changed when I left Florida for Texas. I was partnering up with someone else to get the next model funded but everything fell through. It's a shame because I made the mistake of believing someone who ultimately just wanted to take advantage of me. It happens, and it's in the past, so I don't bother to think about it anymore.

I was going to simply going to fund it myself (I still own Strider Watch LTD to this day), but the capital required went into my shop set up for knifemaking (which I do fulltime). I have also invested in another business that's soon to launch (not watch related), so all of my funds have been tied up indefinitely.

I still have renderings of the second design, and my sketches of 3 other models. They may or may not ever come to fruition. I'd like to do it someday because I think a lot of folks will love them.

I appreciate all of you who have owned one, and still own some. Thank you very much. I still wear my black PVD nearly daily.

Nice to hear from you Jim, as a regular on this forum, I appreciate you responding to Bill's fine review and sharing with us. I own 2 Striders myself (a SS Black Dial & BIP Black Dial) and they are honored members of my collection. Hope all is well with you. As they say, don't be a stranger :)

Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here. Wonderful memories come to mind. Thanks for reviewing Bill’s review. I still wear my gray Strider on occasion. You sold me so many watches, I can’t wear ANY more than on occasion.....lol.
My wife and I truly hope you and your family are well.
Take care....and if you ever get to VIRGINIA.....
Bob

Have you thought about crowd funding? You have a dedicated following and a track record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review. I have the black dial and enjoy wearing this piece. Only mistake I made was not ordering the sapphire crystal case back.

Great review. I have the black dial and enjoy wearing this piece. Only mistake I made was not ordering the sapphire crystal case back.

Me, too. I have the gray dial. But after spending $500, i just didn’t wanna spend another $50...wish I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom