REVIEW: Bulova Precisionist - "Champlain" 3-Hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

timetraveler

Tyme Machine
Founding Member
Time Management Alert!
This will be about a ten-minute read...
timetraveler's WiT Review of the
Bulova 96B131 Precisionist - Champlain - 3-hand

SPECIFICATIONS:
Case Diameter: 47mm w/o crown, 50mm w/crown
Case Thickness: 14.5mm
Case Material: Stainless Steel
Weight: 8 ounces/228 grams
Movement: Bulova (Citizen) P102.12, Precisionist Quartz
Movement Jewels: 8
Bezel Type: Fixed
Bezel Material: Stainless Steel
Crystal Material: AR-coated Mineral Glass
Crown: Screw down, Signed (Accutron Tuning Fork Logo)
Bracelet/Strap Width: 24mm
Bracelet/Strap Material: Stainless Steel
Clasp/Buckle Type: Single-deployant with Flip Lock, Micro-adjustable, Snap-out 1" Extension
Water Resistance: 300 Meters
Model Number: 96B131

INTRODUCTION: I was first attracted to this watch based upon its "machine" design and curved bezel and crystal.

Further study led to my curiosity about the new (in 2012) Bulova/Citizen precisionist quartz movement. Its smooth-
sweep seconds-hand, and high degree of accuracy claims, were intriguing at the very least. And knowing that Citizen
- a maker that I have utmost respect for - had recently acquired the brand and was taking it in new directions, piqued
my interest even further.

But life, funding restraints and other distraction delayed my acquisition until now. And "later", as they say, is better
than "never". In this case, I certainly agree!

PRESENTATION: This Champlain 3-hand comes in the standard, sleeved, Bulova paper box. It's nestled upon a signed
pillow and protected by a foam cushion on the inner lid. It is quite a simple presentation for this watch, but somehow
seems appropriate.

Cnm74F.jpg

c6h2SG.jpg

CASE & BEZEL: The uniqueness of this timepiece starts here. This case is definitely not "off the shelf". The highly angular

design and strong use of both brushed and polished surfaces is not only different from most other watches, but also from
others in the Precisionist line-up. Adding greatly to the industrial look is the knurling and hex-screws on the bezel, and the
worm-gear grooving of the large crown. The bezel is fixed, and the well-guarded screw-down crown is substantial in proportion
and precise in functionality.

4RbDrp.jpg

KHbN1k.jpg

PNQLmo.jpg

CRYSTAL & BEZEL CONFIGURATION: Herein lies another major design feature of this watch. The curve mineral-glass crystal is perfectly seated within
the identically-curved bezel. Somehow this soft approach to the watch head, used in combination with the overall squared-off look of the piece makes for
a very appealing and almost seductive appearance. While Bulova does not tout an anti-reflective coating of the crystal, my personal examination reveals
that one almost certainly has been applied.

saV6vq.jpg

y7RN3F.jpg

DIAL: I find the rather complicated dial, and its varied elements to be suitable and appropriate for this watch. There is a great variety of both material
and finish. The black, outer chapter ring with yellow highlights marks the seconds (or minutes, take your pick). The next ring, although difficult to capture
photographically, is of a machined silver metallic material. It lies upon a dark blue surface carved with concentric circles that includes a pie-shaped three-
day date window surround at the "3" position. Then, moving in, is a stainless steel 24-hour chapter ring that has screws mimicking the position of those
on the bezel. At the center of it all is a rich, black carbon-fiber dial surface. Applied hour indices, and stick hour and minute hands, are of lume-filled
stainless steel. The strong yellow color of the seconds hand, date pointer and outer ring highlights make this a piece that grabs your attention more than
most and is yet still easy to read. Remarkable!

DdpDkp.jpg

xUgzK6.jpg

MOVEMENT: This, cannot be brief. I will try to present this topic to the best of my ability and based upon exhausting on-line research.

The proprietary Citizen Precisionist movement is the single most notable aspect of the entire Bulova Precisionist Collection. And it is the primary reason for the
higher than average price for a non-luxury quartz watch. Street prices for the collection range from approximately $300, to $600. I got lucky and picked this
one up for $180. from a respected eBay seller.

First: Citizen claims to have no immediate plans to expand the movement's use beyond that of the Bulova Precisionist Collection - thus giving their new
acquisition a competitive and distinguishing edge. The purported distinct advantages of the power plant are an extremely smooth sweep seconds hand, and,
a higher level of accuracy than other purely quartz watch movements.

Pilfered YouTube video demonstrating sweep seconds hand:

The technology: Other quartz movements use a 2-prong quartz crystal for the regulator. The Precisionist movement uses a 3-prong crystal. There are
reportedly three major benefits to this type of movement...

1. It is claimed to be accurate to within 10 seconds per year, while 2-prong movements are generally rated to within 15 seconds per month.

2. The smooth sweep is achieved because the Precisionist beats a 16 times per second, making it equal to the Seiko Spring Drive, and actually more smooth
than most mechanical movements.

3. Quartz watches "tick" in order to save battery life. Yet Citizen claims an equal battery life on the Precisionist movement of approximately three years. How
they achieve this feat, other than by the use of a high energy lithium-ion battery, remains shrouded in conjecture.

Movement Moisture Protection: Screw-down case back and crown.

HHkUnm.jpg

Diameter of the battery is about the same as a nickel.
nzSCxu.jpg

This roundish piece of black film fits between the battery and movement. I assume that it limits conductivity to only appropriate parts of the movement.
dv9dIt.jpg

xXLROk.jpg

BRACELET: Rarely have I seen a better-integrated bracelet on a watch than here. This massive beauty flows seamlessly into the lugs. With solid links

all around, and at 5mm thick, this three-piece 24mm beast still drapes smoothly over the wrist. Links are joined with top-quality push pins and are easy
to add/remove.

The clasp is a work of art in itself. It is of the single-deployant fold over variety with a flip-lock safety device. It has three micro adjustments, and if that's
not enough, there is a snap-out extension that adds another 3/4 " in length for wear over a sweater or wet suit. The entire bracelet is constructed of 316L
stainless steel.

sumtqs.jpg

7OQlZD.jpg

i6DOYN.jpg

DwmHeM.jpg

LUMENOSITY: I have been unable to determine what luminous material is used here. Suffice it to say that Citizen did not share its "glowability" with
Bulova. But for a non-diver, it is adequate.

67e5OE.jpg

i83zpq.jpg

COMPARISON: While nothing in my collection is truly comparable to the 96B131, I do consider this to be a "tool" watch. Although rated at 300M water

resistance, this watch is identified by Bulova as a Sport watch rather than a Diver - and because of the fixed bezel, I agree.

However, the closest comparisons to this piece in my collection are the Seiko FrankenMonster and Citizen EcoZilla.

E40cCf.jpg

CONCLUSION: This watch has more than lived up to my expectations. Brad (Flyback), an old friend and great enabler through several watch forums,

first encouraged me to own a Precisionist. And as usual, he was right. This piece goes great with casual wear, and I love it with jeans and a sweater.
Though large and heavy by some standards (half a pound and 50mm with crown), it fits comfortably and is easy to read at a glance. And that smooth-as-
silk sweep second hand is a delight to behold. I don't have the equipment to technically verify accuracy but I'll take Citizen/Bulova's word for it.

If you like to sport an unusual timepiece, and a real conversation starter, then this may be the watch for you. This watch is available as a chronograph model
and in several different color and strap/bracelet executions.
wO3qLx.jpg

005UFM.jpg

The Precisionist line is available in four distinct collections. They include styles for men and women, and in designs from rough and ready
to very dressy.
4458037844_956c4295bb_o.jpg

Model 96B131

PROS:
* Comfort to weight ratio
* Wrist presence
* "Tool" look
* Instant readability
* Attention to design detail
* Mechanical-like sweep
* Top of Class bracelet and clasp
* Fit and finish above par

CONS:
* Batteries are expensive at brick & mortar - at least $5.00 each. Cheaper on-line but risk of limited life.
* The many grooves and crevices make this one a real dust catcher.

WRIST SHOTS:

8FjUqP.jpg

blQvLM.jpg

Re0IMs.jpg

So that's my review of the Bulova Precisionist Champlain Model 96B131. Hope you enjoyed it!
RcUycS.jpg

And as always... Thanks for lookin', WiTs!!!

You may, and should, submit YOUR reviews of timepieces to the forum.

REVIEW: Bulova Precisionist - Champlain 3-Hand.

A most excellent review!! Great information and detail along with great photos. Thanks for taking the time to put together such an in depth and great review![br][br]I would like to include this as an Official WiT review.

Great pics & info on a very interesting piece, Bill. Everyone I know who owns one absolutely loves them. I know there's one in my future.[br][br]Thanks for taking the time, my friend.[br]Well done.

Great review of an awesome Bulova.

Awesome review and great photos ,very impressive,by the way FYI the batteries are very inexpensive you can get a 5 pk of Energizers at Amazon for $3.)5,I have the exact same watch, thanks for taking the time to do this enjoyed your breakdown and photos.[br][br][br]http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CR2))6-Lithium-Battery-5-Pk/dp/B)))RB))CK/ref=sr_)_)/)87-46)3))3-54263)8?ie=UTF8&qid=)42)863623&sr=8-)&keywords=cr2))6+battery[br][br]Energizer CR2))6 Lithium Battery, 5-Pk[br][br]
4)U4VtdG3YL.jpg

[quote source=/post/)3)457/thread timestamp=)42)863928 author=@roadwarrior]Awesome review and great photos ,very impressive,by the way FYI the batteries are very inexpensive you can get a 5 pk of Energizers at Amazon for $3.)5,I have the exact same watch, thanks for taking the time to do this enjoyed your breakdown and photos.[br][br][br]http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CR2))6-Lithium-Battery-5-Pk/dp/B)))RB))CK/ref=sr_)_)/)87-46)3))3-54263)8?ie=UTF8&qid=)42)863623&sr=8-)&keywords=cr2))6+battery[br][br]Energizer CR2))6 Lithium Battery, 5-Pk[br][br]
4)U4VtdG3YL.jpg

[quote source=/post/)3)464/thread timestamp=)42)864599 author=@timetraveler][quote source=/post/)3)457/thread timestamp=)42)863928 author=@roadwarrior]Awesome review and great photos ,very impressive,by the way FYI the batteries are very inexpensive you can get a 5 pk of Energizers at Amazon for $3.)5,I have the exact same watch, thanks for taking the time to do this enjoyed your breakdown and photos.[br][br][br]http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CR2))6-Lithium-Battery-5-Pk/dp/B)))RB))CK/ref=sr_)_)/)87-46)3))3-54263)8?ie=UTF8&qid=)42)863623&sr=8-)&keywords=cr2))6+battery[br][br]Energizer CR2))6 Lithium Battery, 5-Pk[br][br]
4)U4VtdG3YL.jpg

[font face=georgia color=#77)7)4 size=3]Exceptional Review Bill! I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to educate me on a Great looking timepiece that I previously knew almost nothing about...... Well Done Sir![/font]

[quote timestamp=)42)862)24 author=@admin source=/post/)3)434/thread]A most excellent review!! Great information and detail along with great photos. Thanks for taking the time to put together such an in depth and great review![br][br]I would like to include this as an Official WiT review.[/quote]FLYBACK is smiling

Great pics and review! Bulova really stepped it up these last years in the design department.

[br]
CONS:[br][br]* Batteries are expensive at brick & mortar - at least $25.)) each. Cheaper on-line but risk of limited life.[br][br]Read more: http://watchintyme.com/thread/))49)/review-bulova-precisionist-champlain-hand#ixzz3OQfQRpJR[br][br]
$25.)) or $5.)) is way too much unless you can't wait a few days for the battery and I have changed countless quart watches and if you buy those kits that have bulk batteries it's true you can get bad codes/dates and have short battery life but if you stick with tried and true brands like Sony,Maxell,Energizer,Renata etc and purchase from reputable sites like Amazon and [font color=e6)92e]MICROBATTERY.com (All brands are purchased fresh from the manufacturers monthly)[/font] and there are others who have fresher stock on hand than many brick and mortar stores because of higher volume and turnover I have always had nothing but positive results and all batteries have had excellent expiration codes and shelf life and prices are a lot less than $5.)) per battery Microbattery has the Maxell CR2))6 for $).25 each .[br][br]http://www.microbattery.com/social?search=cr2))6[br][br][br]http://www.microbattery.com/[br][br]
Microbatteryinverted2_zps3ddde)5a.jpg~original

Great review! Thx!

[quote source=/post/)3)457/thread author=@roadwarrior timestamp=)42)863928]Awesome review and great photos ,very impressive,by the way FYI the batteries are very inexpensive you can get a 5 pk of Energizers at Amazon for $3.)5,I have the exact same watch, thanks for taking the time to do this enjoyed your breakdown and photos.[br][br][br]http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CR2))6-Lithium-Battery-5-Pk/dp/B)))RB))CK/ref=sr_)_)/)87-46)3))3-54263)8?ie=UTF8&qid=)42)863623&sr=8-)&keywords=cr2))6+battery[br][br]Energizer CR2))6 Lithium Battery, 5-Pk[br][br]
[img style= style=max-width:)))%; src=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4)U4VtdG3YL.jpg][br][/quote][br][font size=4 face=comic sans ms]Hey RW, I used to order from Amazon but now I go to Esslinger's. Same Energizers at Esslinger.com at $).49 ea., $).46 each or $2.3) for a 5 pk. If you want to go for a better battery, (per my watch repair guy), the Renata battery in this configuration are $).48 ea or $).44 each or $2.2) for the five pack. Discounted for 5 or more pieces. Fast shipping and usually cheaper than Amazon.[br][br][a href=[url]http://www.esslinger.com/energizer-lithium-2))6-watch-battery-replacement-cells.aspx]Energizer[/url] CR2))6 At Esslingers[/a][br][br][a href=[url]http://www.esslinger.com/renata-cr2))6-watch-battery-replacement.aspx]Renata[/url] CR2))6 At Esslingers[/a][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][/font]

[quote source=/post/)3)732/thread timestamp=)42)9)26)8 author=@watchaddict][quote source=/post/)3)457/thread timestamp=)42)863928 author=@roadwarrior]Awesome review and great photos ,very impressive,by the way FYI the batteries are very inexpensive you can get a 5 pk of Energizers at Amazon for $3.)5,I have the exact same watch, thanks for taking the time to do this enjoyed your breakdown and photos.[br][br][br]http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CR2))6-Lithium-Battery-5-Pk/dp/B)))RB))CK/ref=sr_)_)/)87-46)3))3-54263)8?ie=UTF8&qid=)42)863623&sr=8-)&keywords=cr2))6+battery[br][br]Energizer CR2))6 Lithium Battery, 5-Pk[br][br]
4)U4VtdG3YL.jpg

[font face=comic sans ms size=4]Awesome review and pictures on an really amazing watch. Design is spot on, technology is unbelievably advanced. I can't stop saying to myself, this This a quartz watch? Look at that sweep second hand! Thank you Bill for taking the tyme to gather and report all the information on this fantastic timepiece. It truly is a remarkable watch. I own the one you reviewed and was so impressed that I added 3 more of the Precisionist line to my collection. They are true beauties. Congrats on finally being able to add one to your collection. I feel the same way about mine that you do about yours. [/font]

Great review, Bill! I love my Precisionist and have had my eye on this one too.

Bill traveling time with major steez

Great review as always.

[font face=comic sans MS size=4]Great watch comprehensive review nuff said![/font]

Great review Bill and very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom