Herculean Feats!

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
Some other watches soon to post, with my 2019 wrap up having properly now turned into a series of early 2020 pick-ups, but decided to start with the most recent arrival, the Aragon “Hercules," which is not actually related to my 2019 wish list, haha, other than being another Aragon, a brand that I only discovered last year.

So.....tangentially connected, kinda, sorta.....okay, I'll admit it, I haven't stopped the habit, so, let's toss out the justifications, and enjoy the watch!

It may not be the case that mighty Wing resides atop Mt. Olympus, from whence he hurls lightning bolts of fury, but, he certainly throws some amazing watches out into the watch world. Deification, or even sainthood, is likely a far stretch for any watch creator, but my hat remains ever off to the creative mind behind Aragon watches, and this sixth pick up only furthers my respect.

It may have been Prometheus who stole fire from the gods, but Wing’s “Hercules” here is a light show all its own, which is what drew me to this piece, and I opted for the uber light-tubed version (31 tubes, in all!).

Here it is, reminding me of some distant galaxy hanging in the darkness of space. Nice touch with the well lumed screw down crown.

d7QIOwj.jpg

And here, looking just as sweet in daylight, having arrived a few days ago in the trusty (and well made!) presentation box (Seiko could certainly learn boxing from this brand!):

4JbgzpI.jpg

A few more shots, then we'll get into a few details:

NOe5BlB.jpg

CvG2FgF.jpg

The inspiration, for me? Well, I love Ball watches, or, the look of many of them, at least. While a number of brands do Tritium, Ball really does it in style, but, they are a bit on the pricey side, and, sadly, most models I like are very much on the too-small-for-my-taste case size side, so I was very intrigued to see Aragon announce this tritium laden beauty, which does the 3, 6, 9 and 12 numbers in those lovely tubes of light -- and using T100 Tritium, instead of T25, allegedly more brilliant, with which I agree, just from experience in owning both.

The 31 tubes of glowy stuff come in a few colors here, a soft blue, brilliant green, and a glowing orange ember on the seconds hand. Added to this is Wing’s “custom” K1 glass bezel with further illumination, courtesy of Superluminova.

I don’t know what it is with me and lume (I also love tactical flashlights, haha). Maybe it’s just from being a night owl, who knows, but Tritium remains a favorite for me, with just the “always on” aspect of being able to read the time. Add in a lumey bezel, and I was sold on this watch, right from the first email advert I received about it. In real life, it certainly does NOT disappoint.

The light show….

dTca8HL.jpg

The lume on the bezel is fun while it lasts, which is not long (it is by no means Seiko level for staying power), but the Tritium adorned dial is a thing of beauty. At full lume, the bezel is a great feature though, almost appearing to be back lit.

I was very thankful to see it offered in a 50mm case size, and Wing will have a long time fan, in me, by offering these creative designs in larger formats. 50mm is not crazy big, but gives a girthy watch for those of us who are larger case fans.

I will say that this one has a rather “flat” fit, so it nearly threatens to overhang, instead of hug, my 7 inch wrist, but after final adjustments, it wears well, stays in place, and it’s very comfortable.

I opted for the blue dial, which kind of gives it that “sky and clouds” look of blue and white. The dial has some decorative rings at the outer edge, and the choice of hue for the blue is quite beautiful, making this one of my favorite blue dial watches that I own. The high polish finish was a bit of a question mark to my mind, at first glance, but, with the high polish hands, it does give that “Ball” kind of feel to it, as a dressy/sporty watch.

6VvkZI7.jpg

Bracelet has some decoration to it and, again, high polish throughout. At the end of the day, with the shiny glass unidirectional bezel, the mirror polish finish pulls it all together with some elegance, and it is an eye catching watch, for sure.

PxVE2kI.jpg

Seiko auto, of course, with a generously sized exhibition case back. 200m WR, screw down crown, K1 mineral crystal. Flip lock push button deployant clasp, and I did not opt to upgrade it. The fit on these is just fine, it locks up securely, and it almost seems that this one came with a heavier grade of stamped clasp, which was a pleasant surprise. The bracelet is hefty and solid, super easy to size, and the whole watch exudes quality.

ZGHdd6Q.jpg

YBHdIdk.jpg

BsKB9WK.jpg

Sale priced, a real steal here, and my Aragon family is happily growing!

Let’s enjoy the rest of the siblings, shall we, from my first find, on forward:

The Divemaster:

2p4Q5fK.jpg

9wx14aj.jpg

Parma T100 (with a comparison shot to a T25 Luminox model, on the right):

oHVSdxe.jpg

5daY6Q8.jpg

The Bioluminescence:

RtxNtGk.jpg

The Divemaster 3:

isK8W2y.jpg

NaaGOxc.jpg

The Superjet:

pVvhIDF.jpg

3kKpZ1T.jpg

And, once again, the new, heroic, Hercules!

UHDr8H1.jpg

T2laQCR.jpg

As always, my thanks to the members of this forum for bringing my attention to this wonderful brand of watches, and my thanks to Wing Engineering for great products at great prices. I look forward to what else will come from the treasure trove of the Aragon skunkworks!

:dance2::happy::dance:

Keep on watching! :)

Always enjoy your reviews and photos. Congrats on the new Aragon tritium watch. On a side note about Tritium tube ratings having dozens in my collection I learned that....

There is no such thing as a T25 or T100 tube. For example, if there was such a thing as a T100 tube, a US market watch would lawfully be allowed to have exactly ONE of them, no more.

Dec 28, 2012

These are designations used in watchmaking to express the total radiation in millicuries emitted by all the tritium mounted to the dial. Therefore, a T-100 watch will have more or larger tubes than a T-25. The catch is that the T rating is the maximum, so a T-25 watch could only have enough tritium to emit 15 or 20 mCi but still carry the T-25 mark. Same with a T-100 watch, it may only have enough tritium to produce say 75 mCi which exceeds the T-25 rating but falls under the T-100 maximum.

So basically, all tritium tubes are the same brightness, the difference is in the size. Obviously more or larger tubes will appear brighter. Also technically speaking, all colors of tritium emit the same amount of light, but due to the different wavelengths some appear brighter than others to the human eye.

Just like batteries they could have been sitting around a while before being put inside the timepiece and lost some of their lifespan. Sorry to hear about that Scotty.

yeah RW...just like batteries tubes can sit for who knows how long in the warehouse... this is my 2nd night ops & ninja missions ( sleeping ) tool in 10 + years... no worries as now I have an opportunity for a tube safari... not in a rush...dim tubes still work they just " annoy " me

Back
Top Bottom