Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch Consumer Behavioral Shift From Celebrative To Status-Seeking Purchase Habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Consumer Behavioral Shift From Celebrative To Status-Seeking Purchase Habits

In the United States expressing overt signs of wealth “I made it” status through a watch can often be seen as impolite.

NOV 03, 2019 — BY ARIEL ADAMS

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/watch-consumer-behavioral-shift-from-celebrative-to-status-seeking-purchase-habits/

The notion of a consumer implicitly stating, “I have made it” through their fashion and accessories is actually the intersection between the more traditional celebratory reason for purchasing a wristwatch and the now-trending (though not new), “I have something new to say about my wealth and power” statement consumers on a different part of the spectrum are trying to communicate with their luxury purchases. “I have made it,” or, in other words,“I have arrived” is a statement about social mobility more than it is about personal success or satisfaction. It says, “I went from somewhere worse to somewhere better.” The intersection exists because “I have made it” purchases are a celebratory indulgence, but the resulting messaging value of the item is less about personal satisfaction and more about social proof to indicate one’s status in the membership of “people who have made it.”

Since the world is experiencing an economic recession and wealth isn’t growing as it may have in the past, what would account for luxury purchasing behavior? Evidence already suggests that when people have less money, they also tend to have less to celebrate (or at least less to celebrate with). If a consumer is not spending money on a luxury good to celebrate themselves, then they must, nevertheless, be purchasing it to send a message about themselves.

"Flesh could not keep its glamour, nor eyes their sheen. They would go to nothing soon. But monsters are forever"

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.
    As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide".
    Abraham Lincoln

THERSTON VEBLEN 1899 THEORY OF THE LEISURE CLASS CONSPICUOUS CONSUPTION

not new...peeps with dough like & need to show-

potato potato... means ARIEL ADAMS posits...are grails purchased as a token of celebration ? or to show a membership in a class or a wanna be class ?

-imho the only dispositive business model is to move to direct on-line to consumer marketing of grails...

- i don't have fears because my top grail is under 4 HUN...but with widening income inequality...i would be reluctant to display 10-50 hun on my saddle..jmho

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyB View Post
      THERSTON VEBLEN 1899 THEORY OF THE LEISURE CLASS CONSPICUOUS CONSUPTION

not new...peeps with dough like & need to show-

potato potato... means ARIEL ADAMS posits...are grails purchased as a token of celebration ? or to show a membership in a class or a wanna be class ?

-imho the only dispositive business model is to move to direct on-line to consumer marketing of grails...

- i don't have fears because my top grail is under 4 HUN...but with widening income inequality...i would be reluctant to display 10-50 hun on my saddle..jmho
      "Flesh could not keep its glamour, nor eyes their sheen. They would go to nothing soon. But monsters are forever"

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
      Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• ScottyB
        ScottyB commented
        Editing a comment
        doh

ScottyB commented
      Today, 04:52 PM

doh

Daylight Saving Time ends this Sunday,
      November 3rd at 2am Eastern.
      Don't forget to turn back your watches and clocks! Before setting your watch, here are some best practices to avoid damaging the movement!
      • Remove your watch before adjusting the time or date
      • Never change the date between 9pm and 3am
      • Set the watch forward, not backwards
      • Make sure to push in or screw down the crown completely

Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

Comment

Huh????
          Some men are morally opposed to violence. Fortunately for them, the men that protect them are not

Comment

Originally posted by sota0003 View Post
            Huh????

Consumer behaviour is the study of individuals, groups, or organizations and all the activities associated with the purchase, use and disposal of goods and services, including the consumer's emotional, mental and behavioural responses that precede or follow these activities. Consumer behaviour emerged in the 1940s and 50s as a distinct sub-discipline in the marketing area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_behaviour

Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X