Internet Sales Tax is Coming! What Does it Mean For You?

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
AN66SAwTJ5OHm2JdMXqEHGvLLDmnUhmEdksFHsMnbQ=s48-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

Internet Sales Tax is Coming! What Does it Mean For You?

Long Island Watch
Published on Oct 4, 2018

In June of 2018, there was a US Supreme Court decision that made the news, but quickly fizzled out as most people didn't really think it pertained to them. Well, it will!

Today I will explain to you what the South Dakota vs Wayfair decision means for your online shopping, including buying watches!

Saved. Will watch later.

Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.

States and the locals are always nickel and diming you on anything they can tax to pay for their issues and you get nothing in return. No write offs. This sucks!!!!

Welcome to my world seems like living in NY we always get hit with a sales tax.

I have to say that, as an occupational hazard, I knew of the Wayfair case when it was being argued and was disappointed when the Court diluted the nexus test (actual presence in a state unnecessary to state and feds taxing authority reach). So, before, no one on the internet had to charge tax, unless operating in the state of the customer. Then, when having any presence like a warehouse, you could be taxed by each state where you had a warehouse and headquarters, etc. Now, much less is required for a state to claim enough of a connection to tax the sale, etc. :nono:

States and the locals are always nickel and diming you on anything they can tax to pay for their issues and you get nothing in return. No write offs. This sucks!!!!

Really, c'mon Woody? What do you think pays for your schools, police and fire dept., trash, roads and a multitudes of other services... You pay sales taxes everyday don't you?

Really, c'mon Woody? What do you think pays for your schools, police and fire dept., trash, roads and a multitudes of other services... You pay sales taxes everyday don't you?

You're misunderstanding my point. Here in the NYC property taxes have risen 2% annually for the last 4yrs. Some neighborhoods suffer greatly and don't see where their taxes are going. I could go on a rant and express how politics effect some more than many. Quick example, the mayor of NYC his home to which is the same square ft as mine and is valued at more than twice as mine, pays less property tax than I do. As for the roads...well, I could go on and on. But as a former City employer who has worked EVERY Boro I've seen the disparity and hypocrisy. And there're many in This country who could attest to what I'm saying. And justice for ALL!

I think it's BS. I think the only tax that should be charged should be where that company is located. I don't think my **** state of Illinois should have one cent of revenue of a purchase that I make online from a retailer located in another state. If my state wants that tax, then perhaps they should woo more businesses to Illinois instead of increasing taxes and monetarily forcing businesses and residents to leave.

Don't get me started on this topic

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

I think it's BS. I think the only tax that should be charged should be where that company is located. I don't think my **** state of Illinois should have one cent of revenue of a purchase that I make online from a retailer located in another state. If my state wants that tax, then perhaps they should woo more businesses to Illinois instead of increasing taxes and monetarily forcing businesses and residents to leave.

Don't get me started on this topic

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

Touche' :cheers: Not to mention all of the subsidizing and tax breaks that municipalities give businesses for their business, and who pays for that!

You're misunderstanding my point. Here in the NYC property taxes have risen 2% annually for the last 4yrs. Some neighborhoods suffer greatly and don't see where their taxes are going. I could go on a rant and express how politics effect some more than many. Quick example, the mayor of NYC his home to which is the same square ft as mine and is valued at more than twice as mine, pays less property tax than I do. As for the roads...well, I could go on and on. But as a former City employer who has worked EVERY Boro I've seen the disparity and hypocrisy. And there're many in This country who could attest to what I'm saying. And justice for ALL!

I get it and hear what you are saying. But what I was trying to get across simply was no matter what state you live in taxes need to be paid to provide all of those services mentioned. In whatever state you live in that's the state that provides for you and should receive those needed taxes. If ones real estate taxes are too high or sales tax then that needs to be dealt with at the ballot box. We all should pay our FAIR share... although it really doesn't work out that way as we all know. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer...

And since politics are a big no-no on the forum I'll just leave it at that... :nope:

I get it and hear what you are saying. But what I was trying to get across simply was no matter what state you live in taxes need to be paid to provide all of those services mentioned. In whatever state you live in that's the state that provides for you and should receive those needed taxes. If ones real estate taxes are too high or sales tax then that needs to be dealt with at the ballot box. We all should pay our FAIR share... although it really doesn't work out that way as we all know. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer...

And since politics are a big no-no on the forum I'll just leave it at that... :nope:

We'll leave it at that.

Since Wayfair was mentioned it's company's such as that that help to put company's and businesses based in your state out of business. Do they deserve that benefit. If they have to play on a level playing field which means their price is subject to tax then their deals don't seem so special and people may shop locally instead. Which provides jobs in your state, which provides revenue in your state, which funds all the stuff in your state. Should businesses like Amazon and Wayfair just get what is basically an undeserved competitive edge. That is the real issue and why the case was decided the way it was. I don't have to like it, but I understand it.

eBay has started collecting sales and use tax on behalf of sellers for items shipped starting January 1, 2019.

From their help page on Taxes[ebay.com]

State | Effective Date
Minnesota | January 1, 2019
Washington | January 1, 2019
Iowa | February 1, 2019
Connecticut | April 1, 2019
New Jersey | May 1, 2019
Alabama | July 1, 2019
Oklahoma | July 1, 2019
Pennsylvania | July 1, 2019

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ann...p/28962962

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-begin-collect-internet-customers/2387450002/

Internet sales tax collection laws gradually taking effect

Joyce M. Rosenberg, Associated Press Published 6:00 a.m. ET Dec. 23, 2018

f14a2f83-3642-4a1a-8c79-a2bd7e0a5925-AP18351670628058.jpg

The laws are similar to the South Dakota statute. Most require remote sellers to collect sales tax after they reach a threshold of $100,000 in revenue or 200 transactions in a given state, either in the previous or current calendar year. Once a company reaches one of those milestones, under most of the laws it must begin collecting sales tax by the first day of the next calendar month, or, if that is less than 30 days later, the first day of the following month. For example, if a company reaches the threshold on May 8, it must start collecting tax by July 1.

Many small and independent online retailers are now investing in software and services to help them comply with more than 10,000 taxing jurisdictions across the country. The cost of compliance will vary from company to company and depend on how many transactions they have and what services they need from software providers, Peterson says. There are a number of companies that sell software, and pricing can range from free to thousands of dollars a year.

The software and services track sales tax rates and the merchandise and services that are taxed in each jurisdiction. They're designed to interface with most e-commerce systems that online retailers use. Some of the services will submit sales tax payments to state authorities and prepare required filings and documents.

Some businesses want Congress to pass legislation that would set uniform standards for sales tax collection. However, bills that would have accomplished that have tended to pass one house and then stall in the other.

Back
Top Bottom