Renting Luxury Watches

Ah, that's because you need to rethink what brands of watches you're buying. My Casios impress all the hot babes out there when I'm out on the town! :lol:

tenor.gif

Ahaha, one of my FAVORITE scenes from that GREAT movie. Honestly love that whole film, lol. The Piaget Steve Martin was wearing was pretty sweet. Considering I've seen them, used of course, for quite a few grand, I guess that would more than help cover a cheap hotel for a night.

Reminds me also of a debate on another forum from someone denigrating "cheap" brands, claiming he only owned "elite" watches, lol, while listing some very inexpensive Casios in his signature. I posted this exact gif ahahaha.

Can't think of any situation that this would work for me. I'm that guy that goes out an buys bowling shoes instead of renting, even though I only bowl 3-4 times a year!

Haha, I hear you on that. Speaking of films starring John Candy, I think it was in Uncle Buck that bowling was described as "rent-a-foot-disease." :no:

What's really weird is I'm totally fine buying a used car (diligently inspected, of course), especially given that most new models haven't thrilled me for quite a while. So, long hours logged in someone else's car, cool. Wearing a shared watch...not.

This has also kept me from ever buying a used watch, which is probably unfortunate considering the wonderful watches on the used market.

I think there was a company called Eleven James that tried this, and lasted a few years at it, but eventually folded. Seems it was not a profitable venture. Some critics cited the notion that investing in a fine watch on a temporary basis kind of defeats the attraction of owning one, given that they are sold often as a watch to last a lifetime, rather than for a night on the town.

And, again, if monthly fees are steep, which they appear to be, then it would seem customers who can't afford such watches likely would rather put watch dollars toward affordables, entry to mid level luxury, or just paying the bills, and those who can burn a few grand a month in disposable income might be more likely to just buy something, than rent it.

Guess time will tell if this place finds a footing.

2manywatches, I only buy used luxury cars these days. My last two Jaguars were used both were almost trouble free. Wheel Bearing and Alternator on my White XJ8L, Just the alternator on my red Vaden Plas, $385.00 to replace no more than a Taurus alternator replacement. I have had the red Jaguar for 6 years now paid $7k for it the original price was $75K still looks mint rides like a dream and has over 300hp had the chip flashed. Jaguars have been the least expensive high end cars I have ever owned and they are reliable. None of the 3 I owned never let me down but my 1st was a lease. My next car will be a used Aston Martin coupe or Jaguar XK coupe. Bald men should never buy a convertible! LOL I would NEVER buy a used rent a car, when I was young I worked for Avis I know how those cars are abused buying a rent a watch I would be very skeptical it could be all original, wouldn't surprise me to find a Seiko movement in place of the in house movement. :nono:As far as pre owned watches if I decide to ever drop my self imposed limit, I will only look at pre owned as well.

2manywatches, I only buy used luxury cars these days. My last two Jaguars were used both were almost trouble free. Wheel Bearing and Alternator on my White XJ8L, Just the alternator on my red Vaden Plas, $385.00 to replace no more than a Taurus alternator replacement. I have had the red Jaguar for 6 years now paid $7k for it the original price was $75K still looks mint rides like a dream and has over 300hp had the chip flashed. Jaguars have been the least expensive high end cars I have ever owned and they are reliable. None of the 3 I owned never let me down but my 1st was a lease. My next car will be a used Aston Martin coupe or Jaguar XK coupe. Bald men should never buy a convertible! LOL I would NEVER buy a used rent a car, when I was young I worked for Avis I know how those cars are abused buying a rent a watch I would be very skeptical it could be all original, wouldn't surprise me to find a Seiko movement in place of the in house movement. :nono:As far as pre owned watches if I decide to ever drop my self imposed limit, I will only look at pre owned as well.

Yup, it's a weird brain fart thing with me, given that I know there are such nice used watches on the market, even in near mint or mint condition, available at substantial savings. I guess I also kind of have a thing about making the purchase of a new watch, as some bizarre sense of achievement, which, again, is stupid because I am totally willing to "cheat" and pay gray market, haha, so, why not used market?!

I guess too I like the story of my own watch, in terms of scratches or dings or whatever, since a watch seems so personal. But, again, my own view, on my own watches, being projected and not accurate. Many sellers get one, flip it, and barely wear it, so the viewpoint fault is my own.

I'd buy a used watch before I'd rent one, however. Just seems problematic, a short lived relationship with a grail watch that's not mine. I'd rather have my sub-grail/near-grail pieces that are absolutely my own. Plus, not a lot of mid-high luxury watches appeal to me. Perhaps I'm just too much of a peasant, haha.

I mean, getting up and past the hundred thousand to quarter million and higher mark, yes, a LOT of stuff I drool over, but, just in the tens of thousands market, I actually prefer stuff that's far less pricey, since I just don't relate to the "selling points" of those mid-high priced options and, to some degree, it gets to be that point of diminishing return, personally, where I just can't appreciate paying that much for what I'm getting.

From that standpoint, the mid-higher end (but not crazy elite) rentals aren't that appealing, especially shelling out a thousand a month, or more, to wear one, only to have to send it back. Not sure what membership level gives access to million dollar watches, haha, but I'm sure it would be more practical to put that toward a new watch of my own.

And, yup, I really advocate for used cars. As I say, I don't relate much to newer cars. Can barely find a manual, and there are so many driving nannies now, interfering with the experience. I drive my car, and don't need or want to be driven. May as well take the bus. Plus, older cars are so well made now that spending dramatically less for a car with a full life ahead of it just fits with my value-for-spending mentality.

Jags are thoroughly beautiful and, yes, great example you have of spending less to get more, MUCH more, on the used market. A buddy of mine has a used Maserati, that, again, hasn't been pricey to own and it's a barrel of fun for a "used" car.

My Bimmer is a decade old now, bought it used some years ago now, but running like a champ, still, and has been super affordable to own and ridiculously reliable, even with my upgrades (full bolt ons and a custom tune putting out a hundred horsepower over stock). Goes like a stabbed rat, but equally wonderful to drive a few thousand miles on a road trip. Of course, like watches, I do my homework, to find what promises to be the best buy.

I'm considering trading, or just getting another car, next year. For not too much cost, I could get this one to be over 500 hp, which sounds fun, as another option, but the rumble of American muscle is somewhat enticing, as it seems manufacturing has improved, and it's a lot of horsepower for dollars. But, the Bimmer has spoiled me a bit, and not sure if I could be happy in an American car's interior, even if it is pushing big, beasty numbers.

Modding my own cars over the years, I've learned the cost ratio, and it always costs less to start with a bigger platform, obviously, than trying to turn a grocery cart into a rocket, haha. This Bimmer continues to be hilariously fun to drive (the little 135i with the twin turbo straight six), but the lure of a massive displacement V8 is intriguing to consider, given the high numbers at which they start, and the short journey to even bigger performance. Of course, it has to take corners as well, lol. No joy ending up in a ditch somewhere.

But, I'll see what the new year brings.

Oh, the things that make life fun! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom