Longines HydroConquest 44m VS Oris Aquis Big Day Date?

smart 2MANY...i was always too impulsive pulling that trigger like BILLY THE KID... but a patient plan with show rooming AD saddle try-outs sounds smart...good hunting

Ha, I can relate. My impulsivity has led to many, many....too many! So, i'ts good for me to slow down for a change and have some careful thoughts about it. Shelling out for a bit more cost does slow me down a little. I really think the Oris is the one, but hopefully this one place has at least an Aquis variant in stock, to have a look. I might delay the idea for a while, to try and get a look at an HC as well. I know some folks make use of liberal return policies to see a watch "in the metal" and I might even try that. Wouldn't take me more than opening the box to see either one, to know if it's "the" one. In the meantime, there's a Seiko I'm looking at, ahahaha.....I'm truly hopeless.

Thanks everybody for the thoughts! I'm going to try and get a look at each one, some how, some way. Might even wind up ordering from places that allow returns if the watch is not disturbed beyond just having a look at it. Might pick up a Seiko in the meantime....

Really appreciate everyone's feedback!

Yup I'm definitely a lume fan, so it was disappointing to know that the HC is weak in that department. I mean, in all honesty, I have Tritium lumed watches for any real need to tell time in the dark, since any lume will fade in time, but it doesn't see a good sign that they cut corners on that, especially marketing it as a dive watch. And, I do like the simplicity of the Oris bezel and dial. Plenty to think about. Just irks me to spend quite a bit more, while passing up that 64h PR L888 movement in the HC.

So, a bit of a drive, but I found the only place within a lot of miles that carries Oris, and they also carry Longines, so that was handy. Not super knowledgeable staff, and tried to convince me there wasn't a Big Day Date in the Aquis line, haha.....

Then they couldn't find it in their catalog either, so were insisting it must be a really old model. I assisted with my phone, to show them photos, to assure them I hadn't dreamed it up, lol, but obviously no luck seeing that one, in the metal. They did have a few Aquis Dates though and I was able to handle them at least, which was helpful.

They had the newer HC, which is 43mm now instead of 44mm, so no chance to actually see that 44mm model either, but, again, being able to handle the current HC and look at some other Longines did give me a sense of the brand.

Kind of funny -- as I was leaving, they asked if I wanted an Oris catalog to peruse, in consideration of models they DO carry, which was very nice of them, and it's a lot of lovely Oris eye candy....which, I noted as I flipped through it, back in the car, also includes the Big Day Date I'd asked about, and there it is in their current catalog (2018/2019).

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

osqxytl.jpg

Ve7PkuM.jpg

So, again, while I’ve often been told that an AD experience is so stunning, it remains my own experience that paying AD prices (nearly twice as much, in the case of the Oris models), isn’t missing out on much, for me. Nice enough folks, don’t get me wrong, but I can serve myself coffee and open my own watch box on a leather padded watch tray, even wearing some white gloves if I want, when it arrives from an online vendor, and do so at a much more appealing price.

:dance::dance::dance:

In terms of brand thoughts, having now seen both brands, neither really jumped out at me, unfortunately, so I’m glad for the trip, from that perspective. I think it’s a combination of things: my own hyped expectations, just being their more entry level models I was seeing, and the usual issue of being a bit spoiled with affordables – which leaves me perplexed at even entry level higher pricing sometimes. I mean, the Oris watches are nice, very nice, but didn’t strike me as that much far superior to be priced in the many thousands. Not to detract from their heritage and expertise, at all, and I’d be happy with a roomful of them, haha, but I guess I just started my journey in one arena, and it’s had its influences on me. So, for now, back on the wishlist for maybe a someday addition.

I tend to get stuck sometimes on merely what I’m getting for the money, in terms of specs, I suppose, and neither brand knocked my socks off from that standpoint, versus what else is in the marketplace.

I was slightly more impressed with the Oris, than the Longines, however, and I can see why Oris fan-folks are so pleased. Some very beautiful watches, especially in their upper range and special edition line-ups. I think it almost seems the kind of brand I’d rather pay more for, than go for one of their “starter” pieces. Maybe go for the Oris Aquis Chronograph, for example, but, then again, I already have a 500m Swiss Chrono Diver in my Edox, and a 600m one, for that matter, from Chris Ward, so I don’t know where adding an Oris kind of fits into things.

I am a fan of their sizing, and it’s great to find a pedigreed brand that offers models in the larger case builds, but, to pay in the thousands, I guess I become more aware of why I’m adding it, other than, with super affordable buys, I rarely think twice beyond, “Oh, wow, I like that!”

I did quite like a few of their models that came in a full kit with extra straps, etc, but, of course, if going up-range with Oris it’s not too far of a journey to stave off impulse and aim for an Omega, where I do feel the added “brand” price tag feels more worth it. I kind of have a lot of entry level Swiss stuff already, in considering my watches. Maybe time to bite some bigger bullets, haha.

In looking a bit more at Oris offerings, one I do like a lot is this model:

dkN442O.jpg

Gives kind of a different diver feel, and, in terms of the Aquis design I was considering, my Tissot Seastar already gives me a black ceramic on blue dial, with 80h PR no less, although it’s on rubber and not a bracelet. But, even looking at that Oris, I then consider a model I like even more, along those lines, from Raymond Weil:

bj9ro8B.jpg

I love the Freelancer Diver I already have, but it leans more toward being dressy, the black dial on a “jubilee” style bracelet, so a more sporty iteration of that, in the black and orange mode there, is appealing, and they are floating around now for as little as $650, which is even more appealing, given the same basic specs as an Aquis Date.

And, it would leave some funds left over, haha, because, seeing the beautiful green Oris Aquis date at the AD reminded me that I still have been considering this Seiko:

4vOfQ3Q.jpg

I really don’t have a bold green dive watch, and my medium range Seiko buys have been extremely pleasing and that 2019 model gives a 70h PR.

So, enough of my rambling. Thanks for being a place to think out loud. The search goes on, but my current state of mind, once I learned more about this nutty hobby, has been to slowly kind of upgrade my early buys, which has kept my eyes open to the more established brands, when not just rampaging on buys that catch my eye and are sweetly priced.

Being in the AD today, surrounded by “lux” watches, one whacky thought I had was wondering why there aren’t more “fun” styles like Invicta, in the “better” brands. Continues to make me happy with the ‘Victers I do have, since the nice (and pricey!) stuff can be a bit boring sometimes to my small brain, even though, from the perspective of high end watchmaking, I do get the obvious allure (and, to some degree, the price justification) of the difference.

Just makes it again so great that this group here appreciates all comers.

Anyway, at this point I think I will pass on those considerations for the Oris and HC. I could pick up the RW and Seiko for the same relative cost as the Oris, and that would expand me into a “nice” sporty Swiss design, and a “nice” green diver. I’ve still got a bit of time to think about it, waiting on some incoming funds that I’ve decided to earmark for some watch fun, so we shall see what we shall see, as the saying goes.

Thanks everyone, you great bunch of watch people!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Yup, the good stuff is rarely on the easily afforded list, but I suppose that's what helps create the elite factor, beyond the facts of superior quality or anything resembling production point costs. I wonder how that evolved, to where watch pricing outpaced comparable performance? Would make for an interesting insight into watch history. Not that top end prices aren't the realm of top end stuff, but I've always been curious about how watch prices got to their exponential levels where, really, a thing is not ten times better, while being twenty times more costly, haha. I guess it's a slow rise, much like CEO paychecks, a thousand percent growth since the late 1970's, but one might argue that companies are not being run a thousand times better for it.

well sorry that my input is a little late to your party here.

But what I do think your shopping experience has shown is how important brick and mortar stores are. I cherish the ability to touch, feel, examine and in my case scrutinize all the little details of a time piece. Hence I prefer to shop in person, when possible. PLus then there's the fun of haggling!

anyway. of the two watches in question (though it seems you won't get either, at least right now) I'd go for the Oris. I own an Aquis and I think overall Oris punches above its price grade. The case finishing may not be quite as good as my Breitling but its nearly as good and the Breitling is twice the price. I too often think about what kind of specs I'm getting for the money but big brands just don't play in the same market segment as micros and online only purveyors.

anyway on the two watches. Design is a person taste issue, I prefer the Aquis there by a lot. But from a fit and finish perspective the Aquis wins hands down. Esp when talking about the bracelet. Oris bracelets are comparable to those on watches often 2, 3, 4 times their price point. The longines on the other hand I find flimsy feeling (the bracelet I mean) by comparison. Not bad mind you, just not an Aquis bracelet. The crown guards are replaceable on an Aquis in case of damage. I have no issues with Selitta movements, lets remember they used to make movements for ETA.

anyway that's my 2 cents. Sounds like you're going to wait to grab an Omega. Best of luck! They are awesome! Hope you get there real soon!

I like the look of both models but since I don't own either and an Oris is on my list (the Hulk execution) I will cast my vote in that direction. The Oris just looks more refined to me. I understand both to be great TIMEpieces. Good luck in you decision

sweet to go to the AD and remain horo celibate...as we have posted...rare to find them sales peeps with the horo knowledge that us freak addicts...i mean " hobbyists, collectors " have... they will say or be any body to make the sale...

i would lean to the donut....but because they are in the tiny few brands ( 3or come to mind imho )with strong pricing power i would show patience of a croc waiting for bambi at the water line...

-after reading that they did not use gr8 paint on the LHC...the air deflated in my wood...

and musing...u may be enjoying that jacked ratio of the donut ...less than 2/1 gives a wide bracelet and jane mansfield DDD support...

that hulk seiko... kinda lights a fire...patience grasshopper... though so far u r acting much more adult than me... ScottyB a history of pulling th trigger like a lunatic fresh from the asylum...mostly buying the same thing...over and over and over...hhhmmmm...i think acquisitiveness is an evolutionary survival trait ( think squirrel with acorn surplus hops the babe gets progeny )... so be mindful and enjoy your flight on the magic horo carpet...like BUND said...felt like i was in the AD and u paid the gas and it cost me nothing...LOL

No worries and thank you for your most excellent thoughts! Having bought the overwhelming number of my watches, online, I guess I'm a bit used to the idea of hoping it's good when it gets here, haha, but I agree, that the ability to see in person is a great opportunity. Having been baptized into this insanity during the high flying ShopNBC years, I know the difference that even a video presentation can make, and I'm so thankful for the watch folks who populate YT with reviews and such.

When I started with Invicta, before knowing anything about watches, those crafty presentations were pretty effective for someone (me!) easily distracted by shiny objects, and, I never experienced any disappointments in quality control, so thus the addiction was born. I've always marveled that no one else caught on to the effectiveness of video marketing and, while I know there is that sense of old stuffiness about not "stooping" to shucking watches on TV, haha, the times do change, and the Swiss watch industry has been criticized (I think, to some degree, rightly so) for still assuming it's the same brick and mortar world as (somewhat) long ago. Seems adding a "virtual" AD experience of some kind would be helpful, idk.

But, yes, three cheers for stores and I have never liked that some companies view it as a choice, to be there physically, or to just be online, but I know there are complex financial choices, of course. But, for example, our local office store chain, trying to "build online presence" started downsizing stores and carrying far less physical inventory, which actually hurt sales, and made no sense.

Even with Invicta, when I first caught the bug, a few years shy of a few decades ago now, they had heavy presence in stores, and even in shiny kiosks, and that helped to drive my buying, having a chance to see them and buy them outright, but, I guess these days, since a lot of folks may just look, then go online to buy it for far less from someone else, the whole selling game does have its challenges.

Graduating up to higher priced watches, it certainly changed my view from, "oh well, even if I don't like it, I didn't spend much" to, "geez, which I could see this before buying it." And, in more than a few cases, stepping up even to just beyond $500 bucks, but nowhere near "expensive" watch territory, I had disappointments. I mean, solid specs, but getting a watch that didn't thrill me as much, in person, as what it had looked like online. The live and learn aspect was educational though.

I remember reading on another forum, a big debate about using return policies for "window shopping" to check out watches. Generated some interesting debate. I've never returned a watch just for not entirely loving it, which is likely dumb on my part.

Of course, in the last decade, watch reviewer culture has grown immensely, so now, as I say, I can usually find some kind of YouTube review, even if it's in a language I don't speak and is just a short overview. I remain perplexed that more brands don't upgrade their websites with more or better pics at least. Some brands still just give a single face shot, and sometimes don't even list pertinent details about the movement or whatever.

In terms of the two watches, I totally agree, and would lean Oris, for sure, if wanting or willing to spend that much, and the HC bracelet was also cheap feeling to me, in comparison. The Oris quality was apparent, indeed, but, as I say, when I can pick something up that is just as good for half the cost, it seems an odd territory for me.

I kind of am willing to flirt with a grand or so, but when a company wants $2400 or something for a watch that doesn't amaze me more than a $750 - $1200 piece, I'm hard pressed to justify it. At that point, I'd almost rather save for a more grail-esque (at least in my mind) item. While it took me a long time to realize I could have some nice thousand dollar range watches, by not impulsively buying four $250 ones every other month, it has seemed more readily understood to me that not buying a number of two grand pieces is helping open the door to something for four to seven grand (although, since coming here, I have gone back on some affordable sprees, lol, and loved every minute of it!). Above that range, there's no element of horology that tempts me enough to convince myself that I'm making a sane purchase, ahahaha, just based on my personal economy.

I know any level of justification gets ridiculous at some point, but....watches! And, my own Breitling purchase was a good example, knowing I wasn't getting a watch ten times better for ten times the price, but nonetheless certainly getting a watch at least three to five times better than what I was used to in affordables, plus the brand allure had its own appeal, for me, and there is a degree of buying into the advertising, and having love for the heritage and intangibles of higher end watchery. The appreciation of the cost can even be part of that, depending on one's mindset.

I remember reviewing the Breitling on another forum, and stating that the fact it was built in rarefied air that, like a medical lab, is highly filtered, changed every six hours, and controlled for humidity and temperature, yes, to me that level of commitment was evidenced in the purchase. And, for that one, although my local AD's were of no help (and again confirmed my frustration with lack of quality in the brick and mortar AD experience), I did go with an online AD, and it was worth the time and care he took, for a model not easy to find, that the jeweler wound up getting direct from Breitling in Switzerland, to fill my order.

I wanted the in-store AD experience on that one, was frustrated not to get it, in person, but was glad for finding a top notch seller online. It felt good to "buy it the right way" so to speak, even though in a virtual sense. And, Breitling, weeks later, even sent me a nice hat with a welcome to the Breitling family, so that was cool.

It is maybe a dying sales model, the old school brick and mortar, white glove experience, but it is great when it works. Reminds me of the scene in that Al Pacino film, Scent of a Woman, where he talks the Ferrari salesman into the test drive of the car, and they have that chat about being a "gray ghost." It's rare but wonderful to meet a sales person of that ilk, who really knows their stuff.

There's an Omega (Swatch Group) boutique not far from me, they have a doorman, the whole works, serve up Swiss chocolates and all that. Would be tempted to buy an Omega there, if not for the fact that I could buy it so much sooner, gray market. True story, I went there to see about a battery for one of my Certinas, and the young sales guy there (not a skilled gray ghost, unfortunately) told me Certina wasn't even a Swatch brand, lol. That was turned around in a funny way though...

Reminded me of another movie scene, this time from "Contact" where Jodie Foster's character is trying to make a pitch for funding, but is turned down, and then the phone rings, and turns out the wealthy company owner was watching her pitch, and tells the guys who turned her down to go ahead and approve the funding. In my case, as I turned to leave, the phone range and someone in back, who knows their Swatch stuff, informed the young salesman to ask me for the watch, and apologize for not recognizing the brand. They swapped in a new battery for free, while I munched on Swiss chocolates and admired the Omega scenery.

But, yes, with the Breitling, I guess my final view was that it was "worth it" to me, even knowing that, at the end of the day, it's just a reliable automatic with 200m WR and great lume, which, on the face of specs alone, doesn't outshine far more affordable options. I'm not a big enough Oris fan to feel that with an Aquis, I don't think, unless my spending level was reset for "fun" watches in that price range. But, yes, I'd pick the Oris, between the two, I now know.

Wow, ridiculously long of me! Apologies, all....

Yup, thank you, I agree too with the lean toward Oris. For now, I think I'll soothe myself with the green Sumo that came out from Seiko, but, Oris does make some really beautiful watches and I get the love for them. Just a bit out of my justification price range, but Oris will remain on my radar for a brand I'd be happy to own at some point.

Ahahaha, horo celibate, nice! But, based on pulling the trigger on a different buy, this morning, it seems I was infected anyway...

Yes, I had a feeling right from the outset of meeting the salespeople that they weren't "watch folks," so to say, and my brain has filled up with watch info as the years have gone by. Funny, the salesman said he knew of one "fanatic" who had "like fifty watches or something" ahahaha, so I kept my mouth shut, as he likely would have keeled over if I told him I have over three times that many.

Nice enough people, as I said, but I can see how a skilled person behind the counter could move more merchandise. In fact, I likely could have been talked into a buy, based on the mood I was in, haha, if there'd been someone keen on watches helping me.

Yup, Oris has some great brand history behind it. If I get to the point where a watch of that price is just "fun" to add to my collection, I will definitely pick up one. But, where I'm at now, that's a purchase that takes some deliberation and it just doesn't speak to me enough to shell out that level of expense, based on what else I can get for much less, or what I could get for not a huge ton more.

I did love the Oris lume -- just tucking it behind my jacket, in the store, showed the beautiful blue glow. Thankfully the sales dude didn't think I was trying to pocket it, ahahaha.

When I remarked on the lume, he then pointed out to me, "I think they call that stuff Superluming or something." I said, "Yes, Superluminova, I think it is, of which there are many kinds." I showed him the glow on my Breitling and he said, "Oh, that's something different then, because it's green." Ahahahaha!

Patience....yes.....I'm like a grasshopper with a fire under its butt though, ahahaha, I pulled the trigger on another Seiko I wanted, while waiting for this other notion to pan out, on the possible Hulk/RW combo idea. So much for my AD celibacy ahahaha.

I like your view of acquisition as a survival trait! Well said! I'll go with that perspective, and celebrate my evolution LOL!

yeah a strong trademark...but they all went in the dust bin in the 70's and had to wait a long time to be revived...

my latest MARATAC ti field watch 39.mm has X1 groovey paint and brighter than C3...but lets face it all paint fades fast and I use tubes for my night ops and ninja missions ( sleeping and taking out garbage once in a while...and plenty of whizzes in the wee small hours )

-enjoy the journey sounds like u got plenty going on LOL !

Think I'm late to the party but what the heck. I've owned five or six Oris and a couple of Longines, including the one you are looking at and Oris wins out for me. Like Darkoverlord mentioned the bracelet, specifically the clasp on the Longines felt cheap and if you care about lume - it is virtually not there on the Longines.

yeah a strong trademark...but they all went in the dust bin in the 70's and had to wait a long time to be revived...

my latest MARATAC ti field watch 39.mm has X1 groovey paint and brighter than C3...but lets face it all paint fades fast and I use tubes for my night ops and ninja missions ( sleeping and taking out garbage once in a while...and plenty of whizzes in the wee small hours )

-enjoy the journey sounds like u got plenty going on LOL !

SB going King Size @ 39mm. LOL :D

Think I'm late to the party but what the heck. I've owned five or six Oris and a couple of Longines, including the one you are looking at and Oris wins out for me. Like Darkoverlord mentioned the bracelet, specifically the clasp on the Longines felt cheap and if you care about lume - it is virtually not there on the Longines.

poor lume on a diver is a hurdle too high imho...expecially at 10 HUN +

SB going King Size @ 39mm. LOL :D

yeah BUND proud of my " size " or lack of... definitely hunting sub 40mm these days...interesting watching case size evolution or devolution over the last 10 years...what comes to mind as analogous is hem lines go up and down to reflect the times...

-honestly in these times I am just not looking for attention of the wrist...of course i enjoy quality-build-specs-X1-arabics-light my fire...but as I have posted it is a quiet personal pleasure and the last thing I want is a stranger commenting on my wrist...being chatted up...and quickly finding out political divisions or other stuff which divides USA to a degree unseen since the civil war-imho

Back
Top Bottom