Crystal haze pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

rog1

Tyme Master Jr.
Founding Member
I was cleaning a crystal and I took some pictures of the film on the underside before I cleaned it. Some have asked what does the film look like. With the movement removed and using a bright light , the film becomes visible. I cleaned a small area of the crystal by touching some scotch tape to it so you can see the contrast between a clean crystal and what the film looks like. I'm not a great photographer but I hope you can see the difference. Enjoy
smiley.png

21460161423_b9b5ee5748_z.jpg

22091308391_8ac39e4b5d_z.jpg

22068815682_6b665772a1_z.jpg

21460162243_9367292337_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Crystal haze pictures

I know I have numerous watches with this problem I wish I had your skills to remedy this. Great job

Crystal haze pictures

[quote source=/post/267723/thread timestamp=)444527254 author=@dannyswatch]I know I have numerous watches with this problem I wish I had your skills to remedy this. Great job[/quote]Nothing to it

Crystal haze pictures

Thanks for posting this Roger. This is something nobody really talks about. Its why we change our own batteries..because the Invicta crystal needs cleaning while its open , Huh ;)

Crystal haze pictures

[quote source=/post/26773)/thread timestamp=)444528867 author=@ace]Thanks for posting this Roger. This is something nobody really talks about. Its why we change our own batteries..because the Invicta crystal needs cleaning while its open , Huh ;)[/quote][br]Yup, I actually opened the Nitro up to change the battery. I knew it had a filmy crystal so I waited for the battery to die to do the job.[br][br][br]The possible causes of crystal film....[br][br])) plastic outgassing is most probable cause (plastic mov't holders and dial chapter rings)[br][br]2) lubricants[br][br]3) the composite fused crystals themselves cause the issue (FF , kryst. etc.)[br][br][br]

Crystal haze pictures

RW is right Danny......sometimes you can't work in the kitchen without breaking some eggs...in other words , you occasionally screw up. Practice makes ...well almost perfect.[br]

Crystal haze pictures

[quote source=/post/267733/thread timestamp=)444529)76 author=@rog)][quote source=/post/26773)/thread timestamp=)444528867 author=@ace]Thanks for posting this Roger. This is something nobody really talks about. Its why we change our own batteries..because the Invicta crystal needs cleaning while its open , Huh ;)[/quote]Yup, I actually opened the Nitro up to change the battery. I knew it had a filmy crystal so I waited for the battery to die to do the job.[br][br][br]The possible causes of crystal film....[br][br])) plastic outgassing is most probable cause (plastic mov't holders and dial chapter rings)[br][br]2) lubricants[br][br]3) the composite fused crystals themselves cause the issue (FF , kryst. etc.)[br][br][br][/quote]Waiting for the battery to die.Is that paint chip still peeling ? I'm waiting for Christmas. Road Warrior tearing up his watches. Posting on here and its a Sat night....See where I'm going with this ??[attachment id=6))) thumbnail=)]

Crystal haze pictures

[br][quote author=@rog) source=/post/267738/thread timestamp=)44452954)]RW is right Danny......sometimes you can't work in the kitchen without breaking some eggs...in other words , you occasionally screw up. Practice makes ...well almost perfect.[br][/quote][br]In my case though it would more than occasional I would have a junkyard of ruined watches:( but I do have one in mind that if I ruined it I wouldn't care so much

Crystal haze pictures

[font face=georgia][font size=4][font color=)f3865]Thanks for posting up the photos, Roger. An irritating problem, at the least. ;)[/font][/font][/font]

Crystal haze pictures

Interesting shots. Thanks for posting. It's just a matter of time for me. I need to do this.

Crystal haze pictures

[font size=4] thanks alot, Rog (said sarcastically) .....NOW I can see many of my watches now look like crap! [/font]

Crystal haze pictures

This is how you can check your watches to see if they have a filmy crystal inside the case.......[br][br]In bright sunshine (cloudless), hold your watch at several different angles (including crystal perpendicular) towards the Sun. If you see a series of filmy concentric rings or curves or circles on the underside of the crystal , you have the dreaded crystal fog.[br][br] The plastic outgassing fog is very easy to see with the watch movement removed from the case without the need for the Sun. The bright lamp was used so the camera could see the film.[br][br]Filmy outgassed crystals have soured me towards the watch collecting hobby.[br][br][br]

Crystal haze pictures

This happens with my Ocean Ghosts. I wish I had your talent Roger. Thanks for posting[br]

Crystal haze pictures

I don't know if I am brave enough to attempt this task just yet. Kudos to you though on doing this. Good job.

Crystal haze pictures

No wonder I can't see my foggy crystals!!![br]Great job Roger on framing this problem.

Crystal haze pictures

This is probably my biggest pet peeve. It's not just and issue with Invicta either, I have several Swiss Legends and Bulovas with a cloudy crystal.[br][br]I'm too scared to try and clean the crystal myself...

This is probably my biggest pet peeve. It's not just and issue with Invicta either, I have several Swiss Legends and Bulovas with a cloudy crystal.[br][br]I'm too scared to try and clean the crystal myself...

what he said :)

Good photos of the problem, Roger.:good::cool2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom