Bracelet: 316L Stainless Steel
Bracelet Width: 24mm non-taper
Clasp: Push Button Deployant w/ Micro Adjustable Ratcheting Mechanism
Weight: 300 grams unsized
Accessories: Leather and Zulu straps with Tools
Current Price: $500

15564235638_06cfe07433_c.jpg

Intro:

Strider is a new start up Watch Company by Jim Skelton, partnered by Wing Liang of Android. Jim has been around the watch scene for sometime now and no doubt has a passion for horology and knowledge of the industry. The Hyperdive is their first production. There is a total of 500 pieces made, 250 SS black dial, 175 IP black with black dial and 75 SS gray dial. I acquired the SS black dial through a special promotion from Android and wanted to share my thoughts on this piece.

15564931530_1699d43056_c.jpg
15744145895_a59cc070d8_c.jpg

15749722425_77bf845935_c.jpg

Presentation

The packaging for the Strider Hyperdive is quite impressive. The watch arrives in a well-built leather style case. Inside the case the watch is displayed in a slot on the left side. Two individual compartments house the included leather strap, zulu strap and all the tools needed to size and make strap changes easily.

15559232990_417640d5e4_c.jpg

Case and Bezel

The Hyperdive has a 46mm case that is 52mm lug to lug, with a 24mm lug width finished in a brushed stainless steel. It has a 7mm logo signed screw down crown, protected by pyramid shaped and angled crown guards.

15742131261_07bff4c29d_c.jpg

The bezel is black pvd plated stainless steel with white markers utilizing both C3 (green) and BGW9 (blue) Superluminova. One of the unique things I found in the bezel is the saw tooth design in the edge rather than the common scalloped or coin edge bezel you normally see. The saw tooth design does provide for easy gripping and turning of the 120 click unidirectional bezel. The bezel turns smoothly through all clicks and has no reverse play. I believe the saw tooth design is influenced by Jim’s passion for knives, which you see in other areas of the watch design as well.

15124739733_02f2f67da8_c.jpg

15124104364_a843504eae_c.jpg

15744084905_6163ee98a0_c.jpg

15745614222_68b98624df_c.jpg

15130320263_56d96f929c_c.jpg

Crystal and Dial

The Hyperdive is equipped with a sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating. If you opt for the exhibition case back at an additional $50, that is also a sapphire crystal.

The dial is another place you will see the knife influence in the design. The minute hand is not any traditional shaped hand you would normally see, but takes on the shape of a knife blade, while the hour hand maintains the traditional fencepost design. In some photos I have seen the hands of the watch seem to show a blade edge, but that is not the case in the watch I have. The second hand is a silver finish with a red triangle just above the tip, which has excellent visibility against the black dial background, but does not have any lume application.

The dial is a pebble texture black sandwich dial with the Strider logo just below the 12’oclock position and a date indicator at the 3’oclock position. The date wheel is white with black numbers, which goes well with the dial design. All the dial markings are displayed in white, but use a combination of the C3 (green) and BGW9 (blue) Superluminova to give a great contrast and combination of color in the lume. The hour markers are not any traditional shape and different than any other dial markers I have seen. While different I do think they fit the design of the watch and compliment it well. One thing the dial is missing is the indication of second/minute markers, which makes exact timing a guestimate at best, but overall fits with the clean bold dial design.

15558722178_887f6d1283_c.jpg

15559280800_420450928a_c.jpg

15726052336_375a4e39b5_c.jpg

Movement and Case Back

The Miyota 9015 24 jewel automatic movement powers the Hyperdive. It provides a smooth sweeping secondhand across the dial at 28,800 vibrations per hour and a date indicator at the 3’oclock position. While the parts are manufactured overseas, the watches are completely assembled in the USA and each regulated and tested to run +/- 5 seconds per day. While I don’t have a Timeographer yet, I did sync mine with my cell provider and after 7 days it is running about 6 seconds fast, well within the claimed +/-5 seconds per day.

The case back is stainless steel etched with the Strider logo, model information and #/250 of the watch. The case back is not decorated but rather a plain standard case back. There is an option for an exhibition case back for an extra $50. Each watch is assembled, cased and tested for 500mm of water resistance in Florida, USA.

15564301858_bd94831970_c.jpg

Bracelet and Strap

The Hyperdive comes on a 5-link stainless steel bracelet. The bracelet is among the easiest to size and swap out with the included tools to the leather or Zulu strap. This is thanks to machined hex screws that only screw in one way. No need for 2 screwdrivers and all the tools needed are included in the package. The bracelet is substantial and would easily fit up to a 9-inch wrist. The clasp is a push-button locking deployant clasp with a ratcheting micro adjustable extension. This is great for getting the perfect fit and easy minor adjustments if needed throughout the day.

15559300520_9dbbb8d45f_c.jpg

15749740095_e3eb18702d_c.jpg

15558223159_08bffdce49_c.jpg

The included leather strap is black with pebble grain and white contrast stitching that matches perfectly with the color design of the watch. The strap has a signed Hyperdive buckle and “HD” imprinted in the leather strap end. It’s about 5mm thick, very pliable and comfortable. Also included is an olive colored Zulu strap for added versatility.

15725995036_7bf90d9ec0_c.jpg

Lume

The Hyperdive uses both C3 (green) and BGW9 (blue) Superluminova on the dial and the bezel that provides a great contrast in colors and beautiful display in the dark. The sandwich dial is in BGW9, each hour marker is lined with C3 while the hour and minute hand have a full application of C3 and the “S” Strider logo is lumed with BGW9. The dial gives off an impressive display of color and attention to detail.

The bezel also uses both C3 (green) and BGW9 (blue) Superluminova. The first through 15-minute marker is done in BGW9 while the rest of the bezel is in C3 providing equal contrast from the dial to the bezel. When fully charged the lume is bright and puts off an impressive color display and last a reasonably long time making reading the time in darkness no problem.

15124095674_6c2acc18a7_c.jpg

Pros

Solid 316L stainless steel construction
One way machined screws for sizing and strap options
Locking deployant clasp with a ratcheting micro adjustable extension
Sandwich dial with both C3 (green) and BGW9 (blue) Superluminova color combination

Cons

No minute/second markings on dial
Plain case back

Conclusion

I find the Strider Hyperdive to be a great tool diver. The case size at 46mm is right in my preferred range. The watch wears great on the wrist and provides a well thought out unique design that you’re not going to see in the everyday watch. Overall this watch is a winner in my book and I look forward to future designs from Strider.

Wrist Shots

15124392963_7a520ccd33_c.jpg

15741882911_d050bd4360_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

REVIEW: Strider Hyperdive

Awesome review Steve ,I think you can give Mo some pointers now,student turns teacher Grasshopper.[br][br]
859528d)3887)7923-custom-built-aluminum-bronsons-caine_and_master_po_candles.jpg

An excellent review, very detailed and well thought. Thanks for the music. It set the mood while reading.

Great review.

[font face=times new roman][font size=4][font color=429)ea]An outstanding review, and photos Steve. Congratulations on adding that piece to your collection. A very impressive look upon the wrist. Enjoy, and wear it in good WIT health my friend! :)[/font][/font][/font]

Thanks for the up close review. This seems to be a great watch and value.

Great review, thanks for taking the time.

Awesome review! I'm gonna post it to the WiT Instagram!

Nice. Wear it in good health!

[strong]That's a great review of a fantastic looking timepiece. Congrats![/strong]

I am jealous of that review. I particularly like the bezel dots and the saw tooth edge. Nice job Jim.

Excellent review, Steve. You make me want to go out and buy that Strider immediately! In fact, I may have a problem avoiding it in the not-too-distant future.

Great review and pics STEVE, congrats on another great looking timepiece!

Thanks for such an amazing review of the Strider. This review is my favorite one yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom