Rescuing a Mystique Skeleton

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertsr

Tyme Machine
So there I was, browsing the 'Bay and minding my own business when I come across a sad photo of one of the Androids that is still on my hit list...

Mystique_zpsbecrhjp4.jpg

The kindest thing you could say about this puppy is that it was clearly well loved.

Note the two screws in the bottom left hand corner of the crystal. They give you a hint about how the Mystique "floats" a movement in the case. There is a very clear wafer of some kind of polymer that the movement is held to with those two screws. That wafer of plastic takes the place of a conventional dial face and it nearly invisible.

In any case, it was in super-bad shape. The first thing I needed to do was replace the bracelet. It was heavily damaged and would no longer clasp, so I sourced a butterfly clasped solid stainless bracelet that closely matched the original. Once that was in, it was time to head to the shop.

I used a combination of 200 grit sanding pads and a rag wheel with SS polish to work the worst of the scratches out of the case and bring it back to a mirror finish. Interestingly enough, the mineral glass crystal was so darned hard that I had to use the exact same combination to make any headway there. I consider where I've gotten to be about half done.

20160824_150751_zps1gjkunee.jpg
20160824_150828_zpsxbg1eitz.jpg
20160824_150808_zpsljkhustj.jpg

It's wearable right now. It certainly passes the 12 inch test for the case, and it's getting there with the crystal. I don't know how much further I'll be able to go in re-buffing the crystal, but I'm going to try for quite a bit more improvement. It was hammered pretty hard, and to tell the truth, I'm impressed at how far we've been able to come already. Taking a look at the before picture still makes me cringe.

Thanks for looking!

That is one outstanding salvage job you have done so far, Robert. Looks like you've brought this one back from the edge. A very nice piece of work indeed. Looking good, 360, my friend.:good::cool2:

Last edited:
Wow, nice job! Of course you know that you have now ruined the value of that Distressed Look Mystique! :grin

Nice progress on that poor Mystique. I'll be interested to see the finished work!

That diamond paste looks interesting. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the pointer.

I admire the fact that you enjoy bringing back the dead, your like the Dr Frankenstein of Android watches.

A big thanks for rescuing and bringing that Mystique back to
her former beauty ! Great job Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom