Invicta store battery changes

bobbyd

Tyme Twister
Back in Pennsylvania My Jeweler would change batteries for free. Some for the $2 cost of the battery. When I moved Vegas things here are a bit different. I've been spending $7 a battery change for years and then my Jeweler increased the price of Just Invicta battery changes. He's obviously tired of dealing with them for some reason.
Called the new Vegas invicta store the other day to inquire. This was the reply...
$35 for 1
$30 each for 2
$25 each for 3
$20 each for 4
$15 each for 5 +

Must be Swiss batteries...

What does Aragon charge for battery changes again?:foot:

Batteries Plus here in Dallas won't change Invicta at all anymore...they say it's because of the gaskets on some messing up? :dunno:
I pay around $9 at my local jewelers.

Another reason to do our own

I learned to remove links on my second watch, which was probably the most difficult being the original Venom that had that three-piece link set up. My first and only attempt at battery change was a Renato mostro 55. I have a Precision screwdriver set and even my smallest Phillips head bit was too large to remove that microscopic screw covering the piece of brass holding the battery in. I've seen some photos online of open case backs of invicta's and they seem much simpler without a battery cover so I should probably give it another shot.

Do your own as I do! You could have had a decent watch if you were doing your own changes.

Are you sure that wasn't a barber shop you called?:think: It sure sounds like they are trying to "Clip You"!:lol:

Batteries are about $4.50 for five at Amazon and the shipping is always free. With about 350 Invicta watches and about 2/3 of them quartz I could never buy another watch if I did not change my own batteries. It is not that difficult. Practice on some of your old watches, like the ones with the poly straps that have come apart. There is a great deal of satisfaction in doing it yourself. Plus once you have opened the case, you will see how easy it is to remove the movement to clean a cloudy crystal using the instructions from Rog1.

I'll check out some YouTube videos this weekend. If anybody has any do-it-yourself advice I'd appreciate it. My understanding is you don't want to use anything metal to pop the battery off cuz it might short out the movement? So I guess I'll use a toothpick?

Obviously you need smaller micro tip screwdrivers. I have sets also that don't go down to a size small enough. Simply go to Esslinger and look at the range of screwdriver tips. They don't have to be expensive for those tiny screws, but should have a straight thin edge.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-75314SD-R...wdriver+sets&qid=1567702697&s=gateway&sr=8-52

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-screwdrivers-1/

When you reassemble use a little piece of scotch tape to hold the screw in place inside the clamp. The tip will still grip the screw, but saves the hold down strap from becoming a projectile. I use tape when unscrewing the batter as well.

Finger cots are a help to position the battery. It's not good to touch the battery with bare skin, it gets unwanted oil on them even if you thin you don't have greasy fingers. IMO finger cots are less restrictive compared to latex gloves.

41FbIyHLzqL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-F...s=finger+cots&qid=1567703216&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Do they make a driver smaller than 00 ? I've tried working on eyeglasses before... those pesky miniature screws were the problem. :dizzy:

They make micro screwdriver tips from 0.50mm to 3.00mm for micro size screws. The photo with the set of five in the red box has some of the smallest ones from around 0.5 to 1.00mm. One of the places I purchase parts from sent them free. They are made in India, but get the job done. A sharpening stone will take care of the chewed up tips for only so long. I keep a bunch of new tips just in case.

lOGD4H.jpg
GOXarU.jpg
6kmGoX.jpg
5FAJ1J.jpg

Batteries are about $4.50 for five at Amazon and the shipping is always free. With about 350 Invicta watches and about 2/3 of them quartz I could never buy another watch if I did not change my own batteries. It is not that difficult. Practice on some of your old watches, like the ones with the poly straps that have come apart. There is a great deal of satisfaction in doing it yourself. Plus once you have opened the case, you will see how easy it is to remove the movement to clean a cloudy crystal using the instructions from Rog1.

I remember attempting the cloudy crystal cleaning that Rog1 shared with everyone and it shocked the hell out of me that I was actually able to do it. I've learned to do most battery changes myself. THE most difficult (and one I wouldn't have ever considered trying to change) one was the one in my Sottomarino Ceramico. I swear there is something like 8 screws on the case back itself. I guess that's why I only consider automatics from now on. Hope everyone is having a good week.

I over torqued a small battery clip screw on my Android Alarm function so the screw head broke off!

Obviously you need smaller micro tip screwdrivers. I have sets also that don't go down to a size small enough. Simply go to Esslinger and look at the range of screwdriver tips. They don't have to be expensive for those tiny screws, but should have a straight thin edge.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-75314SD-R...wdriver+sets&qid=1567702697&s=gateway&sr=8-52

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-screwdrivers-1/

When you reassemble use a little piece of scotch tape to hold the screw in place inside the clamp. The tip will still grip the screw, but saves the hold down strap from becoming a projectile. I use tape when unscrewing the batter as well.

Finger cots are a help to position the battery. It's not good to touch the battery with bare skin, it gets unwanted oil on them even if you thin you don't have greasy fingers. IMO finger cots are less restrictive compared to latex gloves.

41FbIyHLzqL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-F...s=finger+cots&qid=1567703216&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Not sure of the actual sizes, but at least 2 down from the size needed to remove bracelet link screws.
Will check the links, thanks Mike.

I have at least a half dozen (probably more) Invictas that need battery changes but I have trouble with getting battery clips back on. The screws are just too small for my fingers (and my eyes too). These aren't watches I wear any more so I just don't find the time to take them to a jewler. Knowing that there are places that don't want to work on Invictas doesn't help either.

61Fst9RFLwL._SL1500_.jpg
52.0756__97924.1476998741.jpg

↑↑↑↑↑ https://www.esslinger.com/color-coded-reversible-blade-replacement-screwdrivers-sold-individually/ $4.49 Good option for sizes below 0.8mm

Sold individually, these watchmakers screwdrivers contains straight blade screwdrivers that feature color-coded hex heads (for size identification) and reversible blades. Individual replacement blades are packaged in bags of three. These quality screwdrivers feature a rotating head so that when you hold the top with one hand, you are able to easily/quickly twist the screw out with the other hand. The reversible blades change by using the tightening nut at the end of the screwdriver - making it very quick to reverse blades or replace screwdriver blades. Blades are tempered and finely ground to exact specifications. Made in France

• Straight reversible blades
  • 3 inch miniature screwdrivers
  • Knurled chrome finish shafts
  • Replacement blades are also available
  • Tempered steel blades
  • Product size 3.2" X 0.3" X 0.3" Inches (82 X 8 X 8mm)
  • Made in France
OlUkaH.jpg

https://www.esslinger.com/horotec-spare-blades-for-screwdrivers/ $5.75 for a set of three blades

52.0204__10693.1477071748.jpg

LjbKY3.jpg

Good luck bobby. 0.50-0.80 mm sizes are some of the smallest and should be able to handle the smallest screws on clamps.

tools-consumables-bergeon-precision-screwdriver-single-with-spare-blades-1_grande.jpg

$33.00 for the Bergeon = overkill

https://www.amazon.com/Individual-0...ver+blade&qid=1567777635&s=home-garden&sr=8-3

21olOO6hQ7L.jpg
$16.73 you can buy a few cheap sets and spare blade for less than this price

https://www.esslinger.com/economy-screwdriver-set-of-5-pieces/ $3.49 This one looks like the red box set I have from India. IMO well worth the price. Those tiny screws do not use much torque so the tips don't need to be super hard.

52.0925__08009.1477014946.jpg

This economy screwdriver set includes five standard / flat-head screwdrivers with reversible blades. The 2-1/4" inch screwdrivers come in the typical watch and eyeglass repair sizes from .80-1.40mm. For the price these are good quality screwdrivers, they come in a plastic case with a clear snap-on cover to keep them organized. They have a knurled grip on the body and color-coded rotating hex heads for easy identification.

• 5 pc. Reversible Blade Flat-Head Screwdriver Set
  • Comes in plastic case with a seat for each size screwdriver and snap-on clear plastic cover
  • Screwdrivers are 2.25" inches in length with knurled grip bodies and rotating hex heads
  • Sizes included: 0.80, 0.90, 1.00, 1.20 and 1.40mm

https://www.esslinger.com/watchmakers-set-of-7-screwdrivers-with-spare-blades/

59.0845__78220.1477013056.jpg

This set of seven 3" straight blade / flat-head style screwdrivers is offered at a great price. The screwdriver set includes sizes ranging from 0.80 - 2.00mm, perfect for watchmakers, eyeglass repair or working on small electronics. The set features knurled grip bodies marked with blade size and color-coded, rotating hex heads. They use common set-screw style blades, which offers easy blade replacement and a strong, reliable design. One replacement blade of each size is included with the set, so if one breaks you will have a back-up on hand. Replacement blades are also sold separately. The screwdriver set comes conveniently packaged in a fold-over plastic pouch which organizes and the protects the screwdrivers and the replacement blades so you can easily access both.

• 7 pc Screwdriver set packaged in a convenient plastic pouch
  • Screwdrivers feature color coded and rotating hex-heads
  • Bodies are clearly marked with blade size and have a knurled grip for extra turning power
  • Screwdrivers are approximately 3" inches in length
  • Body diameter is approximately 3/16" inches (4.75mm)
  • Set includes one spare blade per size
  • Set includes blade sizes: 0.80mm, 1.0mm, 1.2mm, 1.4mm, 1.6mm, 1.8mm, and 2.0mm

I took these photos for a comparison of other objects beside the screws.

EEIEeX.jpg

qL6ziQ.jpg
obV14F.jpg

vuoUQ6.jpg
Bh7dkx.jpg

LQ2Eqm.jpg
jslLmF.jpg
PVDxJz.jpg
PJ5p9i.jpg
knREjs.jpg

Like others, I've always just changed batteries myself. I've had too many bad experiences with paying other people to do things for me (including working on watches) so I've learned to do everything myself.

I've learned the hard way that there is nobody in this world that is as careful with my things than myself. That certainly applies to my watches.

I have also personally experienced the anti-Invicta sentiment amongst the local watch repair guys. One guy even told me that the hands on my Invicta Leviathan could not be removed. Thankfully, he told me before actually opening my watch to work on it. (I thought that its movement needed to be replaced so that's why I took it to him.) I took his comment about the hands as his polite way of saying, "I won't work on any Invicta watch."

I learned - D.I.Y.! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom