Hamtun Kraken H2 Review

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
AAuE7mBHDMDZX_S090PTbb_5JGkF5Dke0L0xmZD0CA=s48-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

Random Rob
Published on Mar 28, 2019

An excellent video of a very impressive, standard size, automatic, three hand, Pro Diver, from Hamtun. Thanks Mike.

Not a bad looking watch but that titanium bracelet has taken a beating. I would really prefer it in SS.

Not a bad looking watch but that titanium bracelet has taken a beating. I would really prefer it in SS.

For the production model, they are applying a 3 micron clear coating to the titanium to give it a hardness rating of about 1000hv (SS is 225hv and regular grade 2 titanium of the prototypes are 145hv). So production models should be pretty scratch resistant (Corning Gorilla Glass used on cell phones has a hardness rating of 680hv). Production model will also have a titanium ratcheting clasp.

Still debating which color I'm going to select - likely going to be the light blue dial with the matte black lumed ceramic bezel.

For the production model, they are applying a 3 micron clear coating to the titanium to give it a hardness rating of about 1000hv (SS is 225hv and regular grade 2 titanium of the prototypes are 145hv). So production models should be pretty scratch resistant (Corning Gorilla Glass used on cell phones has a hardness rating of 680hv). Production model will also have a titanium ratcheting clasp.

Still debating which color I'm going to select - likely going to be the light blue dial with the matte black lumed ceramic bezel.

You and me both Rob, I think I am still going with that White Dial Version, as without a real Prototype of the light blue, I don’t want to take a chance on the unknown color outcome.

If it's so revolutionary and durable why aren't other companies using it on titanium watches? :hmm:

I was looking at that too Rob, thanks. I hope it does do what it says. I like the aqua dial on this one, but I have several other watches in the pipeline. I hope to see what the feedback is when they are released in the wild. By that time the slate should be clean and I'll keep an eye out for Massdrop or the next gen version. I'll keep my fingers crossed for whomever ordered one.

ryoyvMP.jpg
giphy.gif

Thanks for posting that Mike. Yeah - it's curious that if this is such a great coating that it isn't more commonly used. I'm hoping that it works as advertised. Anyways - Ross just posted a sample of the meteorite dial - I just updated my pledge to meteorite. The only meteorite I have is a gunmetal Invicta that I never wear, so this one will give me a meteorite watch for the rotation.

Kraken H2 Meteorite Dial Sample by Robert Terrill, on Flickr

YW. The one in the photo is a good looking slice of meteorite. I hope you get one with those great Widmanstätten patterns, congrats Rob.

I was just on their website and it looks like all the H1 & H2 are all sold out.

Update: Sorry, I just saw Kickstart still has some of the H2... :oops: 4 left @ $315

giphy.gif
'

Scratch Test. It’s no secret that stainless steel is tough (about 160 HV on the Vicker's hardness scale). Our proprietary coating, just a few microns thick, hardens the Freediver to nearly 1,500 HV. That’s nearly 10 times harder than traditional 316L stainless steel!

16:00 to 20:26 video mark to watch the demo with sound.

Back
Top Bottom