SPEEDMASTER SIGNATURE CASE BACK COLLECTION (50 YEARS IN SPACE)

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
HiRz-Public-Final-Light-copy-1400x600.jpg

Robert-Jan Broer FEB 19, 2019

https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedmaster-signature-case-back-collection/

How long has it taken to assemble the collection and are you finished with the entire project?

I’m not finished yet; it is still very much a work in progress. Just when I think I’m pleased with what I have assembled, I always find the desire and motivation to add an additional piece to the collection. There are still a number of pieces I would like to add and a couple more that are currently in the works, so you have not seen the end of it. The first piece was signed in August 2013, and the most recent piece was signed by Gennady Padalka in November 2018. So it’s been just over 5 years to assemble the 26 pieces you see today.

Mission flown Speedmasters worn by astronauts are tightly controlled and are extremely valuable. Did any astronauts express concern about signing a piece for your collection?

A concern would be an understatement. When it came to Alan Bean, the first moonwalker I approached about the project, he was adamant that he would not sign a piece. He was concerned that even though I assured him the case back that I would provide could not be represented as the case back from his flown Apollo 12 Speedmaster, he believed it was possible it could be misrepresented as flown if the piece ever found its way out of my possession. I was disappointed, but I was determined to find a solution because if any of the other potential future signers had similar concerns they may not sign either. After some thought, I came up with the idea of engraving the inside of case back with “FOR AUTOGRAPH ONLY – NOT MISSION FLOWN” and found a local engraver that could laser engrave the disclaimer inside the case back. The engraving is so small it is not noticeable to the naked eye and is smooth enough that it could be written over. I showed Alan Bean the first engraved piece, and he found it more than acceptable to sign after seeing it. Alan Bean became the first of the six moonwalker pieces in the collection, signing over the engraving knowing that if the engraving has ever tampered with his signature would surely be destroyed in the process rendering the piece useless. That was the beginning of what I call the “Bean Rule”. If a signer shows any concern, or I think it may be an issue, I add the engraving to the case back. Of the 26 pieces, 13 include the engraving.

Bean-Reject-Article-750x422.jpg
Bean-Article.jpg

:outstand: Very impressive to be sure. Thanks Mike.:cool:

That is awesome! I think my wife would kill me if it meant she could have this.

Back
Top Bottom