W&W: Damasko: A Look Inside the Manufacture Part 2 added 6/12/19

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
DAMASKO: A LOOK INSIDE THE MANUFACTURE

FEBRUARY 14, 2019 WORDS BY ZACH WEISSPHOTOS BY ZACH WEISS

Link to written article →→→→ https://wornandwound.com/damasko-a-look-inside-the-manufacture/

DAMASKO_FACTORY_22_hr-900x400.jpg

Just fifteen minutes by car from Regensburg, Germany, the bustling capital of Bavaria, you’ll find Barbing. This wooded area is not all too different in appearance from upstate New York, despite being a continent away. Large fields studded by small structures line either side of the road when there’s a break in the trees. In the mornings in October, the fog is so thick you can’t see more than a few feet ahead, and there is a pleasant if not slightly-sharp chill in the air.

Tucked away on one of the many understated side roads is a long, single-story, white building with a pitched roof. There’s nothing flashy about it, and nothing to tell you that inside raw materials are transformed into complex machines. Machines that, despite their understated appearances, are some of the most technology packed in their industry.

Last edited:
I was very close to buying a Damasko when I started having health issues. I'm very impressed with everything about them.

I have always wanted to add a Damasko to my collection. These are beautifully made timepieces.

wornandwound
Premiered Jun 7, 2019

When founder Konrad Damasko first began making watches in the early ‘90s, he did not set out to produce an in-house movement. His initial focus was to over-engineer all the things around the movement, inspired, in part, by the gradual decay of a watch gifted to him long ago for his confirmation. Konrad wanted watches bearing his name to withstand the test of time, and that desire gave birth to hardened cases and crowns, a patented lubrication system, anti-magnetic shielding, and other case technologies that Damasko has come to be known for today.

It wasn’t until 2008 that the team turned their attention to the movement. Initially, Damasko put their energy to producing a handful of specific components — among them the oscillating and winding systems — to optimize performance of pre-existing calibers. But then came Swatch Group’s movement crunch, which set the industry scrambling. Damasko was not immune, and Konrad was faced with a difficult choice.

“We asked ourselves, ‘What should we do? Should we just let the whole project die?’” Konrad recalls.

Damasko didn’t dawdle. While the big players over in Switzerland spent their energies legislating Swatch Group’s decision, the Damasko team set out to make an in-house movement.

I've always like what I saw from this brand. Maybe one day. Thanks for posting this up, Mike.:hat:

Back
Top Bottom