WR: Sinn 240St Pilot Watch Review-not what I expected!

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
AAuE7mBfsxC5gaY6qtjwyhLN97iRVxY3FJneF74l8w=s48-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

WatchReport.com
Published on Jan 28, 2019

Here is my take on the Sinn 240 St and why I ultimately did not end up keeping it.

I can understand the remorse. I've been there done that. And now you have too go through the process of selling. That sucks!
Thanks Mike

​A very good video review of this time piece, by Sinn. This one really doesn't talk to me, and the price tag is above my humble pay grade anyway. Thanks Mike.

This is why I usually buy the bracelet option when available. You can always buy a strap if you want to change it up at a later date. I think this is a more cost effective method. JMHO...

This is a handsome watch nonetheless...

i never made it to zinn but had wood for the brand for a long tyme... a divorced guy would not give a gr8 review to his ex-spouse..( DON already was flipping the watch before the review on the grounds of failure to bond )

a good idea to buy what u can easily afford...when u flip expect it will cost ya...a lot of moaning about the cost of the watch and the a la carte bracelet... i don't hear JOHNRO moaning about the cost of his TJ MAXX finds...when u buy what u can afford u can laugh off life's disappointments and thrill to the positive surprises-

- a depressing 14 minute listen where's my prozak ?

-but in all seriousness... DON lusted after the watch long tyme...and then when he got it...he did not bond....hunt trumps kill... D LAMA sez " u can not satisfy desire by acquisition ; u can only stoke the fire ""-

- a sobering listen...but maybe worthwhile.. u can buy a whole lotta watches and still not scratch that itch.... not buying anything ( prayers )

- in all seriousness ...i would stalk a SINN.. only a 3 hand...smaller- no day no date...only 1 crown... they can not stint on the paint... if i buy a grail it gotta be under 10 C notes ( STOWA makes a 37mm. PARTITO fantasy pick for me 617 EU + 39$ S & H )...and i would have a 1 watch collection...tried the hundreds o f tools thing but the boxes & provenance were a hassle and moving suks...

This is why I usually buy the bracelet option when available. You can always buy a strap if you want to change it up at a later date. I think this is a more cost effective method. JMHO...

This is a handsome watch nonetheless...

I to always buy bracelet too but someTIMEs a proprietary strap costs just as much as the bracelet.

I to always buy bracelet too but someTIMEs a proprietary strap costs just as much as the bracelet.

leather shoes over handcuffs 4 me...methinks bracelet on flieger weird...DON was just moaning about the " a la carte economics "...bummer for him

- with my hundreds of tools...never hit that misery index level...but the most i ever spent was just under a grand...and i always felt excited...no regrets

leather shoes over handcuffs 4 me...methinks bracelet on flieger weird...DON was just moaning about the " a la carte economics "...bummer for him

- with my hundreds of tools...never hit that misery index level...but the most i ever spent was just under a grand...and i always felt excited...no regrets

Now for myself, I prefer bracelet ONLY For the summer months as I don't like to ruin my straps from the salty perspiration that destroys leather. And no I don't like rubber/silicone. I hate it!

Now for myself, I prefer bracelet ONLY For the summer months as I don't like to ruin my straps from the salty perspiration that destroys leather. And no I don't like rubber/silicone. I hate it!

first off strokes 4 folks. ( yeah...every body likes different stuff...viva la tolerance )..second...1 drop of sweat on a nice strap and it seems ruined-stained-limp.imho...truth be told .. i never wore my nice straps or nice watches...doh ! i just " collected " them

first off strokes 4 folks. ( yeah...every body likes different stuff...viva la tolerance )..second...1 drop of sweat on a nice strap and it seems ruined-stained-limp.imho...truth be told .. i never wore my nice straps or nice watches...doh ! i just " collected " them

So if I understand right, you don't wear most of your TIMEpieces but you wear a select few. Well that's cool too.

crystal looks great. I like it on the brown leather and I give him credit for living with it for a month before just sending it off.

but........

has this dude never bought a watch before? (rhetorical) Eh yeah the bracelet is an expensive add on. Pay the extra $170 at time of purchase since you can add the leather comparatively cheap.

Oris bracelets will cost you $500, Breitling $700+, Omega $600+ and so on.

In the end this is why try before you buy is so important when you can and why videos are so important when you can't. So appreciate those efforts.

From his many disappointments with this piece, I get the idea that there was very little research done before buying......and evidently he never saw one in person or tried one on. If he did, he would have seen that it just didn't do it for him. Find a dealer, road test the watch, ask all pertinent questions, and hang on to your $1760 until you're sure. JMHO...

From his many disappointments with this piece, I get the idea that there was very little research done before buying......and evidently he never saw one in person or tried one on. If he did, he would have seen that it just didn't do it for him. Find a dealer, road test the watch, ask all pertinent questions, and hang on to your $1760 until you're sure. JMHO...

in all fairness... yesterday i felt smug & superior to DON... but upon reflection...the case shape is odd...a barrel ; maybe it would be tough to know there could be no bonding... i never tried on a tool in an AD...unlike TIMECAT/DARK OVERLORD TIMES SQUARE TRAVELING WILBERRIES HORO SHOWROOM DUO... but even in the show room...maybe u r excited ...listening to the salesperson's patter... or the scent of a woman is in the air...

- for me the best way not to make a mistake on a $1700 tool is not to buy 1... but on this piece... i do not get it... the odd barrel case- day/date taking up real estate on a flieger/ 2 crown the better to strip you with/...DON better get his horo meter checked out... he got a case of false wood...

a weird review...every body is a critic on inter webs ...a bummer to watch imho

in all fairness... yesterday i felt smug & superior to DON... but upon reflection...the case shape is odd...a barrel ; maybe it would be tough to know there could be no bonding... i never tried on a tool in an AD...unlike TIMECAT/DARK OVERLORD TIMES SQUARE TRAVELING WILBERRIES HORO SHOWROOM DUO... but even in the show room...maybe u r excited ...listening to the salesperson's patter... or the scent of a woman is in the air...

- for me the best way not to make a mistake on a $1700 tool is not to buy 1... but on this piece... i do not get it... the odd barrel case- day/date taking up real estate on a flieger/ 2 crown the better to strip you with/...DON better get his horo meter checked out... he got a case of false wood...

I don't feel superior or smug, just guilty of using common sense. IMO, only a fool will make a major purchase without doing their homework, and you know what that can lead to...
61RH9mewqgL._SY606_.jpg

Guess I'm being blunt, and sure don't wanna step on any toes, but
maxresdefault.jpg

Once again, JMHO. :)

So in this scenario am I Tom Petty or perhaps George Harrison? Either way I'll take it!

In all fairness it is hard regardless of price to get to try on everything you want to buy in this day and age and its getting even harder. And I'm not just talking about watches. Websites are trying to get you to buy cars online sight unseen for god's sake. I don't know of anywhere to try on a Sinn in person. And there are many brands like that where if you don't happen to know someone who has one, you're either going to have to take the plunge or take a pass. Neither choice is wrong, esp if there are returns allowed.

As Scotty points out I am lucky enough to live in or near a major metropolitan area where I can get hands on with most if not every major brand. (Having sold watches helps too) And as such a list of watches I've been able to try, handle, view in the flesh is very long. Also being here near NY means that trade shows come through so even smaller brands might find their way to my wrist. (That's how I tool the Squale plunge.)

But even that being true I've had to take a chance with buying my H2Os, my Christopher Ward, my Borealis Sea Dragon and even Androids/Aragon (I don't count Evine as hands-on, I'm sure most of us don't.)

I would totally support anyone who decided they would never spend a dime on something they couldn't try first. But today's shopping habits are making that decision more restricting all the time.

So in this scenario am I Tom Petty or perhaps George Harrison? Either way I'll take it!

In all fairness it is hard regardless of price to get to try on everything you want to buy in this day and age and its getting even harder. And I'm not just talking about watches. Websites are trying to get you to buy cars online sight unseen for god's sake. I don't know of anywhere to try on a Sinn in person. And there are many brands like that where if you don't happen to know someone who has one, you're either going to have to take the plunge or take a pass. Neither choice is wrong, esp if there are returns allowed.

As Scotty points out I am lucky enough to live in or near a major metropolitan area where I can get hands on with most if not every major brand. (Having sold watches helps too) And as such a list of watches I've been able to try, handle, view in the flesh is very long. Also being here near NY means that trade shows come through so even smaller brands might find their way to my wrist. (That's how I tool the Squale plunge.)

But even that being true I've had to take a chance with buying my H2Os, my Christopher Ward, my Borealis Sea Dragon and even Androids/Aragon (I don't count Evine as hands-on, I'm sure most of us don't.)

I would totally support anyone who decided they would never spend a dime on something they couldn't try first. But today's shopping habits are making that decision more restricting all the time.

All good points, my friend. But if I'm gonna spend 4 figures + on anything, I've gotta see what I'm gonna get. If I can't, then I don't buy. Like everyone else here, I've worked hard for my money......and at my age, I'm sticking to informed decisions. But that's just me... your results may vary.:wink:

LOL. I love the comments here. Let me set a few things straight here.
One, I had seen the watch in person a few years ago, but it was just that, a few years ago. Second, many people buy without seeing them these days. Third, I did my research, I knew the watch well. That doesn't mean I was going to bond with it. The reality is, I stepped outside of what I normally wear to try something out. I also run Watchreport, so I get to do an unboxing and a review. Yes, ultimately it was not for me, and because I am doing the review, and it was a watch I personally bought and worn, I shared my experience with it, and why in the end, it was a fantastic watch, just not for me.

I have to say, you guys really are funny though, commenting like you know me and then almost shaming someone for reviewing and sharing their OPINION on a watch on a watch review site and channel. LOL.

One, I had seen the watch in person a few years ago, but it was just that, a few years ago. Second, many people buy without seeing them these days. Third, I did my research, I knew the watch well. That doesn't mean I was going to bond with it. The reality is, I stepped outside of what I normally wear to try something out. I also run Watchreport, so I get to do an unboxing and a review. Yes, ultimately it was not for me, and because I am doing the review, and it was a watch I personally bought and worn, I shared my experience with it, and why in the end, it was a fantastic watch, just not for me.

I have to say, you guys really are funny though, commenting like you know me and then almost shaming someone for reviewing and sharing their OPINION on a watch on a watch review site and channel. LOL.

:cheers:You should just be thankful you don't wear sunglasses upside down on your head Don.:lol: If you have a British accent anything would fly, word is gospel to some. :man:

I admit we are pretty funny here, and some of us actually have opinions bout stuff. I liked the fact that you were forthright about the situation, and explained your issues with the piece. You have wear the piece for the bond to form and I get you gave the Sinn every opportunity to be liked! It's not always apparent when you try on a watch that this is the one, so may be there is no full proof buying system in my opinion. Having all the specs about your prospective target is essential and how feels on the wrist goes without saying.
Being tuned into a Watch Review channel is a big help and the wrist shots too!

I know some of you will argue this point. I have never been able to try on a watch prior buying. Except my Casio, so not practical for me. I have taken chances with Crowd Funding and know some of you will not take the risk.

When I do get to spending above a certain limit then not sure how this will play out.
If I go with pre-owned then even more problematic for me if spending up to several thousand dollars. There is no right or wrong approach, but do your homework.

Back
Top Bottom