The Waiting is Over, Finally after 16 months, the Giant Squid (more pics pg4)

darkoverlord

Tyme Master Jr.
maxresdefault.jpg

It was back in the day.... the rumors started. I was just a young man then, after all it was September 2017. German watch guru, Mr. Clemens Helberg was releasing the Kraken (so to speak) in the form of the Kalmar Chronograph. Preliminary pics and renderings hit the web and all the H2O fanatics hit paypal with their credit card info and the wait began. What was supposed to be delivered in March of 2018 finally found its way to shore (aka my house) today. Today much like Ahab I am a much older and wiser man... so as the winds of change have blown and i've traveled new seas, is the great squid still worth the hype?

short answer... day one, YES!

in the kit we have:
1. H2O Kalmar Chrono, blue/black dial, domed crystal, solid caseback, rectagular bezel
2. Handmade leather strap with the H2O roller buckle (bonus! great buckle and I didn't know it was coming with that buckle)
3. H2O reversible bracelet with new branded clasp, 22m with hex screws!
4. New H2O nato strap, black (a very very nice nato, fabric is nearly as nice if not as nice as Omega even if the hardward isn't quite that nice; it is still very nice)
5. H2O Rubber strap and double folding clasp.
Untitled by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
of course it comes in the h2O dive box

The dial is darker than you'd think and is truly a stand out. It is very lovely. Reminds me of black-eye blue Breitling models

By choosing the solid caseback I saved some coin. and got this cool motif. The engraving is nicely done, the design is cool. This also means you get the elabore grade movement instead of the top decorated movement.

The H2O bracelet is a great piece. I've always admired the style but never had one in the collection since this is my first stainless H2O. The rubber strap is a cut style, which I don't love but it is otherwise a great strap with a fantastic clasp.
by Gavin Gear, on Flickr

the fit

thanks for looking...

The first watch of 2019 should've been the first watch of 2018 but hey... so far this is a pretty darn good start.

Last edited:
Wow Gavin. The wait was worth it. You have a beautiful Squid. Top shelf :up:

Absolutely beautiful, with any of the straps. Congrats.

Gavin your pics and description demonstrate your knowledge and love of quality timepieces.

I like that he gives you every possible bracelet/strap option--rubber, stainless bracelet, Nato, and the beautiful handmade leather strap.

All I can say is now I REALLY want one LOL!

Enjoy, and thanks for the show!

There's no doubt the pre-orders with H2O can take longer than planned. I know the feeling as the months go by. But once it finally arrives you realize why you wait.
That is gorgeous Gavin! Congrats on landing that beauty! Great pics too. Enjoy it often.

That is one beautiful watch and kit, photos are on point, Congrats & Enjoy my friend!

I’m definitely jealous but I’m happy for you. What an amazing looking beauty. Big congrats.

Spectacular pics!!! I think he's got the best bracelets and one of the best hand set ups in the biz. Wear that proudly!!

Great pics & story Gavin. :outstand:
A Very Happy New year to you + a fantastic way to "Kick-Off" 2019:cheers:

Very happy that your long wait was finally rewarded.
Congrats and wear that superb seaworthy squid in the best of health !!!

Congrats Gavin on a beautiful choice, your Pics are awesome, as usual. Waiting, seems forever, for my black dial/square Bezel version to arrive, I hope it looks as stunning as your blue/black choice. Enjoy it often, in good health...

Back
Top Bottom