2018 Breitling Navitimer B01 vs Premier B01 AB0118221G1P1 AB0121211C1P1

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
AAuE7mBLzF2z9tZRcSV8lJCD1bxtnapQtNpVzC5bdQ=s48-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

WatchBox Reviews
Published on Dec 29, 2018

2018 Breitling Navitimer B01 Chronograph 43 (AB0121211C1P1) vs 2018 Breitling Premier B01 Chronograph 42 (AB0118221G1P1); it’s a family feud from Grenchen, Switzerland! The revised Breitling Navitimer B01 launched at Baselworld 2018, but Breitling waited until the fall to launch its 2018 Breitling Premier luxury watch collection. Which one will rule at the house of Breitling until Baselworld 2019?

The 2018 Breitling Navitimer B01 Chronograph 43 (AB0121211C1P1) is the watch brand’s olive branch to purist Breitling buyers. Many watch collectors felt that the February release of the Navitimer 8 collection was underwhelming and at variance with the design standards of a true Navitimer pilot’s watch. For Basel, Breitling gave its traditional circular slide rule watch a shot in the arm with new lug profiles for better fit, new tone-on-tone dials to communicate in house calibers, and a display caseback to showcase the hardware.

The Breitling Navitimer B01 Chronograph 43 as pictured is a 43mm stainless steel watch with a matching blue alligator leather strap. This strap is thick and substantial; it’s matched to a calf skin underside and a contrasting aviation-style white stitch.

Inside the case, Breitling provides its B01 manufacture chronograph caliber. The automatic movement is a COSC certified Swiss chronometer with a 70-hour power reserve. This refined machine boasts a column wheel and vertical clutch for chronograph function cycling and smooth engagement. Stop seconds (hacking) and a quickset date are provided. The movement is water resistant to 30 meters in the Navitimer and water resistant to 100 meters in the Premier.

Breitling’s all-new Premier line revives the design conventions of the vintage Breitling Premier collection of the 1940s and 1950s. The Premier 01 Chronograph 42 packs a B01 movement that has been modified for a twin register (seconds and minutes) dial that better reflects the design of vintage chronograph watches. Its sunburst silver dial features black registers, and the centered location of the date at six o’clock yields a better balance dial than the Navitimer.

The Premier 01 Chronograph 42 as shown includes a B01 movement that is identical to the Navitimer’s in all respects except jewel count and counter configuration. A black alligator leather strap with calf skin underlay is matched to a full stainless steel deployant clasp.

The Breitling Premier B01 Chronograph 42 is encased in 42mm of stainless steel surrounding a silver dial on a black leather strap. Functions include hours, minutes, seconds, chronograph, tachymeter, and date. The watch also measures 13.8mm in thickness and 49.7mm from lug-to-lug.

The Breitling Navitimer B01 Chronograph 43 is encased in 43mm of stainless steel surrounding a blue dial on a black leather strap. Functions include hours, minutes, seconds, chronograph, tachymeter, and date. The watch also measures 14.3mm in thickness and 49mm from lug-to-lug.

AB012121-CA04-743P-A20BA.1.png
b01-58.jpg
4_1.png
01_premier-b01-chronograph-42-with-silver-dial-and-black-alligator-leather-strap.jpg

Two very handsome, and distinctive, chronographs, from Breitling. I'd be happy with either one of them! Thanks Mike.

I got to try on the Premier in this video right after it came out. Very impressive. I went into it thinking I wasn't going to be too impressed cause on the surface it looks like one of many other offerings out there from many companies. But once trying it on, you realize it is special. Those lines cut into the side of the case to great things with the light.

The Navi is the icon and I bet a lot of guys will enjoy having a 43mm choice over the old sizes. I miss the wings though and feel like the counterbalance on the chrono hand now looks awkward without the winged logo to balance it out. I mean why did they leave the anchor?

It is also important to point out that the navi can come with a strap that has the deployant as well and of course there's a bracelet option for both watches too. So you're not stuck with a pin and buckle.

I've hoped for a Navi for a long time.... I think despite the changes I still like it better, but in black and white. If I were going to buy today I'd seek out a NOS model with the gold winged logo.

The Navi is the icon and I bet a lot of guys will enjoy having a 43mm choice over the old sizes. I miss the wings though and feel like the counterbalance on the chrono hand now looks awkward without the winged logo to
balance
it out. I mean why did they leave the anchor?

AGREED, MR. DO !!!
IMHO, a REAL Navitimer has WINGS !!!

Back
Top Bottom