Junghans (like)

wjmccaff

Tyme Machine
Founding Member
Hi guys- really like the look of the Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope but I can't get past the plexiglass crystal. Any ideas on other brands with similar design? Has to be auto and between 40 and 42mm in size.

Below is a pic of what I would like to get minus the crystal.

I own 2 watches with the poly crystals. I would not have gotten them but they were not offered with sapphire/mineral crystals. I do not wear them every day. Just a couple in my normal rotation of watches. Absolutely no issues as of yet. If you don’t plan on wearing it daily or as often, or you’re not that rough on watches I’d say get it. Scratches can easily be polished out. JMO.
Good luck on your quest otherwise.

I own 2 watches with the poly crystals. I would not have gotten them but they were not offered with sapphire/mineral crystals. I do not wear them every day. Just a couple in my normal rotation of watches. Absolutely no issues as of yet. If you don’t plan on wearing it daily or as often, or you’re not that rough on watches I’d say get it. Scratches can easily be polished out. JMO.
Good luck on your quest otherwise.

when i was reading the mass drop on this bauhaus minimal chrono...said to self... what was all the sapphire fuss... would actually look forward to the lighter plexiglass...i am careful///POLYWATCH for boo boos

Poly crystals are fairly durable as well. I believe Omega uses a poly style on their moon watch.

Thanks for the linkEztenn. Dig the junkers, I assume they are using Myota or Seagul movements in their autos?

Hey Buzz, I know it's all in my head but I the plexy kills it for me

Thanks for the linkEztenn. Dig the junkers, I assume they are using Myota or Seagul movements in t

Hey Buzz, I know it's all in my head but I the plexy kills it for me

I completely understand. I do like the Junkers watches a lot. I don’t think you would be disappointed at all.

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]https://www.bobswatches.com/watch-resources/types-of-rolex-crystals

Acrylic has its advantages. It is very durable, easily resisting bangs. However, it is not scratch resistant, thus those bangs can still leave a mark. As you can see from the image above, an acrylic crystal can gather many scratches, especially one worn often. It would also eventually need to be replace in an effort to maintain the watch’s waterproofness. Despite it being easy to scratch, it was also easy to buff and polish, which gave it a continual "crystal" clear look. If it did break, it would not shatter, thus the watch would continue to work.[/FONT]

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Rolex used acrylic in their watches, but slowly began introducing a synthetic sapphire replacement similar to the one in the image above. Rolex’s first sapphire crystal appeared on the Oyster Quartz in 1970 and then again in the Submariner in 1981.
[/FONT]

[FONT=proxima_nova_bold]ACRYLIC VS SAPPHIRE ROLEX CRYSTALS[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]
types-of-rolex-crystals-comparison-1.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Comparing the acrylic crystal (left) and the sapphire crystal (right) presents many pros and only a few cons. Both offer protection for the delicate dial and movement of each watch, though the sapphire crystal is considered harder. This is not always a good thing, however, as the acrylic, if broken, will not shatter, while the sapphire crystal will, potentially causing major damage to the interior of the watch. There is also a marked difference in thickness between the two crystals. Acrylic is significantly thicker than the sapphire crystals Rolex uses.

types-of-rolex-crystals-width.jpg

[/FONT]
Acrylic Crystals
One of the oldest options for wristwatches comes in the form of acrylic crystals, which is essentially just another word for plastic, if we’re being honest. That being said, there are some serious benefits to using such a crystal over the other two we’re going to discuss. The first is that acrylic crystals are significantly resistant to cracks and shattering, which will come back into the discussion momentarily. As an extension of this, they are also scratch magnets; however, acrylic crystals can also be polished, and can be brought back to nearly new condition from near death, in many cases (see photo below).

w101-06-26-18-1.jpg

http://bezelandbarrel.com/crystals-sapphire-vs-acrylic/

Acrylic, on the other hand, is lighter that sapphire, and doesn’t promote glare nearly as much (sapphire is often coated with anti-reflective coating to reduce glare). It can withstand a much heavier blow than sapphire without breaking, although it will scratch. Most scratches, depending on how deep they are, can be polished out with a mild abrasive.

Acrylic, on the other hand, is a sort of plastic first create in 1843. Known to chemist types as polymethyl methacrylate, it’s known by several trade names, Lucite, Acrylite, Plexiglas, Perspex, and Optix among them. The Hesalite crystal used in the Omega Speedmaster Professional moon watch is an advanced form of acrylic.

The (NASA qualified for all extra-vehicular activities) Omega Speedmaster Professional has an acrylic crystal for the simple reason that breakage would be intolerable in space.

You see, when sapphire does break, it shatters into innumerable tiny needle-like pieces, along with the just-as-sharp bigger chunks. Imagine those floating around in a space vehicle. Nasty…

BrokenWatchCrystal-1024x576.jpg

And the same blow is only going to put a small ding in an acrylic crystal. Much more tolerable in the weightlessness of space.

So when you need tough beyond tough, no breakage under any circumstances, choose acrylic. When you need scratch resistance and structural integrity, choose sapphire.

Does all this palaver mean I can no longer choose the proprietary material known to one and all as

FLAME FUSION ??? :dance:

Back
Top Bottom