STEINHART QC ADVISORY PART II

watcher

Tyme Machine
Sorry to say this but my worst fears about Steinhart QC have come true (at least for me).
If you recall my post (see below link) on 9/1/18 about a QC issue with the Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 GMT, where the movement shifts inside the case when the crown is pushed or pulled:

http://watchintyme.com/showthread.php?62685-STEINHART-QC-ADVISORY&highlight=steinhart+advisory

My latest Steinhart, the Ocean Titanium 500 GMT has arrived in a defective state. Not the above addressed issue of a shifting movement, but an out-of-alignment GMT hand. In other words, set to military time, when the hour and minute hands read 2 o'clock exactly, the GMT hand should fall exactly on the number 14 on the bezel. Well....it doesn't !!! It falls about 15-20 minutes before or after, depending on some unknown situation.

Sorry I don't have pix, but I temporarily have lost the ability to size reduce image files with my new computer. I do have images but can't post them here due to the size limitation of 2MB on this forum. I did send the images to Steinhart and explained the situation. Hoping for a positive outcome.

Becoming increasingly disillusioned with what once was a company I highly respected and admired.

That Sucks! I hope they make it right if you continue your journey with Steinhart

STEINHART ADVISORY UPDATE:

It appears that at least we're off to a good start.

Received an email this morning (less than 12 hours after my original email to them) that they will accept the watch back, replace it AND cover shipping costs back to them.

Let's hope the entire process goes this smoothly. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Received an email this morning (less than 12 hours after my original email to them) that they will accept the watch back, replace it AND cover shipping costs back to them.

Watcher, I too had a issue with a Steinhart TIMEpiece, the date wheel would not change. Sent it back got a new one and mailed back to me all on their dime. Much respect to Steinhart. I look forward to hearing a positive resolution. Hopefully!

Hopefully this will all work out to your satisfaction. Good luck, my friend!:wink:

After the reading through the 3 pages of return instructions from Steinhart, which included calling US Customs, and having to bring the watch and forms to a port of entry at an international airport, getting special FedEx forms etc., I decided to just bring the watch to my local watchmaker, whom I trust, and see if he would make the repair. He was happy to do so for what seemed to be a fair price. I'll get the watch back in a few weeks. Don't know for sure if the US Customs officer gave me incorrect information, but at this point I was not willing to spend the time to jump through the hoops he wanted me to.

I expect this is not what most people have done to return a watch to Steinhart, but I was so disgusted with the whole proposition, I decided to abandon ship and handle this issue myself. For me, this seemed to be the least time consuming answer to the problem.

And yes, I realize I have probably voided the Steinhart warranty by allowing someone else to tamper with the watch under warranty......but at this point, I don't care any more.

Sorry to hear this and there is a speck of something on my watch dial. The company is overseas and is picking up the watch via a shipping service then send me a new watch. Just FYI for future.

Sorry to hear this and there is a speck of something on my watch dial. The company is overseas and is picking up the watch via a shipping service then send me a new watch. Just FYI for future.

Are you talking about Steinhart doing the pickup and sending you a new watch ?
If not, could you please specify which company you speak of ?

Back
Top Bottom