Get your Asian orders in this week. (Chinese)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surelyuknow

Tyme Master Jr.
If you are buying anything from Asia, you better get your order in this week. Next week is Chinese New Year and most dealers close down for a few weeks. This means your purchases will be on hold until they return back to work.

Just ordered a parnis and he charged me 30$ for 5-10 day shipping and then told me about this holiday:(
I responded by telling him he better get it here in the promised timeframe or a dispute will be filed

That happened with my MM. I knew ahead of time though.

Will this effect delivery of my Kung Pao Chicken? My favorite, Mr Fong's, always promises 45 minutes.

Will this effect delivery of my Kung Pao Chicken? My favorite, Mr Fong's, always promises 45 minutes.

If you look around, you might find Chinese food closer to home, Bob.
Not really necessary to order in from Beijing. :grin

That's a good headsup Joel, I got an item caught up in this holiday last year, what a PITA. And when they shutdown, THEY SHUTDOWN! I'm all for everyone celebrating their holidays but DAYUM!
Thanks for the forewarning.

A few weeks to celebrate the new year ? Wow must be quite a party

Yes, basically the entire country of China shuts down for about two weeks for the new year. Note that if you're trying to get a travel visa to China during this time of year - forget it. The Chinese embassy office in San Francisco recognizes all Chinese and US holidays.

Holidays in China have gone through a massive change in the last 15 - 20 years. People there used to work and go to school six days a week, with no official holidays off. That changed and now they get LOTS of holidays off from work and school. Most people now get both Saturdays and Sundays off from work. Almost all workers get a full paid week off in October (National Day) and in February (New Year.) They also get a lot of three day weekends sprinkled throughout the year. I don't know why that change happened, but for some reason it did.

Basically, the US is now the number one work-a-holic country on the planet now. People here work like a dog and then die earlier from job stress. Now that I'm older I realize that that's a losing battle. With some rare exceptions like Walt Disney, Henry Ford, and Steve Jobs, I don't know of *anyone* that, while lying on their deathbed said, "Darn it...I should have worked more!"

Locoboy speaks truth.

I routinely watch for CNY and plan accordingly. We don't import much but CNY is something one must include in one's calculations. Sometimes it's not even the vendor. I had one air shipment from Shanghai make it to the airport just fine then sit on the apron for a week because holidays impact the carriers as well - at least National Day.

For a bit of anecdotal history - the extended CNY / Spring Festival is a time for families to come together - think Christmas or Thanksgiving. The long celebration came about as rural Chinese went to the coastal areas for employment. If one is working in Tianjin or Shanghai and one's family is in rural central China it became customary to allow a week to get there and a week to get back so many coastal factories shut down for three weeks.

More anecdotal (meaning I could not prove it other than conversing with some Chinese) is that a portion of the impetus for the bullet train network was to ease travel times inside the country. Having most of the whole joint down for the better part of a month has a negative impact on GNP.

A year ago there was a notable labor shortage in the urban areas with factories snagging enough workers that construction trades were bidding up wages.

Our Tianjin supplier is down for three weeks apart from a skeleton staff consisting of people with local family. Our folks in Shanghai tend to work through most of the holiday and run sales on Alibaba due to boredom. Curmudgeonly bastages like me that really don't much care about family are rare - culture is different and less tolerant of old curmudgeons.

See: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/asia/china-elderly-law/

Thailand, especially Bangkok, is a whole 'nother thing. They celebrate Western New Year, Spring Festival, Songkran New Year in April - they're just always celebrating New Year - shorter duration but more of them and less time to recover from hangovers.

If you've never enjoyed some Tianjin hospitality you're in for a treat.

hjwI4dH.jpg

SvrbRLU.jpg

The drinking customs are well worth learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom