W&W Review: FARER COBB MECHANICAL CHRONOGRAPH

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
https://wornandwound.com/review/video-review-farer-cobb-mechanical-chronograph/ link to full article with photos

1024x524-WATCHES-CHRONO_0001s_0000_Layer_11_1024x1024.jpg

OCTOBER 4, 2018 WORDS BY ILYA RYVIN

In September, Farer launched their first series of Mechanical Chronographs. Continuing the brand’s now well-established formula for releases, Farer put out three distinct models—all sharing the same case but featuring wildly different dial designs and configurations. And, as one should now expect from Farer, the watches themselves showed once again that the British marque’s design team is not at all afraid of color.

We wrote about that initial release here, and to sum up I’ll just say that we were incredibly impressed with the watches. The team behind Farer, it seems to me, has never taken any shortcuts to get their watches out into the world. Each release has built on the one that’s come before it, exhibiting maturity in design, commitment to quality, and a unique aesthetic that shouts “Farer” from a mile away. The Mechanical Chronograph collection continues in that vein.

1024x524-WATCHES-CHRONO_0001s_0003_Layer_12_1024x1024.jpg
1024x524-WATCHES-CHRONO_0003s_0000_Layer_2_1024x1024.jpg

https://vimeo.com/288555094

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1004/6504/files/FARER_PRODUCT_SHEET_COBB.pdf?2124501020929300904

SPECIFICATIONS

CASE
39mm diameter, 12.5mm depth, lug to lug 45mm, dial aperture 34mm, serial numbered

MATERIAL
316L high grade stainless steel

FINISH
Brushed bezel with polished edge, polished side outline and inner lugs, micro-blasted case side cut-ins

DIAL
Matte night-sky blue dial with highly-polished, raised steel batons outer tipped in off-white Super-LumiNova, white split second markings, orange Tachymeter scale outer dial angled flange, two-sized embossed aqua sectioned sub-dials, matching dial colour date window

HANDS
Highly-polished steel hour/minute tapered stripe hands with pure white Super-LumiNova infill, jet black sub-dial small second hand, signal yellow chronograph central second hand, matching yellow-tipped, coral red 30-minute counter

CROWN
Solid bronze straight crown featuring inset Farer ‘A’

PUSHERS
Oblong polished and top brushed 316L stainless steel

GLASS
Anti-reflective domed sapphire crystal, sapphire exhibition glass on rear

STRAPS
Over-stitched American Horween leather, 316L stainless steel Farer ‘A’ buckle fastening

LUG
20mm

WATER RESISTANT
10ATM

chrono_dimensions.jpg

MOVEMENT
Swiss Made ETA 2894-2 Elaboré chronograph movement, bespoke Farer bronze ‘turbine’ design rotor

VIBRATIONS
28,800 per hour, 4 Hz

FUNCTIONS
Hours, minutes, small second, chronograph 60 seconds, dragging counter 30 minutes, date display

REGULATOR SYSTEM
ETACHRON and regulator corrector

JEWELS

WINDING
Self-winding mechanism with ball bearing

POWER RESERVE
Approximately 42 hours fully wound

chrono_mvmt.jpg

A very handsome, and attractive, standard size, automatic, chronograph, from Farer Cobb. Some marvelous statistics. Thanks Mike.:cheers:

i really have always dug the look of Farer watches but they are all small, 39/40mm pieces that just don't appeal to me in that regard and they are a bit pricey.

i really have always dug the look of Farer watches but they are all small, 39/40mm pieces that just don't appeal to me in that regard and they are a bit pricey.

:dunno:I'm curious Gavin. We all go through changes in this hobby. I know you sold off some, but still have the larger sizes. When you were in the XL size mode what were your parameters with smaller sizes then or considered "too small"? :hmm: Thanks.

:dunno:I'm curious Gavin. We all go through changes in this hobby. I know you sold off some, but still have the larger sizes. When you were in the XL size mode what were your parameters with smaller sizes then or considered "too small"? :hmm: Thanks.

Good question Mike,... I think about this stuff often.

First off right now I really like to be in the 44mm-48mm range with 46 usually feeling and looking about perfect to me depending on other parameters of the watch of course. I would say when I was into the bigger pieces I liked to stick in the 48-52mm range. I had some exceptions of course bigger and smaller but didn't really look into too many watches under 46mm. I still like the look of a big watch, but often they're just too heavy on my wrist.

Two watches got me looking smaller.... the Squale 60 atmos, and the H2O Hydra, both coming in at 44mm. I just fell in love with the designs and essentially had to have them. Since grabbing them I've been willing to take each piece unto itself and haven't gotten anything larger than 44mm in a long time. Even though that's still where I'd like to be low end I will take each watch and just see how it looks... (silly right, lol)

For the Oris that came up in another thread I've tried on the 40 and 42 and the 42 just looks better imo. I've gotten to try Farer watches at the Wind Up Fair, they are nice IMO but not nice enough that they've gotten me to plunge even smaller.

Good question Mike,... I think about this stuff often.

First off right now I really like to be in the 44mm-48mm range with 46 usually feeling and looking about perfect to me depending on other parameters of the watch of course. I would say when I was into the bigger pieces I liked to stick in the 48-52mm range. I had some exceptions of course bigger and smaller but didn't really look into too many watches under 46mm. I still like the look of a big watch, but often they're just too heavy on my wrist.

Two watches got me looking smaller.... the Squale 60 atmos, and the H2O Hydra, both coming in at 44mm. I just fell in love with the designs and essentially had to have them. Since grabbing them I've been willing to take each piece unto itself and haven't gotten anything larger than 44mm in a long time. Even though that's still where I'd like to be low end I will take each watch and just see how it looks... (silly right, lol)

For the Oris that came up in another thread I've tried on the 40 and 42 and the 42 just looks better imo. I've gotten to try Farer watches at the Wind Up Fair, they are nice IMO but not nice enough that they've gotten me to plunge even smaller.

size matters

I was thinking the H20 Hydra may have had a part in rethinking your comfort zone. Kudos Gavin, for being open-minded enough to not stay too focused on just one aspect of the watches you really like. It's not silly and although I'm not sure it's a good thing for the wallet, it does open many new doors for different watches.

Just to illustrate how things change without even trying..... since I got my last Invicta (a venom II- 49mm case/52mm bezel) I gone all smaller without even trying until recently with only one exception:

Aragon Museum 50mm (sold)
Hamilton Ventura XXL 46mm
Air Blue Thunderbird auto 44mm (sold)
H2O Hydra 44mm
Hamilton Pan Europ 45mm
Oris Aquis small seconds 46mm
Squale 60 atmos 44mm
H2O Orca 44mm
Borealis Sea Dragon 44mm
Hamilton Khaki Scuba 43mm (really 45mm)
Breitling SOH II 46mm
Christopher Ward Trident 43mm
Breitling Avenger Blackbird 44mm (actually chose the 44 over the 48mm)
Omega Aqua Terra 41mm
Evant Deco Diver 41mm (actually 43mm+)

And even more than size I think the list represents a real change in tastes as it pertains to style.... everyone always said it would happen and I guess it did without me even thinking about it. :dunno:

I was thinking the H20 Hydra may have had a part in rethinking your comfort zone. Kudos Gavin, for being open-minded enough to not stay too focused on just one aspect of the watches you really like. It's not silly and although I'm not sure it's a good thing for the wallet, it does open many new doors for different watches.

ha thanks...
yeah its bad for the wallet that's for sure. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom