Has Anyone Replaced A Bezel Insert On A Steinhart?

theTIME

Tyme Master Jr.
I'm looking to replace a Bezel insert on a Steinhart GMT 42mm. Had anyone done this before? If so any advice to the mod and insert size.
Thanks in advance.

Steinhart GMT Bezel Insert Swap

Greetings All,
My desire was to change out the ceramic bezel in my Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT for an aluminum red/black bezel insert. The ceramic is great looking and very durable, but under most light conditions I found the numerals difficult to read. The aluminum, while not as tough, is easy to read at a glance and the “coke” style coloration gives some added “pop” (see what I did there?) to the watch.

Steinhart inserts are held in place by adhesive. There are many threads on the forum as to how to remove them. A common method of removing an insert is to loosen the glue either by heat or chemical means, then twist the insert in the bezel to break the adhesion. The bezel insert can then be lifted out without damage. This method is particularly suited to the Ocean Diver models, because they have the “pip” at 12:00 that give you some traction on the insert. Unfortunately, the GMT insert lacks the pip hence there’s nothing to push against, and the problem is compounded by the smooth, slick texture of the ceramic.

attachment.php

To get a better “grip” on the insert I made a tool out of a socket and a flat neoprene washer. The insert measures about 42mm OD and 30mm ID, so I picked up a washer at the local hardware store that could be trimmed to fit. I found a socket that measured 42mm in diameter and used it to cut the OD needed, then found one 30mm across to make the second cut.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I then put some contact cement on the larger socket and glued the rubber ring to it.

attachment.php

I gently warmed the bezel and insert with a hair dryer and gave it a twist with my “tool”, clockwise against the bezel’s normal rotation. Nothing. I put a little more heat on it, gave it another twist and it rotated slightly. Before long it was rotating easily inside the bezel, but I had to coax it a bit with a razor blade to lift it away. The ceramic bezel was completely undamaged. Along the bezel channel were little globs of glue that I’d balled up during the rotating process. I gave the bezel a thorough cleaning with Goo Gone.

attachment.php

Installation of the new insert is very straightforward. The adhesive is already on the insert. Peel away the protective paper to expose the adhesive, double check your alignment and press it in.

attachment.php

The finished result. Truthfully, the hardest part was waiting for the insert to arrive from Germany. Cheers!​

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/accessoires/supplies/bezel.html

[FONT=&quot][h=2]BEZELS[/h][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Sort By Position Name Price Position

Show per page 12 24 36 36

[/FONT]

I'm glad you posted this. I had a bezel fall off my COMMADORE and I didn't know what to use as an adhesive. Am I to understand all I need is contact cement?

Below are what other people have used.

Contact cement.

Re: What type of adhesive to put bezel insert back on my Seiko diver?

Marine grade Epoxy glue. It's the best there is since it's made for water! ;) Here's what you have to do to make a perfect job. When you get the Marine grade epoxy at you local hardware store bring your watch along and go in the plumbing department and check for a pvc or metal pipe that is the same size as the bezel insert or that will fit between the bezel

Cut about a one inch piece of the pipe. Once you put a small amount of glue on the bezel (use a toothpik) then press down the bezel insert and finally place the piece of pipe on top of it and clamp it from under the case back. You can put a small piece of wood on top of the pipe to make it more stable for the clamp. Leave over night and Voilà!!

Ideally, you would use something like GS Hypo Cement (the pro's solution, and cheap on ebay) or another type of glue that stays flexible and is still water proof.

Any type of superglue or epoxy will also work, but you will have a hell of a time exchanging the insert when it's scratched.

GS hypo cement, the same stuff used for crystals. I use it on every new bezel insert that I get, just a few drops and it holds it in place.

https://www.esslinger.com/gs-crystal-hypo-cement-watch-crystal-glue/

[h=2]Product Description[/h][FONT=&quot]
made-in-the-usa.gif

GS Hypo Cement is a professional strength jewelers and watchmakers glue. It is traditionally used for gluing plastic or glass watch crystals. But it is also great for jewelry making, bead crafts, ceramic and plastic repair, model making, fine screw locking, sealing knots, and more. It is easy to use with its precision applicator and it dries clear so it won't be noticeable when you are done. Dries clear, Stays clear will not bond fingers.

• Sets in 10 minutes
  • Easy clean up with Isopropyl alcohol
  • Waterproof; Will not damage surfaces
  • Will not bond to fingers
  • You have 10-15 seconds before glue sets
  • Contents 1/3 fl. oz (9ml)
  • Needle is 22 gauge
  • Ingredients: Xylene, Heptane; Not a cyanoacrylate (CA) glue
  • Product size 4.3 X 1.8 X 0.9" Inches (108 X 22 X 22mm)
WARNING: Highly flammable. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Use in well ventilated area. Keep out of reach of children.
[/FONT]

12.205__34093.1476999301.1280.1280.jpg

You're welcome woody. I was just checking and this one is in stock from Steinhart with free S&H from FedEx. The back already has the adhesive applied and has C1 lume. You can shoot them an email to check the fit. Good luck.

25.21 Euro equals
28.93 United States Dollar

Fedex International
Standard Shipping €0.00

Total $28.93

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/inlay-keramik-fuer-ocean-1-black.html

Ceramic inlay for Ocean 1 Black C1

SKU: 311-0171
Availability: In stock

Ceramic inlay for Ocean 1 Black, backside self-adhesive. Super Luminova C1 green.

311-0171.1512747324.jpg

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/contact

Steinhart Watches GmbH

Address: Boschstr.6, 86391, Stadtbergen, Deutschland
Telephone: +49 (0)821 5433800
Fax: +49 (0)821 5433801
Mail: [email protected]

REPAIR AND RETURN

Our after-sale service is at your disposal for:

• Repair
  • Exchange
  • Return