REFERENCE: Crown Out for battery savings

Status
Not open for further replies.

motegi

Tyme Machine
I am reposting this as it is a topic that comes up on a weekly basis on most watch forums.

---------------------------------------------

Crown Out Documents

As this topic seems to come up frequently so here is a list of articles how and why a collector can save battery energy by storing their quartz watches with the "crown out".

Most quartz movements are engineered to go into "power save" when the crown is disengaged. The exception would be those with digital displays (or ana-digi) whose displays remain when the crown is disengaged as well as watches containing perpetual calendar type movements which continue to use energy to maintain calibration.

Keep in mind that ALL watch batteries (and most ANY battery) will lose charge over time on their own, even when not installed and sitting in the package. After all there is a chemical reaction taking place inside the cell. The rate of this decay depends on the type of cell but can be as high as 5% per year.

The technical director from Swatch has stated that over 75% of the energy can be saved by keeping the crown out. And as you know Swatch owns ETA, Omega, Tissot, Blancpain, Longines, Rado, Hamilton, and multiple other brands (including battery company Renata!).

Here are several supporting documents:

Ronda website product info for their movements state: "Power saving mechanism with pullled out stem: Reduction of consumption approximately 70%"
Here are the technical pages for 5040f and 8040n movements where you can see the above quote at the bottom of the pages.
www.ronda.ch/en/our-quartz-movements/startech/startech-5000/caliber/5040f/
www.ronda.ch/en/our-quartz-movements/mastertech/mastertech-8000/caliber/8040n/

Also for their brand new Xtratech Z60 movement see the first page of their technical documentation:
www.ronda.ch/en/our-quartz-movements/essential-movements/ronda-xtratech/caliber/?type=1321625610&tx_hfronda_pdf%5Bproduct%5D=114&tx_hfronda_pdf%5BcompletePDF%5D=1&tx_hfronda_pdf%5Baction%5D=dataSheetPdf&tx_hfronda_pdf%5Bcontroller%5D=Pdf&cHash=9353225c98221829e900e2f8a1650d1e

Raymond Weil recommends that the crown be pullled to position 3 (out) to conserve energy when the watch is not being worn for an extended period of time (page 15): "Your RAYMOND WEIL watch is powered by a battery with an average life of approximately 3 years. In order to make the battery last longer, pull the crown out to position 3 whenever you do not intend to wear your watch for a while."
cdn.raymond-weil.com/WATCHES.img/File/IFU/IFU_Raymond_Weil_Quartz.pdf

Tag Heuer also recommends the same with their quartz watches (see page 3 of the manual for the Formula 1 quartz): "When you are not wearing your watch, battery life may be prolonged by unscrewing the crown and pulling it out to position 3."
www.manualslib.com/manual/325881/Tag-Heuer-Formula-1-Cah1110-Bt0714.html?page=3#manual

Tissot also supports this in their literature. On page 3, they go so far as to say this "If you envisage not wearing your chronograph for several weeks or months, we would advise you to put it to one side with the crown pulled out into position II. This cuts the electrical power supply to the motor, thereby extending battery life considerably."
s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/f0515c073ffc5683c1e9ee3fbf95c489

Certina (ETA G10 movement, look under care and maintenance)
www.clockshop.ru/download/manual/certina/536.pdf

Victorinox (see Airboss Mach 1, Position 3)
www.victorinoxswissarmy.com/i...ss_ENGLISH.pdf

ETA technical guide indicates that their movement should be stored in position 3 (crown out) to reduce battery drain on page 12:
www.awci.com/wp-content/uploads/watch-tech-guides/ETA-TECH-GUIDES-AWCI/Quartz//205_961.pdf

So clearly multiple major movement manufacturers and multiple well respected brands RECOMMEND keeping the crown disengaged for storage to prolong battery life. Based upon the 70-75% power saving with "crown out" and the normal 3 year expected battery life for "crown in" you could estimate that "crown out" may extend the battery life another 2 years.

In addition most experts believe that the average lifespan of a quartz watch movement is btw 20-25 years. This is due to internal wear and tear as well as electrical failure of the integrated circuits. By disengaging the movement when stored you would theoretically also reduce the internal wear and shut off any internal electrical current thus prolonging the overall lifespan of the movement.

-----------------------------------------------

Addendum for those that bring up the "moisture and dust" concerns.

(I'm assuming that you guys aren't storing your watches in an underwater bakery next to the industrial flour and sugar mixer... LOL)

Regarding the "dust and moisture" arguments that are ALWAYS invoked with this particular issue please refer to ANY modern watch design schematic and you will see that the crown and stem have MULTIPLE gaskets along them. Most of those gaskets keep the stem sealed regardless of whether the crown is extended or screwed down.

What this means is that although the watch will not have its MAXIMUM rated water resistance when the crown is extended there are still one or more gaskets in place along the stem that will prevent simple dust and moisture from entering the case. When a stem is pulled out it does not mean that the interior of the case is suddenly open to the environment.

You are far more likely to introduce large dust particles and moisture into the case when the case back is opened for a battery change.

They key is to remember to reseat the crown when taking it out of your case if you plan to wear it. But this would be obvious because you would need to reset the time anyway.

Again, if so many of the companies that make the movements and design the watches (some of which cost multiple thousands of dollars) recommend crown out for battery savings during storage why are people so worried?

Here are the schematics to demonstrate how modern watch stems are sealed:

(watchmann.com) - This shows a crown in the "out" position.  On this design there are three gaskets (in green).  Only ONE is not engaged when the crown is extended.  The other two remain engaged with the stem when the crown is out.
gasket.jpg

(iwc portofino)  Again in this design there are three gaskets (in pink) Two will remain engaged with the stem/tube even when the crown is extended.  Only one will not.
CrownDrawing.jpg

Here is a much more basic design with only two gaskets.  One remains in constant contact with the stem even in the "open" position.  
CrownExternalScrewDown.jpg

(Oris Aquis Depth Gauge)  Four gaskets.  Two remain in contact with the stem when extended.  
3_Case_Construction3.jpg

Thanks Motegi maybe this time the Mods can make this a sticky.So the discussion could be hopefully short!?[br][br]Mike[br][br][br]Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We can only hope!

I also put some of those packets in storage cases to absorb the humidity so it doesn't get in thru the open crown.

Well documented and persuasive post re extending watch battery life![br][br]thanks for posting![br][br][br]

[font color=#)979e6]I've been doing it this way for years & it will save the life of the battery for a much longer time. I also put in those electronic gel /moisture packs in my watch boxes to keep out any moisture out & never any problems.[br][br][br]I know there are those who have a different thought on this subject, but it works for me or I would have stopped many years ago. ;)[/font]

Yep. Those desssicant packs are perfect for keeping the moisture under control inside the watch boxes. [br][br]Regardless all modern watches have extra seals on the stem that will prevent ambient moisture and dust out of the case even when the crown is out. They just won't be fully water resistant for submersion.

Great topic. My wife has a zillion dessication packs from her shoe collection [which is bigger than my watch collection]. Thanks.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

I was so glad reading this a while go...I went through every watch and pulled the crown out...The fact I'm saving battery life and its not hurting my watches is great!

I had no idea that this actually works. I remember Jim skeleton saying that he wouldn't recommended due to moisture possibly damaging the movement. So I never did it and now I'm sitting in 8 oversized invictas that nobody around my area can replace the batteries stating that the watches are too big and they don't have the proper tools to open them. And I would never send them to invicta for 6 months and a crazy price for shipment!!

[font color=#)72a8d size=4]Thank you Motegi, that is some good information to know! That probably would be a good sticky.[/font]

[em][font face=georgia color=#)926e6 size=4]Thanks for posting this piece Motegi. Very helpful indeed. I agree that it should be a sticky as well. :)[/font][/em]

I plan to keep my quartz watches stored without a batterie when they go dead. This should protect both the crown and stem,and prevent moisture from entering.Fresh packs of batteries on hand for when I may want to add one to my rotation.

[strong]That's great information you just shared buddy. Thanks![/strong]

Thanks for the latest comprehensive update on the in/out topic! Great job.

I have been sotring/displaying my quartz watches with the crowns pulled since day one. Seemed logical as hell to me. I didn't even realize there was a debate on this. I've only head from the lazy that they wouldn't want to set the watch every time they put it on. I say that brings me closer to my babies. They then look at me like I'm ripe for the nut hatch. Good times! :D

I've always done this. Usually when you get a new quartz watch it comes with the crown out. A lot of companies have those little white wedges on the crown stems to prevent the crowns from being push in, hence saving the batteries.[br][br]Very good information Koji and thanks for taking the time to gather this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom