If you were given the chance to start all over again

Patsfan1001

Banned
I was going over my current watch collection trying to determine what watches I, would sell or trade away.
And like most, I realized I bought a lot of watches based on impulse probably more than I realized. I recently ordered a
24 slot case off of eBay using my eBay bucks so I figured why not. That's when it hit me I have more watches not being worn
and there will be a lot of empty spaces in the box. I wear watches as small as 38mm-50mm from dress to divers. Speaking of Divers
although I don't dive or know how to swim I still like them. So if I were given the chance to start all over I would buy and collect nothing but
divers mostly Seiko's and Orients since they would be around or near my price range. Watches I would get instead.

Seiko 600M Marine Master Spring Drive

qysm5t.jpg

Seiko 200m GMT Spring Drive

2nsazax.jpg

Seiko 200m Prospex Diver PVD

4e26v.jpg

Seiko 200m Padi Blue Dial

21o9c45.jpg

Seiko 200m Diver Black Dial

1q1jkn.jpg

Seiko Marine Master 300m Green dial limted edition.

2j2vqdy.png

Seiko Turtle Orange dial Limited Edition aka the Nemo

b3x8js.jpg

Seiko Samari Orange dial

t0jh3m.jpg

Orient 300m Saturation Diver Black Dial

64dl4z.jpg

Orient M Force Yellow Dial 200m

2cdvkm1.jpg

Well there you have it the watches I would buy if I could start all over. Lets see yours.

It depends ..... If I were given the chance to start all over, knowing what I know now, just like you, my collection would be mostly divers, a couple of good dress watches, and a beater or three.
But if I'm given the chance to start all over NOT knowing what my tastes would develop to, I would probably follow the same purchase profile as before. Trying all the hits and misses in my collection has helped me learn and develop much of what my current purchase profile is today. I had a lot of fun going through all the different styles, sizes and phases in this hobby. Yeah I've probably spent a lot more than I could have saved, but honestly I don't really regret it. The one thing I DO regret is a few of the gems I sold, traded or gifted that I wish I had back.

My collection is a no theme mess. Having some 100 plus brands I have vintage pieces to the craziest looking oddballs in the watch galaxy. Sizes from 26mm to 58mm. If I had it to start over yeah less impulse buying would've been a wise move. Sometimes bought just because of value for what the cost was. Also would've learned to sell and let go, still need to learn that one.

I’m at 18 divers now, and I’m in a rut. I’ve exhausted the options available in the “bracket” that I’ve been playing in (generally under 2k). There’s just nothing else I really really want. There’s things I like, but I’m just not excited like I used to be. So now what? Trim down and Trade up seems like the only option....

I’m at 18 divers now, and I’m in a rut. I’ve exhausted the options available in the “bracket” that I’ve been playing in (generally under 2k). There’s just nothing else I really really want. There’s things I like, but I’m just not excited like I used to be. So now what? Trim down and Trade up seems like the only option....

Is that good or bad if 18 watches covers EVERY diver you’d ever want ....and that’s in a VERY generous price point.

I mean there’s ALWAYS more Bob, we know this :). I’m just not as excited about them as I was. I have “enough” for right now. May sell a few pieces and try for an Omega.

Is that good or bad if 18 watches covers EVERY diver you’d ever want ....and that’s in a VERY generous price point.

I'm not sure I'll ever buy another watch without selling some that I now have but rarely if ever wear. Impulse buying can be a terrible thing... It was fun at the time of purchase but now looking back and I just shake my head and say to myself... "Did you really need all of them?" If knowing what I know now way back when, I'd have gone a much different route. Much less and stick with the better quality pieces. (as I've done the past few years) That would have been my motto...

I still love most of what I have in my collection now but there are lots of pieces I need to set free...

I'm not sure I'll ever buy another watch without selling some that I now have but rarely if ever wear. Impulse buying can be a terrible thing... It was fun at the time of purchase but now looking back and I just shake my head and say to myself... "Did you really need all of them?" If knowing what I know now way back when, I'd have gone a much different route. Much less and stick with the better quality pieces. (as I've done the past few years) That would have been my motto...

I still love most of what I have in my collection now but there are lots of pieces I need to set free...

Post em up here, Joel...I’ll bet they’d move quick, given your WOTD posts.

I think I would be in the same spot as I am now but i would have taken a more direct route to get there. I am at the point in my collection where I have about 23-24 but they are ones I really like and plan on keeping. I have some PP money stewing but nothing is on the radar right now due to some bills that piled up all of a sudden so I better keep that rainy day cash handy just in case. I think knowing then what I know now I wouldn't have bought as many "fashion" pieces on the low end and saved that money for a nicer piece. Yea, most of my stuff would be considered "fashion" pieces in the grand scheme but I think you get my drift. SO in sum: rewind 10ish years...buy better not more and still have the same pieces in the end (insert joke here)

Sell all my watches except my Maurice Lacroix, Oris, Invicta Diamond & Meteorite watches,and my tourby watches and my Koi fish bolt watches. Then get some higher end watches. Omega, Zenith, Jaquet Droz, Rolex. Too name a few. I sound like this guy in the video.

Sell all my watches except my Maurice Lacroix, Oris, Invicta Diamond & Meteorite watches,and my tourby watches and my Koi fish bolt watches. Then get some higher end watches. Omega, Zenith, Jaquet Droz, Rolex. Too name a few.

That is the best scene in that great movie. Well that and the gas station when he was being shot.

I would add a few more Chronographs.

That is all.

Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.

I don't think I would change much. And interestingly as I've sold off pieces over the last couple years I've found the ones I'm compeled to keep are the ones I got early on and most recently. The ones in the middle have been able to go. Why? I do think I ramped up to a point where I was adding to the collection rather than adding individual pieces I loved. So I wouldn't change how I started but I would perhaps have changed the middle. Not gotten any doubles. Not gotten any watches for the deal rather than the individual piece.

Back
Top Bottom