REVIEW: Oris PRO DIVER POINTER MOON Diver Kit Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

motegi

Tyme Machine
How about I kick start this section with some of my old reviews?

------------------------------------

MOONRAKER - performed by Shirley Bassey
Click video for sountrack to this review

ORIS Pro Diver Pointer Moon Diver Kit Review

SPECS

• Brand Oris
  • Model number 01 761 7682 7154-Set
  • Gender Mens
  • Series ProDiver Pointer Moon
  • Movement Oris 761 (base SW220) 26 jewel automatic
  • Functions Date, Hour, Minute, Second, Moonphase Indicator
  • Case Material Stainless Steel
  • Case Shape Round
  • Case Diameter 49 mm
  • Case Back Solid
  • Crown Screw Down
  • Dial Color Black
  • Dial Type Analog
  • Dial Markers Index
  • Hands Silver-tone
  • Luminiscents Hands and Markers
  • Bracelet Stainless Steel
  • Clasp Fold Over with Safety
  • Calendar Date display at the 5 o'clock position
  • Water Resistant 1000 meters / 3281 ft.
  • Crystal Scratch Resistant Sapphire

14016507520_3c4e7a7550_o.jpg
[/url]

INTRO

As an Oris dive watch junkie there had been a huge gap in my collection that demanded to be filled. That gap happened to be the size of the Oris Pro Diver series.

Having recently sold several pieces in my collection, I saved up enough to be able to purchase one of the newest models in the Oris Pro Diver lineup, the Pointer Moon.

This Oris, introduced at Baselworld 2013, is unique in being the first mechanical wristwatch to indicate both the lunar cycle and tidal range. The Pointer Moon does so by way of the unique hourglass shaped dial marking and the accessory pointer hand.

vl1_image.1247351.jpg

Oris brand ambassador and professional diver Roman Frischknecht understands the critical importance of monitoring the tidal currents when planning and performing subsea operations. It was for this reason that he collaborated with Oris in the development of this groundbreaking watch.

moon_phases_diagram.jpg

Gravitational forces exerted upon the earth by the moon and the sun generate tidal currents that reoccur on a 29.53 day cycle coinciding with a lunar month. When the sun and moon are aligned on the same side of the earth it is considered a "new moon" and the tide range and tidal currents are at a maximum due to the combined gravitational forces. Likewise as the moon's position changes with respect to the earth during the lunar month the tidal range is altered.

PRESENTATION

As one of the flagship models in the Pro Diver family this watch is packaged in a hardshell flip lock pelican style dive case. It features the trademark black and red fabric covered outer box with a recessed slot at the bottom for the hardbound owners manual.

14016476369_891188c491_o.jpg

14223285423_072be1bef6_o.jpg

14016543797_578ec23a45_o.jpg

Inside the lid of the dive case is a large color photograph of Roman Frischknecht in his dive suit. In addition there is a foam tray with a 23 page color brochure that provides an overview of the Pointer Moon's features as well as a bit of information about Roman Frischknecht himself.

14016475029_2924270949_o.jpg

The watch itself is presented on a titanium bracelet and accompanied by an interchangeable new design rubber strap along with strap changing tools and spare screws.

14016475228_99335f0e59_o.jpg

Honestly I find Oris' diver kit packaging and presentation to be among the best in the business and even puts brands costing many multiples more to shame.

BEZEL

The ProDiver series differs from the other Oris divers in the use of a patented locking divers bezel system. The bezel features an outer vulcanized rubber ring which can be "unlocked" by raising it vertically. When unlocked you can then adjust the ceramic timer scale to set the dive timer. Once set you then depress the outer ring to lock the bezel in place. In the "down" position the outer ring can be rotated to align with the crown without affecting the dive timer position. This is truly an ingenious design and greatly reduces the risk of accidentally bumping and altering the dive timer while subsurface.

14200635802_60b38933d1_o.jpg

As I mentioned above the bezel insert is made of a highly scratch resistant ceramic and finished in matte brushed black with deeply etched and white paint filled markings. There are also six unique tristar screw heads exposed around the periphery

14223283993_0eef1d31cd_o.jpg

CASE

The 1000 meter rated 49mm case on this watch is very similar to that of the Aquis Diver range. It features the trademark rounded/sloped case sides informally described as the Oris Donut. The wide chunky lug shape and design are also the well known Oris diver style. There is an automatic helium release valve integrated into the 9 o'clock side of the case and a signed screw down crown on the 3 o'clock side.

14223282763_52c24c2b42_o.jpg

14199851291_15467e44a1_o.jpg

14199851591_f1dc46c103_o.jpg

In contrast to the Aquis Diver the large crown protectors on the Pro Diver Pointer Moon are DLC coated black as opposed to brushed silver tone.

14016473959_b2eb4ae76e_o.jpg
[/url]

DIAL

As mentioned in the introduction the dial is what allows this watch to perform its namesake functions. The combination of the orange tidal range marking and the orange lunar phase pictograms are combined with the orange coaxial pointer hand and a series of concentric debossed rings to indicate the tidal range for that day.

14223283993_0eef1d31cd_o.jpg
[/URL]"]DSC02053by legendtuner, on Flickr[/IMG]

It is important to note that Oris produces two different versions of this dial as the "waxing" and "waning" segments of the lunar cycle are reversed based on which side of the equator one resides.

MOVEMENT

Powering this watch is the Oris 761 caliber based on the Sellita SW220. This movement has been modified to accommodate the accessory coaxial lunar pointer hand. This 26 jewel movement is running at 28,800 vph and has a 38 hour power reserve.

14409496194_a7753598a5_o.jpg

I tested my particular watch on my Ace Timer Timegrapher and was impressed that it performed within COSC standard at +4 seconds/day.

BRACELET & STRAP

As mentioned, the Pro Diver Pointer Moon is presented as a kit and includes both the titanium multilink bracelet with pushbutton deployant divers clasp with wetsuit extension along with the new design rubber strap.

14016475228_99335f0e59_o.jpg

Oris ingenious new rubber strap is a welcome addition and allows one to forget the nightmare of the "cut to fit" rubber straps on their older divers. The magic lies in the clasp design which tucks the "tail" end of the strap on the inside rather than on the outside like on most other watches. The clasp also features an adjustable divers extension thats as easy as depressing the buttons on either side with ones fingers and sliding the clasp tighter or looser based on ones preference.

13789342603_55a4a11439_o.jpg

(Oris Depth Gauge pictured. Rubber strap is the same on both watches)

LUME

Super Luminova illuminates the hour markers, hour/minute hands, and 12 o'clock bezel marker. It provides long lasting pale green illumination which ensures that this watch will remain legible for many hours under the sea surface.

14016472428_26da8efb1b_o.jpg

CONCLUSION

Overall I am very excited to have added my first Pro Diver to my burgeoning Oris collection. And the Pointer Moon complication really sets this watch apart from anything else that I own. From the presentation box to the included interchangeable strap/bracelet I think that this watch should be on the short list for anyone looking to add an Oris into their collection.

14180006236_e10ca624cb_o.jpg

PROS
Lunar cycle and tidal range display
26 jewel swiss mechanical automatic movement
Presentation dive box and included extras
Ceramic bezel insert with patented locking bezel system
Sapphire crystal with AR coating

CONS
Some concern about the long term durability of the vulcanized rubber grip on the bezel ring
Slight dial variation needed based on use in northern vs southern hemispheres

I know I've seen these before, but your reviews & pics are much more interesting than anything on the tube...

looks sweet

Talk about your fine timepieces....this one is right up there. What an interesting dial. Love the look of the dial work. Thank you for the review. :)

[strong]That's a wonderful dial layout on this piece. Great review buddy![/strong]

[em][font face=georgia color=#24)9e6 size=4]Just an awesome time piece, and review. Thanks for posting it here. :)[/font][/em]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom