Not open for further replies.

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
maxresdefault.jpg

ACSszfFcrJyVqgZBM9YwqxIEehI5iT2-jpGQVYtiLA=s88-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no
WatchBox Reviews
Published on May 23, 2018

Great way to promote their watch sales and become better informed.

I bought mine for $999 from this guy on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Pros...041523&hash=item33e9f4ea32:g:i6oAAOSwwcda7zS9

(^^^^^ It doesn't say it in his ad, but he ships pretty fast--DHL, I think. I got mine in under a week, if I recall properly.)

With today's coupon code you could get this one home for $899, which would be a HELLUVA deal!

Initially, I wasn't going to buy this watch. But after seeing it and trying it on at the Seiko Boutique, I capitulated.....

attachment.php

^^^A dynamite piece indeed, TC!:happy: A big congratulations!:dance2: An outstanding presentation on the wrist!:wink:^^^
Thanks for posting this up, Mike.
:cheers:

This one is on the high side, even with the sapphire crystal, it's hard to justify the price. IMO $900.00 can buy so many watches like Hamilton, Steinhart to name just a few and still have change left over.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/ask-wa...hanical-watch-movements-good-swiss-movements/

Well, just to take the other side for a minute, the other variants of this watch, the 053 and the 051, are normal production watches and have been selling for $550-750 and $650-$850, respectively. These prices have been established for 6 months or so now, and mostly towards the high side of those ranges (although more recently not....).

This green 059 is a Limited Edition of 1,000 and has the super sharp emerald dial and a pretty nice Seiko Bracelet. So that's what got me comfortable with paying the $999. Truth be told, I did buy it on a day when I got 10% eBay Bucks back, so my net after eBay bucks was $899.

To me, if you can pay $899 and get this as a Limited Edition Seiko on a bracelet, in a unique color (for Seiko) vs. the black 051 which is also on a bracelet, @$750, then I probably would take the Limited Edition every time. Limited Edition Seikos do have some teeth vs. a lot of other company's Limited Editions, in my humble opinion.

Now, all that said, I can certainly sit back and take a look around at the rest of the watch world and find a ton of very high quality Swiss brands in this price range. Hamilton, Zodiac, Grovana, Stainhart, Tissot, Certina, Mido, Glycine, Edox, even Raymond Weil all have SWISS MADE AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPHS that you can buy for under $1,000 if you catch the right sale. The relative value is definitely out of whack vs. this $900 Seiko 3 hand.

I am somewhat at a loss to explain the apparent disparity. As a comparison, looking at Rolex.....you pay $6,000 and up for a 3 hand diver vs. other Swiss brands which cost 1/10th of the price. From a functionality standpoint, those other brands may have a similar level of quality.

With Rolex you are paying a lot for the brand name, and perhaps it is well-deserved. To some extent, the same may be true of Seiko......

Well, just to take the other side for a minute, the other variants of this watch, the 053 and the 051, are normal production watches and have been selling for $550-750 and $650-$850 for 6 months or so now, and mostly towards the high side of those ranges (although more recently not....).

This green 059 is a Limited Edition of 1,000 and has the super sharp emerald dial and a pretty nice Seiko Bracelet. So that's what got me comfortable with paying the $999. Truth be told, I did buy it on a day when I got 10% eBay Bucks back, so my net after eBay bucks was $899.

To me, if you can pay $899 and get this as a Limited Edition Seiko on a bracelet, in a unique color (for Seiko) vs. the black 051 which is also on a bracelet, @$750, then I probably would take the Limited Edition every time. Limited Edition Seikos do have some teeth vs. a lot of other company's Limited Editions, in my humble opinion.

Now, all that said, I can certainly sit back and take a look around at the rest of the watch world and find a ton of very high quality Swiss brands in this price range. Hamilton, Zodiac, Grovana, Stainhart, Tissot, Certina, Mido, Glycine, Edox, even Raymond Weil all have SWISS MADE AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPHS that you can buy for under $1,000 if you catch the right sale. The relative value is definitely out of whack vs. this $900 Seiko 3 hand.

I am somewhat at a loss to explain the apparent disparity. As a comparison, looking at Rolex.....you pay $6,000 and up for a 3 hand diver vs. other Swiss brands which cost 1/10th of the price. From a functionality standpoint, those other brands may have a similar level of quality.

With Rolex you are paying a lot for the brand name, and perhaps it is well-deserved. To some extent, the same may be true of Seiko......

Everything you said makes sense to me. We spend our own money according to personal preferences. Some people have less disposable cash than others and have to be more selective. I've learned this the hard way myself. After too many impulse buys, in the wee hours of the morning after a 15 hour shift and s**t faced, too tired to sleep. Nothing on the boob tube, I find SHOPNBC chumming the waters for gullible fools like I was at the time. If I could do a reboot and jettison all of those poor choices, watches like this Seiko would be welcome in their place. The bottom line with this particular watch is you snagged something you wanted and are happy with the deal. You will have no trouble recouping your investment.

Everything you said makes sense to me. We spend our own money according to personal preferences. Some people have less disposable cash than others and have to be more selective. I've learned this the hard way myself. After too many impulse buys, in the wee hours of the morning after a 15 hour shift and s**t faced, too tired to sleep. Nothing on the boob tube, I find SHOPNBC chumming the waters for gullible fools like I was at the time. If I could do a reboot and jettison all of those poor choices, watches like this Seiko would be welcome in their place. The bottom line with this particular watch is you snagged something you wanted and are happy with the deal. You will have no trouble recouping your investment.

Honestly, one of the things that I like about the Seikos is the resale value. I feel pretty comfortable that I can get most or even all of my money back if I want to sell one or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom