Help. how to properly fix the moon phase ISA 8171/204

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpuma55

Tyme Watcher
hello,

i have an Invicta with a moon phase with the movement ISA SPECIALTY 8171/204 I've tried to fix the moon phase according to the instructions but it just doesn't work I was wondering if anybody knows how to properly set the moon phase. because as of now I have on the date 17 and is on full moon.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!

This is what I did. Not sure if it is the "correct" way of doing it or not.

Take a day that you know is a Full Moon. Like say, the 17. Keep rotating the date wheel until the full moon image appears in the center. You man have to cycle through many times before this happens. It's a bit of a pain. But eventually you will have the full moon appear in the center on the 17th.

Hope this helps!

Joe C.

This is what I did. Not sure if it is the "correct" way of doing it or not.

Take a day that you know is a Full Moon. Like say, the 17. Keep rotating the date wheel until the full moon image appears in the center. You man have to cycle through many times before this happens. It's a bit of a pain. But eventually you will have the full moon appear in the center on the 17th.

Hope this helps!

Joe C.

I've tried the problem is that from what the manual said. the only way to change the moon phase you also have to move the date. so If I wanna have the correct date the moon phase is way off. or the other way around, if I wanna have the correct moon phase then the date is off. I cant find a way to modify the moon phase without changing the date.

The instructions aren't the best in the world but I believe it works the same as my mechanical - moon phase is adjusted by rotating the crown counter clockwise and the date should be set with the crown clockwise while in the second or middle position. With any luck the date quick set doesn't move the moon phase.

Once they're "coordinated" the phase and time will move together with the crown at its furthest position like you were adjusting the minute hand - no quick set. Keep grinding away at the minute hand adjustment until you get to the current date and the phase should have moved similarly.

I downloaded the PDF of the movement instructions and, if one zooms in, a counter clockwise arrow can be seen. It then refers you back to the date set instruction which shows a clockwise rotation.

I can't swear to it working but that's how my mechanical works but those ISA instructions just aren't made for my eyes - I had to zoom in a lot to pick up on the little arrow.

I can't think of a practical use for a moon phase complication but I like them anyway.

If I might be forgiven the non-Invicta content:
MGXVqHL.jpg

The instructions aren't the best in the world but I believe it works the same as my mechanical - moon phase is adjusted by rotating the crown counter clockwise and the date should be set with the crown clockwise while in the second or middle position. With any luck the date quick set doesn't move the moon phase.

Once they're "coordinated" the phase and time will move together with the crown at its furthest position like you were adjusting the minute hand - no quick set. Keep grinding away at the minute hand adjustment until you get to the current date and the phase should have moved similarly.

I downloaded the PDF of the movement instructions and, if one zooms in, a counter clockwise arrow can be seen. It then refers you back to the date set instruction which shows a clockwise rotation.

I can't swear to it working but that's how my mechanical works but those ISA instructions just aren't made for my eyes - I had to zoom in a lot to pick up on the little arrow.

I can't think of a practical use for a moon phase complication but I like them anyway.

If I might be forgiven the non-Invicta content:

Normally we would say you can't be forgiven, but being a Christopher Ward we can probably forgive you this time. ::):

An old Nicolet I had...It was a ISA.
31 days on the watch.
And the full moon every 27 days.
Had to go around all 31 days probably 20 times ( turning all 31 days ) till the moon was full on the last month and date was correct. Then advance to the next (this) month.
It was a pita. There are several ways these are made. Now days it should havea pusher ( need a toothpick) and advance the moon until it is right :grin

View attachment 800

That would drive me insane in short order. Using the quick set date while leaving the moon phase alone is what makes 28, 29 and 30 day months tolerable.

If one went from Feb 28 to March 1 via the minute hand it would throw the moon phase off by 3 days. By the end of the year it'd be out of whack by a week.

The number of days in a month is an artificial construct of the Gregorian calendar where the moon cycle is always the same length for all practical purposes. If the date and moon phase couldn't be adjusted independently it'd be a steaming mess. Then again I may be missing something obvious or mis-reading the problem but the dual rotation system works as well as the pusher on my M308 SeaGull. The ISA has to have that same functionality unless it's somehow defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom