Sometimes affordability can be a bit of a double-edged sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dangers are that I buy too many of them LOL

I'm not so sure I agree. I love my $200 Seiko Monsters, etc. And I sometimes feel like I get more enjoyment from a $600 Hammy Aviator than my $2,000 and up Breitlings, IWC's, etc.

I'll never get that 6 minutes of my life back......

Watches for thought. Makes a lot of sense. All my affordable purchases do take away
from my Omega and Fortis goals. I do think bout this so more discipline to get to my goal.
I would expand the dollar amount to anything $400. and below.

I'm not so sure I agree. I love my $200 Seiko Monsters, etc. And I sometimes feel like I get more enjoyment from a $600 Hammy Aviator than my $2,000 and up Breitlings, IWC's, etc.

I'll never get that 6 minutes of my life back......

I'll never get that 6 minutes of my life back.

What would you do with the six minutes? Buy a few more watches?:hmm:

What would you do with the six minutes? Buy a few more watches?:hmm:

Ha! That's pretty funny! Sorry, I was being cynical.

But seriously, I am not sure I agree with this guy. I think we all get a lot of joy from the $100-$200 watches. The idea that it's better not to buy them and to save up for one very expensive watch is really questionable in my mind. I've owned some pretty expensive watches. Many times I have said to myself, is this one watch 25x better than a $100 or a $200 watch? Every single time the answer was no--it's much more fun to be able to buy a bunch of less expensive watches--for me, anyway.

I mean, think about all of the microbrands....Deep Blue (if you can still call them a micro), Borealis, Zoretto, Armida, Haldor, etc. Don't you feel like you are getting a really good quality timepiece for $200-$600? I know I do. And even though I do still have some of the more expensive Swiss pieces, I have sold many of them because I feel like the value is better below $1,000 than above it. Just my very humble opinion....

But I'm glad you started this thread, RW. It's a very interesting topic--relative value in watch collecting.

I agree with all of the above TC. I have many I picked up on impulse, but hindsight is 20/20. If I took a fraction of those watches I own which I wouldn't think of buying today, I could easily pick up a few Omega's, etc. It would not detract anything from the rest that I've enjoyed accumulating with this madness.

I agree with all of the above TC. I have many I picked up on impulse, but hindsight is 20/20. If I took a fraction of those watches I own which I wouldn't think of buying today, I could easily pick up a few Omega's, etc. It would not detract anything from the rest that I've enjoyed accumulating with this madness.

What liberates me is the ability to sell. I unload the impulse purchases with zero impunity. If it arrives and I don't like it, it either goes back as a return, or gets listed on eBay. This recently happened with the Spinnaker Hull. Was smaller in person than in the photos. It was gone in a week, near breakeven after fees.

​A very interesting video indeed. For me? I buy what I like. If there is a watch I can't afford, there is always another one I can.:wink: Thanks Mike.:cheers:

​A very interesting video indeed. For me? I buy what I like. If there is a watch I can't afford, there is always another one I can.:wink: Thanks Mike.:cheers:

This is a great point Dayman, and I couldn't agree more. The watch world is so vast. If you fall in love with an expensive watch, or a watch that is sold out, something else will invariably come along.

My Seven deadly sins of watch collecting.

1)Lust.... Always craving another watch instead of being satisfied
2)Gluttony ....Owning more watches than one person should, but yet will still buy another
3)Greed ....Knowing how I feel about #2 and tell myself just one more.
4)Sloth.... Too lazy to make an effort to sell off so many that lie dormant
5)Wraith ....Angry for not being more like Timecat to ship them all out on the bay
6)Envy.... Admire normal people having self-control who are not watch addicts
7)Pride....Is what I once had before the above first six

​I knew there was a reason why there was a chair at the table, with your name on it, Mike:wink:! Sit down, and join the crowd, my friend.:cheers:

2)Gluttony ....Owning more watches than one person should, but yet will still buy another
5)Wraith ....Angry for not being more like Timecat to ship them all out on the bay

In the scheme of things, there are many worse sins out there then collecting a few timepieces. JMHO......

That sums it up for me as well. Now I need to get back to re-committing the same sins over again. Which also is the mark of insanity as well. Got it all working right now.

In the scheme of things, there are many worse sins out there then collecting a few timepieces. JMHO......

You are better at it then people like RW or me. We rarely sell so there are tons of skeletons laying in the closets that probably at some point need somewhere else to haunt.

That sums it up for me as well. Now I need to get back to re-committing the same sins over again. Which also is the mark of insanity as well. Got it all working right now.

INSANITY........Let me see:hmm:........That means your NOT ACCOUNTABLE, for ANY of your actions!:happy:Works for me!:hat:.................:lol:

You my friend nailed it. I feel the same. I had at one point 8 versions of every watch I liked and my collection ballooned into the hundreds. So I agree a bit with this guy. If I had not impulsively accumulated so much of the same I would have more of the top tier watches also to account for. I still love what I bought but I just wouldn’t buy so much of the same if I could do it all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom