Car salesman tells all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being in the car business, I find these very interesting. After about 20 minutes I couldn't watch anymore. He has a lot of great points, and I don't disagree with most of what he said. I only watched the first 2. I found it funny that he contradicted himself with the "ripoff" sticker saying they don't use them, and then shows some a few minutes later.

The biggest thing that I think was interesting was the trade video though. All of his points were great, he is right, takes me maybe 10 minutes to figure out what a car is worth. The ACV and Allowance numbers are all great. On the which book to use, greatly depends on your area. East Coast uses Kelley Blue Book, west coast used NADA. NADA is what we use here in Idaho. I really like his ask if they would write a check, but then again, if they are offering the 7k allowance number and you ask that because you really don't know what your car is worth, they just slammed you and made the $2k that he was talking about.

Now Mike, I know you weren't calling us out, just posting some videos and I take no offense to any of this, so please don't read my comments that way.

My personal view of this guy, he is giving all his local viewers and customers, a false sense of security. By showing all these things and how to get the best of your dealer he is getting people to believe that he won't do it to the viewers. I bet if we pulled 10 deals every month from the last year there would be Under Allowances on trades, products that are sold that are a shame, and rates from the banks and credit unions that have 2% markup which makes the dealer money as well. For any dealer to say they don't do these things is a flat lie. I mark rate up and I under allow on trades on occasion. Its how we make money. I agree there is a difference between making a profit and screwing someone, but there is a difference of opinion on where all of this is. I have had people pissed off that we made $2000 on them when they bought a $30k car. I made less than 10%, paid my sales guy $600, paid finance another $100 of that and still had to pay my other overhead. How is that being screwed?

At the end of the day, if you don't feel like the dealer is getting you the best deal or the RIGHT deal, walk out. There are hundreds of dealers in each town let alone a big city, and there are millions of cars for sale. This business is very transparent now, and you guys, the consumers are all very smart when it comes to what cars are priced at, what they are worth, and what loan rates are. There is no reason anyone should feel screwed anymore. Just do your homework and be prepared when you go in. After all is said and done, the good deals are the ones you are comfortable with and one the dealer is comfortable with. If you are not comfortable with it, move on until you are.

Just my 2 cents on this.

Thanks for the videos Mike, they were interesting, and did have some good bits of information in there.

My brother works for a Ford dealership, first as a salesman, then up the chain. I'm lucky because he will get me the best deal possible and since I like Ford products enough I get the A plan employee family rate. Buying a car from him in the next week, paying cash, and it's nice to have an in when buying a car.

pin stripes etc WORTH WATCHING

-already made some coin on PG RETENTION DEPT thread-

Being in the car business, I find these very interesting. After about 20 minutes I couldn't watch anymore. He has a lot of great points, and I don't disagree with most of what he said. I only watched the first 2. I found it funny that he contradicted himself with the "ripoff" sticker saying they don't use them, and then shows some a few minutes later.

The biggest thing that I think was interesting was the trade video though. All of his points were great, he is right, takes me maybe 10 minutes to figure out what a car is worth. The ACV and Allowance numbers are all great. On the which book to use, greatly depends on your area. East Coast uses Kelley Blue Book, west coast used NADA. NADA is what we use here in Idaho. I really like his ask if they would write a check, but then again, if they are offering the 7k allowance number and you ask that because you really don't know what your car is worth, they just slammed you and made the $2k that he was talking about.

Now Mike, I know you weren't calling us out, just posting some videos and I take no offense to any of this, so please don't read my comments that way.

My personal view of this guy, he is giving all his local viewers and customers, a false sense of security. By showing all these things and how to get the best of your dealer he is getting people to believe that he won't do it to the viewers. I bet if we pulled 10 deals every month from the last year there would be Under Allowances on trades, products that are sold that are a shame, and rates from the banks and credit unions that have 2% markup which makes the dealer money as well. For any dealer to say they don't do these things is a flat lie. I mark rate up and I under allow on trades on occasion. Its how we make money. I agree there is a difference between making a profit and screwing someone, but there is a difference of opinion on where all of this is. I have had people pissed off that we made $2000 on them when they bought a $30k car. I made less than 10%, paid my sales guy $600, paid finance another $100 of that and still had to pay my other overhead. How is that being screwed?

At the end of the day, if you don't feel like the dealer is getting you the best deal or the RIGHT deal, walk out. There are hundreds of dealers in each town let alone a big city, and there are millions of cars for sale. This business is very transparent now, and you guys, the consumers are all very smart when it comes to what cars are priced at, what they are worth, and what loan rates are. There is no reason anyone should feel screwed anymore. Just do your homework and be prepared when you go in. After all is said and done, the good deals are the ones you are comfortable with and one the dealer is comfortable with. If you are not comfortable with it, move on until you are.

Just my 2 cents on this.

Thanks for the videos Mike, they were interesting, and did have some good bits of information in there.

No offense taken Dan. I was curious on your take. I did not agree with some of the stuff and certain points seemed contradictory to me as well. Everyone deserves to make an honest living. I'm going back a decade since tools have been around on the WWW to assist someone buying a vehicle. In my travels I looked in several different states at Toyota dealers before I purchased my truck. After I narrowed it down to the trim, color and anything else, I made the very best deal I could find on the WWW. I eliminated any haggling with finance or anything else and cut a check for the truck so I didn't have payments and took the online Toyota incentives in cash.

I used to buy from this guy when I was in the area.

https://www.amazon.com/Customers-Life-One-Time-Lifetime-Customer/dp/0385504454

Even after reading the book I found it amazing that he had a nearly cult-like loyalty from his customers and I'd have to admit I was one of them.

There was one piece of wisdom in the book I never forgot: something along the lines of "You can shear a sheep any number of times but you can only skin him once."

If a customer finds out he paid considerably more than he should have in the heat of the moment he will eventually learn of it and feel "skinned". With Sewell even if you showed up pushing your trade-in and looking as desperate as a junkie going cold turkey you'd still get a deal that subsequent research made you feel good about (or at least not bent over the trestle). Consequently I went back time and again to get sheared.

I haven't yet found the equivalent in Florida so I've developed a taste for used vehicles sold with a strict "no haggle" policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom