If You Open a Watermelon and See This, Throw It Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member

I was born and brought up in Dhaka, so I never had the chance to climb big trees and eat fresh fruits. My parents on the other hand, were pretty good at it during their childhood. I still hear my father telling me stories of how he would climb the highest branch of the mango tree to get the best mango, and ate it right there. I always wanted to try it whenever I went to villages, but the scenarios have changed now. As pesticides are sprayed on the trees directly now, ingestion of fruits in those trees may have acute effects and might even lead to death. The deaths of 14 children on June 2012, aged two to ten years in Dinajpur and Thakurgaon districts, who had ‘poisoned lychees’ straight from the trees (sprayed with pesticides), still shake us. In Bangladesh, pesticide poisoning related deaths represented 8% of all hospital deaths for people aged 15-49 years in 2009 (source-icddr, b).

is-it-safe.png

We are ingesting pesticides 40 times of what an average American does due to indiscriminate and unregulated use of pesticide. Harmful fungicides are used to ripen fruits and rushed to market for a quick buck; vegetables are dipped in ‘magic poison’ to appear fresh for a longer period and sustain natural degradation. Lady fingers, cabbage, tomatoes are poisoned to an utmost. Having those opens a doorway for consumers towards cancer, genetic defect, impotency, slow poisoning, miscarriages and even death. Since we are ingesting them in small amounts, but regularly (chronic exposure), the damage is slow but inevitable. In this article, I am going to point out the unremitting effect of pesticides, how they are affecting the environment and how we could help ourselves to come out of this.

afra2-2.jpg

Forchlorfenuron is a plant growth regulator. It has been approved for use on kiwi fruit and grapes in the USA, and it has been associated with exploding watermelons in China. CPPU can be used to produce better sizes in all the food crops and fruits.

article-0-0C1D1E9D00000578-124_1024x615_large.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/may/17/exploding-watermelons-chinese-farming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom